aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
scott.wright

Union Terrace Gardens

Hello. I just received an e-mail from Peacock Visual Arts. The city council are reviewing the new Union Terrace Gardens centre on September 5th and Peacock would like support for the plans to go ahead.

If you've any interest in, or support for, the new centre, go to Make Aberdeen Better Support your Centre for the Contemporary Arts to show your support (register details of name, house number, postcode, email).

More information on the centre: New Building - Peacock Visual Arts :: 01224 639539 ::

Hmph, a site called "Make Aberdeen Better", and it's dedicated to only one thing, which would indeed have an effect but here are many other ways of making Aberdeen better, I'm sure. Humbug.

Hmm...are the winds blowing against this proposed build now that the extent of Aberdeen's cash problems are being revealed? Given that it was all but green lighted, it does seem strange that support is now being sought for the centre. It also seems pretty late in the day to start trying to drum up support - have the powers that be suggested that the proposed 4 million loan might be better invested elsewhere?

As an aside, I asked a qualified landscape architect her thoughts on the centre (who has no connnection with Aberdeen at all) and got a response of "The plans are awful, look at the contrast between the old buildings and the new"..and she slated the proposed landscaping too.

I'm still torn, personally.

hmph, a site called "make aberdeen better", and it's dedicated to only one thing, which would indeed have an effect but here are many other ways of making aberdeen better, i'm sure. Humbug.

is it meant to list every single fucking thing that'd make aberdeen better?

As an aside, I asked a qualified landscape architect her thoughts on the centre (who has no connnection with Aberdeen at all) and got a response of "The plans are awful, look at the contrast between the old buildings and the new"..and she slated the proposed landscaping too.

Whoa, so you mean to tell me that not every architect has the same opinion on buildings? Is that maybe why you get buildings that look different?

is it meant to list every single fucking thing that'd make aberdeen better?

Not at all, I'm merely pointing out the disparity between the far reaching aims the site's name suggests and what it is actually there for. Seems odd to me.

Hmm...are the winds blowing against this proposed build now that the extent of Aberdeen's cash problems are being revealed? Given that it was all but green lighted, it does seem strange that support is now being sought for the centre. It also seems pretty late in the day to start trying to drum up support - have the powers that be suggested that the proposed 4 million loan might be better invested elsewhere?

I'm still torn, personally.

why the fuck would you go around asking architects who have no connection with aberdeen their opinion on a contemporary arts centre being built here when you live in essex? more to the point why do you think anyone would give a fucking shit what you or this architect had to say about it?

fail.

Not at all, I'm merely pointing out the disparity between the far reaching aims the site's name suggests and what it is actually there for. Seems odd to me.

isn't it weird that aberdeen-music isn't about EVERY SINGLE music-related thing in EVERY Aberdeen in the world?

why the fuck would you go around asking architects who have no connection with aberdeen their opinion on a contemporary arts centre being built here when you live in essex? more to the point why do you think anyone would give a fucking shit what you or this architect had to say about it?

Jesus, did you have a bad day? It's an internet discussion forum, isn't it?

I was looking at the plans out of curiosity, not having seen detailed ones before and was torn between liking it and hating it. My girlfriend walked in, and asked about the place - so I thought I'd get her opinion on it out of curiosity, seeing as she has no interest/attachment in the place. And I thought I'd share that opinion, which is what this site is for, no?

As for why anyone would care - should we just shut this forum down, if opinions are not to be shared freely?

I notice your negative reputation as "stop stirring shit"...do you actually pay attention to local politics, or merely pretend to? To quote Salmond...

Mr Salmond said increasing sustainable growth was the "single, overarching purpose" of his minority administration.

He added: "That purpose is supported by our strategic objectives - building a Scotland that is safer, stronger, greener, healthier, smarter, wealthier and fairer."

It may very well be that the SNP might withdraw their support on the grounds that the centre (on the surface...) does nothing for the average citizen of the city. Conversely however, it does suit the SNP's centralisation agenda.

As an aside, I asked a qualified landscape architect her thoughts on the centre (who has no connnection with Aberdeen at all) and got a response of "The plans are awful, look at the contrast between the old buildings and the new"..

I guess if you had showed her the plans for the extension to His Majesty's she probably would have said the same thing, but that turned out quite smart.

Same with the Maritime Museum.

Both those buildings prove that new designs can sit alongside older buildings, if tastefully done.

Both those buildings prove that new designs can sit alongside older buildings, if tastefully done.

Yep, I agree completely. I love the Maritime Museum in particular, as the HMT extension still looks bolted on to me.

Jesus, did you have a bad day? It's an internet discussion forum, isn't it?

I was looking at the plans out of curiosity, not having seen detailed ones before and was torn between liking it and hating it. My girlfriend walked in, and asked about the place - so I thought I'd get her opinion on it out of curiosity, seeing as she has no interest/attachment in the place. And I thought I'd share that opinion, which is what this site is for, no?

As for why anyone would care - should we just shut this forum down, if opinions are not to be shared freely?

no i just get fed up with your constant stirring from afar. you are perfectly entitled to share your opinion but it doesn't mean anyone has to listen to it or care.

no i just get fed up with your constant stirring from afar. you are perfectly entitled to share your opinion but it doesn't mean anyone has to listen to it or care.

Then....don't reply and don't read my posts? There's an ignore function on this forum, isn't there?

Then....don't reply and don't read my posts? There's an ignore function on this forum, isn't there?

well how about you ignore my posts huh? :)

ach, i don't want to ignore your posts. you just need to lay off the conspiracies and pick your fights. the winds aren't blowing against the contemporary arts centre, they're just making sure their position is secure and keeping interest up. seems sensible to me.

no i just get fed up with your constant stirring from afar.

A bloke that stays in Essex commentating on an Aberdeen issue while he's in Poland.

Either this is proof of the "global village" or he needs to get a life.

Does Aberdeen really need a new shiny expensive contemporary arts centre?

Especially when it involves ripping up one of the oldest parts and ONLY green space in the city centre?

("A new modern exciting building" - The Denburn Health Centre was one of those once apon a time).

Do we need this when previous "art centres" have been allowed to go to the wall eg The Lemon Tree?

And others are totally underused - The Arts Centre?

Isn't the remit for the new centre already well catered for or dont have enough public demand?:

Flim Screenings - The completely underused Belmont Cinema.

Music Performances - sparsely programmed (new) Lemon Tree and various other places.

Dance/Citymoves - I have friends involved with citymoves and apparently the facilities are fine.

Print Making- Peacock already well cater for this dont they?

TV Studios - really?? Do we need them? Aberdeen College had good ones.

I'm a big fan of the arts but this project just seems, to me, ill conceived and will possibly totally fuk up the only green space in our city centre.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, as I know some people are passionate about this place, I have made this post as a point of DISCUSSION (notice all the question marks).

If you think I'm wrong them please make your point. I'm open to opinion.

Don't start name calling and getting angry.

I'll happily be convinced if the evidence/demand/need for this centre is there.

it doesn't rip up a green space in the city centre. it makes use of a big waste of space part of union terrace gardens leaving the majority of the green space intact as far as i'm aware.

i think it will add a lot to aberdeen if only because it can raise public awareness of contemporary arts in the city and make it more accessible as it's all in one handy place.

i don't think the centre will replace completely the facilities which are already in place but in fact will complement and build upon these facilities. i'd certainly rather this was built rather than another shopping centre.

You know, Denburn Medical Centre was exactly what I thought when I looked at it! Fast forward 20 years and picture it weather stained and covered in graffiti. AND MINKS.

I like how it leaves most of the central green area intact, though. Before looking at the proposed design, my assumption was that it would just be a big tent.

Guest treader.

fail.

damnit. i really want to give you positive rep for this but it wont let me.

but this is a good post.

Denburn Medical Centre is an eyesore now, it's one of those builings that probably looked great when it was designed in the 60s or 70s but now looks fucking horrible. Most buildings from that era are pretty bad, little grey boxes mostly. I quite the HMT extension, admittedly it doesn't really go well with the original buildings, but as a building in it's own right it's pretty striking.

it doesn't rip up a green space in the city centre. it makes use of a big waste of space part of union terrace gardens leaving the majority of the green space intact as far as i'm aware.

i think it will add a lot to aberdeen if only because it can raise public awareness of contemporary arts in the city and make it more accessible as it's all in one handy place.

i don't think the centre will replace completely the facilities which are already in place but in fact will complement and build upon these facilities. i'd certainly rather this was built rather than another shopping centre.

I hope it does leave the most of the green space intact. It's an under used asset to the city centre. I remember when they put gigs on etc in the summer and it was great. They should bring them back.

More accessible does make sence. I just don't trust the council. They have made so many bad decisions over the years...I just hope this isnt one of them.

And why they gave the go ahead to that horrible shopping centre when we cant fill the ones we already have is just bizzare.

I'll happily be convinced if the evidence/demand/need for this centre is there.

I think it's important to look at why this building is being proposed - it's clearly to allow Peacock to grow as an organisation. They're the ones sponsoring the building, they're an organisation on the rise and it will undoubtably provide them with world class headquarters. It should also open up Union Terrace Gardens in a significant way and perhaps revitalise them.

But I'm not convinced the voters will be happy with 4 million pounds being loaned to them, at a time when ACC is in major trouble and is facing/has faced huge cutbacks. It's often said that you can spend your way out of a recession - but will this be viewed as something that will bring in a real economic boost?

The one question I have - who will ultimately own the building? I would have great problems if the building was in private hands, particularly with so much cash being given from the public purse.

I guess the ultimate question is - is this a vanity project, or a greatly needed project?