aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
scott.wright

Union Terrace Gardens

this idea of halting progress in the arts because 'we don't need it' is quite appalling... and patronising to the many workers in this sector in Aberdeen

if this project hadn't been initialised we'd have seen a bigger exodus of what artistic talent is still actually here (always a problem for grays + co) and the total collapse of confidence in an industry that aims to be here a lot longer than the riches of oil

yes the council is in a financial mire and important services have suffered but my god, let's try and have confidence in progressing this city please... hence the 2 separate expenditure pools

for the record, the colour in the belmont in 'dungeon master mustard' (according to dulux)

again with the mis-guided idea that the council will be responsible for the "spend"...they are putting money into a larger pot - looked after by (hopfully) somone who spends it and uses it wisely. knock knock.

You're missing my point. I'm arguing about the fact that I don't think ACC are in any position to spend money on something like this. I don't care what "pot" or "budget" this money belongs to or what specific things it us supposedly meant to be spent on. I'm talking about the bigger picture - the bottom line. The ACC is bust - so why is it throwing 3 million of other people's money at a new arts centre? Are you really telling me that's the best use of the money? Seriously?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I could argue about this point for days. I've said my piece, generated some debate and so now I'll bow out...

You're missing my point. I'm arguing about the fact that I don't think ACC are in any position to spend money on something like this. I don't care what "pot" or "budget" this money belongs to or what specific things it us supposedly meant to be spent on. I'm talking about the bigger picture - the bottom line. The ACC is bust - so why is it throwing 3 million of other people's money at a new arts centre? Are you really telling me that's the best use of the money? Seriously?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I could argue about this point for days. I've said my piece, generated some debate and so now I'll bow out...

aye, you leave the debate now, and go out the to the kelvin grove, or tron, or cca, or.....

yes isn't it enchanting that the likes of Glasgow cured all their social + health problems before putting money towards the pesky arts... the lovely carpeted streets in those ever so kitsch housing estates with cute knife-yielding gangs helping the grannies do their daily chores... such harmony that hopefully one day will come to Aberdeen

There is one thing to consider - it may be that building a high profile project in the centre of the city will give the general city centre economy a big kick in the arse. What else could ACC build for 3 million pounds that would have the same sort of impact? Very little, I'm guessing - 3 million doesn't pay for much in public sector terms.

One question however - who is going to own this building? If it's a grant for a private concern, then I entirely understand people's views - it is quite hard to justify public money being used to fund a private concern.

Kingswells is zoned for Bankhead rather than Hazelhead. They are building a new Bankhead Academy.

No, no, you misunderstand :p What I don't understand is why there isn't a school in Kingswells anyway :)

One question however - who is going to own this building? If it's a grant for a private concern, then I entirely understand people's views - it is quite hard to justify public money being used to fund a private concern.

*sigh*, no, it isn't, we went over all this ground in the Lemon Tree thread, I can't be bothered going through it all again.

No, no, you misunderstand :p What I don't understand is why there isn't a school in Kingswells anyway :)

I understand entirely - the reason is, Kingswells is zoned for Bankhead, and there is adequate capacity there.

*sigh*, no, it isn't, we went over all this ground in the Lemon Tree thread, I can't be bothered going through it all again..

do you want a job in the Belmont?

• Upvote 1

Guest treader.

street level!?!?!?

how the hell would that work? what would go underneath? or would it just be....dirt?!

this sounds really gay.

Guest treader.

well yeah, but you mean to tell me they're going to raise union terrace gardens RIGHT THE WAY up to the level of the road itself!?

well yeah, but you mean to tell me they're going to raise union terrace gardens RIGHT THE WAY up to the level of the road itself!?

At least it will get rid of all the drunks and junkies that litter the gardens at present.

Maybe even under the road itself.

why thankyou kindly.

if it could be done, then i`m sure the whole (most) of aberdeen would be happy to see it?

but then again this kinda thing could be years and years away!

could the arts centre not go in the place of the (hopefully) soon to be dismantled St Nicholas House, sit quite nicely alongside provosts hoose

dont know much about it but is there funding already in place for the arts centre? or it an ongoing thing?

from the Peacock press Release today:

With regard to Peacock being part of the new scheme, we have been unable to elicit any details on how this might work. However, the only schematic option that we understand Sir Ian is willing to finance is one which we would face significant challenges in being part of for the following reasons;

1. Peacock will be homeless in 3 years: our present lease ends in 2011. The landlords have a major redevelopment plan for the site that they are keen to progress.

2. The 4.3m we have secured from Scottish Arts Council Lottery will not, SAC has told us, be simply transferable to a new scheme or site. Any significant change in our development would necessitate a completely new application with no guarantee of success. Within the next eighteen months or so, Creative Scotland, the new cultural development agency, will take over lottery responsibilities from SAC. There are no indications that the new body will have any major capital scheme or budget.

3. The 2m allocated by Scottish Enterprise must be used by end March 2011. Failing that it will be returned to COSLA for reallocation to other city centre regeneration projects, anywhere in Scotland.

4. A further 250,000 has been secured from the European Union Build with Care Scheme. This award forms part of a 750K EU grant to Aberdeen City Council. The Union Terrace Gardens project is one of two demonstration projects out of 32 partners involved in the scheme and underpins the wider grant. This money also must be spent by 2011 and on this specific project.

5. Delay means inflation will increase the costs of our project. On an estimated build cost of 10m this is 500,000 per annum. The complexity of Sir Ian's favoured scheme and the likelihood of prolonged negotiations regarding permissions etc will certainly mean a number of years of significant inflationary increases, even if the current economic climate allows a factor of less than 10% to be applied. Our present programme is based on a total project cost of 13.5m. Any significant increase to this will jeopardise the projects feasibility.

6. If we are unable to proceed until the outcomes of the feasibility study are known and a decision taken on them Peacock will have to dismantle its project team. This will involve the immediate loss of at least three jobs at Peacock and all of its design team and consultants.

could the arts centre not go in the place of the (hopefully) soon to be dismantled St Nicholas House, sit quite nicely alongside provosts hoose

I have a feeling that that site, or a very large chunk of it is already slated for a bus-related scheme for First.

I have a feeling that that site, or a very large chunk of it is already slated for a bus-related scheme for First.

Is Stewarty Milne not building the new First headquarters at their old site right now?

Is Stewarty Milne not building the new First headquarters at their old site right now?

Yup, but let's not let the facts get in the way of a good conpiracy theory.

• Upvote 1