aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
scott.wright

Union Terrace Gardens

But I'm not convinced the voters will be happy with 4 million pounds being loaned to them, at a time when ACC is in major trouble and is facing/has faced huge cutbacks. It's often said that you can spend your way out of a recession - but will this be viewed as something that will bring in a real economic boost?

You need to look into the difference between capital and revenue funding.

Whilst I agree that the Denburn Health Centre looks horrible I actually kinda like it. I think it's important to preserve architecture from all eras (good and bad) and the Denburn is a perfect example of aspiring architecture of its time.

Yep, I agree - I think it's pretty disgraceful that we're now tearing down all sorts of 60's/70's building for the sake of modern developments, particularly when some of them are very important in a historical context.

Denburn is actually quite an interesting place if you go exploring round it - there's all sorts of weird passageways within the centre and on the roof, and there's the ever-shut garage door within the car park that still scares me senseless.

Not at all, I'm merely pointing out the disparity between the far reaching aims the site's name suggests and what it is actually there for. Seems odd to me.

a bit like "aberdeen music" not having all aberdeen musicians on it...and even some that are not from aberdeen?....

yeah, ,the wording of the title does need looking at......sheesh.

As for the architect who thinks the plans are awful...I wonder if she put in any ideas? and if she did...sounds like they were rejected....hmmm............I always like to hear of un-bias reviews and critiques.

I'm assuming the current Peacock Visual Arts will be closed down to be moved to the centre?

For this alone i'm excited about the project. Not many 'average joes' have even heard of Peacock so it'd be great to have it in a more visible and accessible location.

I wish there was more excitement for things like Peacock, Lemon Tree and the Belmont in Aberdeen. Admittedly i probably spend time around the wrong people. Is there a significant enthusiasm for these places?

As for the architect who thinks the plans are awful...I wonder if she put in any ideas? and if she did...sounds like they were rejected....hmmm............I always like to hear of un-bias reviews and critiques.

No such bias on her part, she was completely unaware of anything to do with it until I showed her. I think though, her viewpoint is clouded by the mix of old and new (she similarly dislikes HMT and the Maritime Museum) - so...maybe not entirely unbiased.

her viewpoint is clouded by the mix of old and new (she similarly dislikes HMT and the Maritime Museum) - so...maybe not entirely unbiased.

Everyone's viewpoint is 'clouded' by what they find appealing; that's what being an individual is. If she does indeed have a 'bias' against a certain style, a bit like me having for example, a 'bias' against music that uses maracas, you'd have to question her judgement anyway. This, and the obvious aside that you need not be a qualified architect to form an opinion on a building, is why the introduction of your woman's opinon as some kind of objective truth is deemed absurd.

isn't it weird that aberdeen-music isn't about EVERY SINGLE music-related thing in EVERY Aberdeen in the world?

Yes, but the point he's trying to make is, it's about more than one single issue to do with aberdeen music.

Stop being so pedantic, your posts in this thread have been needlessly aggressive for no apparent reason.

Yes, but the point he's trying to make is, it's about more than one single issue to do with aberdeen music.

Stop being so pedantic, your posts in this thread have been needlessly aggressive for no apparent reason.

I don't think that was his point, being that he was referring to Make Aberdeen Better. Support your Centre for the Contemporary Arts, and not aberdeen music. SORRY FOR BEING PEDANTIC LOL

Is the new Peacock project actually on the agenda for today??

I believe so. Are they not deciding the fate of a number of projects today? I'm based at Transition now so pretty much out of the loop. I would assume Peacock is an edgy place at the moment with all their damn hard and fine work succeeding or falling on a bloody council meeting.

I hope we are :up:

and not :swearing:

I believe so. Are they not deciding the fate of a number of projects today? I'm based at Transition now so pretty much out of the loop. I would assume Peacock is an edgy place at the moment with all their damn hard and fine work succeeding or falling on a bloody council meeting.

I hope the news is positive, surely it's about time for some good news coming from ACC?

I really hope it's not rejected by a bunch of people with no idea what they're actually dealing with :(

I'm still of the opinion that if the building HAD to go in Union Terrace Gardens, then the design isn't too bad, but I'd rather they had used the Triple Kirks, and cascaded across the Denburn into the gardens.

There are other ways to revamp the gardens (more live events, get the draughts on the go again, glaze the arches for small shops/cafe...even bootsales on a Sunday etc). A play area for kids would be good....buskers at the old train turtable area? Make sure there's a 'parkie' who gets the police to eject undesirables. (That's Jim Stax phucked!)

I hope the news is positive, surely it's about time for some good news coming from ACC?

I really hope it's not rejected by a bunch of people with no idea what they're actually dealing with :(

Yup. However, the idea in principal was accepted and got the green light and this is coming down to finances and the mess the council is in. So in some ways progress has been attained. Cold hard cash is now playing a hand when Aberdeen is about to take a step forward and up.

what is most striking about half the "arguments" in this thread, is that they all seem to be based on no facts what so ever.

The Models, Plans and Proposals are all on display (or available for scrutiny) at peacocks....so before you wade in with what you think are "helpful" contributions, have a read / look of the REAL SITUATION. (it looks like a tent, Itll destroy the green space ????)

We can all have frivolous opinions about things that dont really matter, but this is important to Aberdeen, so knowing the facts before mouthing off, can only help.

what is most striking about half the "arguments" in this thread, is that they all seem to be based on no facts what so ever.

The Models, Plans and Proposals are all on display (or available for scrutiny) at peacocks....so before you wade in with what you think are "helpful" contributions, have a read / look of the REAL SITUATION. (it looks like a tent, Itll destroy the green space ????)

We can all have frivolous opinions about things that dont really matter, but this is important to Aberdeen, so knowing the facts before mouthing off, can only help.

Of course Oh Lord, how dare we have an opinion on something without checking it's OK with you first. "Helpful" contributions? It's a fucking discussion on a message board, you bell-end. This is going to turn into the "Support Trump" thread all over again isn't it.

Of course Oh Lord, how dare we have an opinion on something without checking it's OK with you first. "Helpful" contributions? It's a fucking discussion on a message board, you bell-end. This is going to turn into the "Support Trump" thread all over again isn't it.

Steady, he was just saying it would be better for people to look at the plans in detail before giving an opinion.

Which, well, it would. Not going to happen, but it would be better.

Steady, he was just saying it would be better for people to look at the plans in detail before giving an opinion.

Which, well, it would. Not going to happen, but it would be better.

No he wasn't, he was saying everybody should look at the plans and then agree with his opinion.

No he wasn't, he was saying everybody should look at the plans and then agree with his opinion.

No he didn't. You're reading something into it that's not written in the post.

No he didn't. You're reading something into it that's not written in the post.

(it looks like a tent, Itll destroy the green space ????)

Yes he did. You're just missing the obvious undertones.

I can't bring myself to read your post because of your avatar!

:puke:

He's simply quoting what people said?

All i get from his post is he says people should check the facts before arguing about it. He then sticks in his opinion on the matter at the end.