aberdeen-music

Job Market in Aberdeen?

Hog

Not for myself. :up:

My wife. She has an Honours degree in Nursing and 10 years experience working at Dubai Airport as an admin assistant (with excellent references)

However, she can't even get a job as an office junior here. :down:

She's tried loads of Receptionist, office, HR jobs but no luck.

Guest idol_wild

My wife. She has an Honours degree in Nursing and 10 years experience working at Dubai Airport as an admin assistant (with excellent references)

I reckon some of the more office-based job agencies would be delighted to have her on board and could probably find her some suitable assignments. My experience of agencies in Aberdeen was very positive.

Carlton

Bryant

Aberdeen Appointments Agency

Office Angels

I used all of these and they never struggled to find me work - and at the time, I didn't even have much experience, aside from loads of retail and delivering mail.

Good luck.

Joy tried AAA and never heard from them again after the interview. Office Angels basically send out automated emails telling her that unfortunately she hasn't been successful as there have been applicants who are more qualified...mmm....

I know for a fact that my wife is judged because she's from the Philippines (of course only on some occasions). No, I'm not going to use the racist card. However, I do wonder sometimes.

At the council, when we're after temps, the agencies send through dogshit cv's from absolute no hopers, who have only ever worked at asda or been on the dole since they left school. I can only imagine this means people with admin skills are avoiding agencies these days. Get her registered. Don't just let them come back to you though. You really have to pester them, or they'll forget about you. Manpower currently deal with all the city council posts so they are a good bet right now as it covers a huge range of jobs city wide.

About 10 years ago I was unemployed and I signed up with Bryant and they got me a decent job within days.

Only note of caution I would sound is that a couple of years later investigators from HM Revenue & Customs turned up at my door and I was summoned to appear at court in Manchester to swear under oath that I had not fathered a child named Wangari Malika ****** (insert very common Scottish surname here) in Moss-side. They didn't say for certain but dropped hints that my NI details had been leaked by a certain employment agency and that someone was using them to falsely claim child benefit.

Has she tried applying for some of the NHS administration jobs? I know there's quite a few being advertised at the moment. Mainly ward receptionist jobs, it's a start at least. Also, my work is about to start looking for a receptionist. The wages won't be great but it's something. You can e-mail me her CV and I'll pass it on.

Good, you'll be shot down. :D

She should register as a bank nurse at, they're often complaining of being short-staffed in there, especially in the Blair Unit. At best it'd only be the odd shift to start with, but it's a foot in the doooor...

:up:

Trust me, some of things people have said are not very nice....

Anyway, thanks for the tips folks. One thing, Joy doesn't want to go back to Nursing.

Thanks Kitty, I shall pop you a PM.

Could also try Lints Recruitment. They are quite new but the chap who owns it is very committed and offers a good personal service.

Lints Recruitment | Aberdeen Recruitment Agency

Yeah Mark is really good. He use to work at AAA but packed up his contacts, left and set up business for himself.

I wouldn't waste my time with AAA. (Personal history with these jokers, long boring story).

http://www.rightpeople.uk.net/site/home.asp

These guys are ex-directors of AAA who did the same as Lints.

Has she tried the NHS Grampian website? It sounds pretty obvious, but I couldn't imagine many GP practices turning down folk with decent experience and there's always a tonne of listings.

Thanks Elizabeth but Joy doesn't want a job in the medical profession.

She has 10 years experience working out the rotas/holidays for over 1000 duty free staff, an honours degree and completed half a law degree (she only quit because she was offered the Dubai duty free job) yet has been told time and time again that she doesn't have the experience to be a a receptionist.

She also has excellent English/grammar skills.

Yeah Mark is really good. He use to work at AAA but packed up his contacts, left and set up business for himself.

I wouldn't waste my time with AAA. (Personal history with these jokers, long boring story).

http://www.rightpeople.uk.net/site/home.asp

These guys are ex-directors of AAA who did the same as Lints.

hmm, their website is slow and avast tells me it's blocking malware from it everytime i click on a job. anyone else got this issue?

Where did she get her degree? Not that it matters I suppose if the competition is as described by others in the thread. If someone with a degree, extensive experience in HR, fluent English but who happens to be from South East Asia loses out to another other whose CV consists of Asda at most (again going by other replies in this thread), I would be a lot quicker to "draw conclusions" or "play that card".

What else could it be? Maybe she's overqualified? Here I'm mainly thinking of the temp agencies and the receptionist jobs you mentioned. If she was overqualified, can it be given as it a reason for turning her down? I have no idea about conventions in the UK but in at least some places they might fob a more experienced candidate off in such a way when they really mean "actually we'd really prefer less bright people with lower expectations and who might be more pliable". Maybe, if we're talking about HR and especially receptionist jobs, they're simply wary of anyone with any kind of accent. Or perhaps they're simply too scared to phone a referee in a foreign country to verify her CV.

Guest idol_wild

In my experience, it is always advantageous to actually go into the the agency and speak to one of the recruitment consultants directly so that they can get a better idea of the person themselves. I may have had little experience in office-based work when I first started, but the consultant could see that I was very keen and enthusiastic, relatively articulate, sufficiently intelligent, and clearly not a total moron.

Where did she get her degree? Not that it matters I suppose if the competition is as described by others in the thread. If someone with a degree, extensive experience in HR, fluent English but who happens to be from South East Asia loses out to another other whose CV consists of Asda at most (again going by other replies in this thread), I would be a lot quicker to "draw conclusions" or "play that card".

What else could it be? Maybe she's overqualified? Here I'm mainly thinking of the temp agencies and the receptionist jobs you mentioned. If she was overqualified, can it be given as it a reason for turning her down? I have no idea about conventions in the UK but in at least some places they might fob a more experienced candidate off in such a way when they really mean "actually we'd really prefer less bright people with lower expectations and who might be more pliable". Maybe, if we're talking about HR and especially receptionist jobs, they're simply wary of anyone with any kind of accent. Or perhaps they're simply too scared to phone a referee in a foreign country to verify her CV.

Interesting points Scottyboy.

Joy's last employer (who ended up befriending Joy) admitted that she had the best cv but was nervous employing someone from the Philippines. The employer ended up conceding that Joy was punctual, polite and hard working i.e we shouldn't judge.

Agencies in my experience are a nightmare... but that's maybe because I have so little experience to my name in offices they are struggling to find a place for me. Thorpe Molloy were very encouraging as were PI Recruitment. Other than that the job market is pish unless you're an engineer, quantity surveyor or accountant (I'm probably going to get shot for saying that but it seems to be where the jobs are atm... defo not in law that's for sure).

Other than that the job market is pish unless you're an engineer, quantity surveyor or accountant (I'm probably going to get shot for saying that but it seems to be where the jobs are atm... defo not in law that's for sure).

IT is always a booming job market. Competitive, but it's a good thing employers will hire the more competent applicant. I've been to uni with a right bunch of goons, some of which couldn't even program in their graduation year. I'm glad they'll struggle to find a job.

IT is always a booming job market. Competitive, but it's a good thing employers will hire the more competent applicant. I've been to uni with a right bunch of goons, some of which couldn't even program in their graduation year. I'm glad they'll struggle to find a job.

That's not true at all. I've bumped into loads of incompetent people working in IT over the years. Plenty of them have uni degrees and I know some of the worst students I was at college and uni with are still working in the industry.

Employers hire the person who interviews best, not necessarily the more competent applicant.