aberdeen-music

Drinks prices

Don't know whether it's because I'm no longer a student, getting old (finger off the pulse), or just haven't thought about it for a while but does anyone else think that the cost of a night out is getting ridiculous? Used to get guttered for 30 and now it's about double that for a big night out.

What's been the cheapest / most expensive drinks you've had out lately?

In the Albyn/Dizzys last Friday I was ~7.50 for a shandy and vodka/coke. Would have choked on my change if I'd got enough back!.

Worst price:

Not mentioning airports or anything like that.

Siberia - 2.90 for a pint of fosters. Pretty rough.

Best price:

Moorings - (Band Discount) 1.40 or close to that for addlestones.

Archie Simpsons - Always good prices when I fancy some ale.

Jp's? - Went for a friends birthday a while back and I'm sure it was only 60p for a half decent vodka and coke.

I'm quite interested in this as, aside from being a publican, I attend the Local Licensing Forum which is a think tank that reports to the Licensing Board, and this topic frequently comes up.

What are places charging at weekends, before discount, for common drinks like:

draught lager

premium lager

draught cider

bottled beer

smirnoff ice

jack & coke

vodka & coke

jaegerbomb

etc

?

I'm very out of touch since I've barely been out of The Moorings in the past 8 years, and am basically operating in my own little bubble.

Slains is pretty good for Fosters (1.85 if I remember right).

Tunnels is 3 for a can of Red Stripe, Drummonds being 2.90. Stick to them because the drafts always taste ghastly in either from my experiences.

Korova - seems to change depending on who is serving me so I don't have concrete prices for anything really! :laughing:

Otherwise I don't really know to be honest as I tend to just stick to The Moorings. :)

Aberdeen is ridiculous for drink prices. 3 pound for a pint of tennants in drummonds now.

You definitely get more drink for your money in Edinburgh or Glasgow. I have no scientific proof to back this up except the amount of change I come home with after nights out in the respective cities.

69p vodka and mix in tonik monday to thursday

69p vodka and dash in jp's 7 days a week as far as i'm aware.

both use glens, but for 69p who is really complaining?

I've pretty much stopped the binge drinking, a couple of martini's in Korova after work does the trick for me (3.20 midweek, 4 weekend with any gin/vodka of your choice)

Gin and tonic is great. Men should happily drink it. It does the biz. Men who comment on how gay it is to drink are trying too hard for man points and will probably exit the closet sometime in the future.

I went through a big G&T phase some years back and used to end up drinking it in Amadeus once Monday night pool was over. No idea what it was they were serving up but next day was strange, no hangover as such but skin crawling like anything.

• Upvote 1

I never really notice drinks prices because I'm usually buying a round so I'm expecting a hefty bill anyway, the only place I remember being incensed at the prices recently was Soul, where I paid over 20 for five nips and mixers. I had to queue for fucking ages to get to the bar, and when I finally got my drinks the stupid bitch had given me gin and soda water instead of tonic. I couldn't be fucked queueing for another 15 minutes to get another one so I just left it and went up to Bells Bar instead.

I never drink pints, usually bottles of Miller, Tiger etc and I would guess they're about 2.50 - 3, which I think is fair enough. You do notice the difference if you're in a wee town though, rounds are much cheaper in in places like Fraserburgh or Peterhead. The only downside being that you have to spend time in Fraserburgh or Peterhead.

Gin and tonic is great. Men should happily drink it. It does the biz. Men who comment on how gay it is to drink are trying too hard for man points and will probably exit the closet sometime in the future.

I went through a big G&T phase some years back and used to end up drinking it in Amadeus once Monday night pool was over. No idea what it was they were serving up but next day was strange, no hangover as such but skin crawling like anything.

G&T is the drink of a gentleman. My favourite "night in" beveridge is a pint of gin and tonic (4 shots of Gin, preferably Gordon's topped with ice and obviously tonic water. 2 slices of lime or lemon should do the drinks but it is imperative to line the top of the glass with said citrus fruit).

I could have out drunk Sylvia Plath on Gin, if she hadn't baked her head.

I find most places expensive these days. The trick is to always start at Archie's as its awesome and cheap. You do have to go all the way to Northfield to use the toilet though, which can be annoying when you have a granny bladder like me.

I don't like the taste of it.

Without wishing to pander to Flash, the Moorings is one of the few bars that serves proper, as it should be, beer / lager and therefore could charge the most premium price and be justified. The fact that the booze is very reasonably priced just makes it that bit better :) The draught lager is somewhat exemplary. The only place in town I can think of in the same league is the Grill. Tonik is usually very good too.

I would only complain about the price of a pint if it tasted shit, and was genuinely overpriced. For an acceptable pint, anything around the 2.75 pound price mark is fine. For a great pint a la the Moorings, I wouldn't complain at 3.50, as I'm more inclined to enjoy it and nae scoof it down.

Gotta be realistic these days - I spent too long moaning about the price of drink being too expensive "nowadays" but you have to realise that prices have gone up a fair bit since those of us of a certain age started bevvying 12, 15 years ago! You also have to realise that you would have paid money for the worst beer ever if it got you pished. Christ, my group all drank bottled Woodpecker for years at the Palace!!!! Worst drink ever, but it was cheap and did the job! Now when I get a good pint I appreciate it.

Come on, you can say it. You had a gin & tonic. You little girly man.

Had a Peroni I think in Old Schoolhouse, then Heineken in Slains, then I did indeed have a G+T in Korova. Pint of cider in Bassment before heading back onto gin when I realised it was only 1.50. Then a Jaegerbomb.

Can't remember what I had after that. Oh, Kronenbourg in Bugsy Browns.

Without wishing to pander to Flash, the Moorings is one of the few bars that serves proper, as it should be, beer / lager and therefore could charge the most premium price and be justified. The fact that the booze is very reasonably priced just makes it that bit better :) The draught lager is somewhat exemplary. The only place in town I can think of in the same league is the Grill. Tonik is usually very good too.

I would only complain about the price of a pint if it tasted shit, and was genuinely overpriced. For an acceptable pint, anything around the 2.75 pound price mark is fine. For a great pint a la the Moorings, I wouldn't complain at 3.50, as I'm more inclined to enjoy it and nae scoof it down.

Gotta be realistic these days - I spent too long moaning about the price of drink being too expensive "nowadays" but you have to realise that prices have gone up a fair bit since those of us of a certain age started bevvying 12, 15 years ago! You also have to realise that you would have paid money for the worst beer ever if it got you pished. Christ, my group all drank bottled Woodpecker for years at the Palace!!!! Worst drink ever, but it was cheap and did the job! Now when I get a good pint I appreciate it.

This is precisely why I drink bottled beer instead of pints. You can go into one pub, order a pint and get a lovely tasty pint. You go into the pub next door, order the same pint and it's totally different, flat, or warm, or tastes funny etc. Pints taste different everywhere you go and I don't like having to grimace through a shit pint, so I stick to bottles cos they are the same everywhere.

I started this philosophy when I moved to Ferryhill and drank in the Hayloft, because their pints are just awful. :puke: The Belhaven Best in The Office tastes like plastic as well.

Best pints - The Abergeldie. They do a good pint.

This is precisely why I drink bottled beer instead of pints. You can go into one pub, order a pint and get a lovely tasty pint. You go into the pub next door, order the same pint and it's totally different, flat, or warm, or tastes funny etc. Pints taste different everywhere you go and I don't like having to grimace through a shit pint, so I stick to bottles cos they are the same everywhere.

I started this philosophy when I moved to Ferryhill and drank in the Hayloft, because their pints are just awful. The Belhaven Best in The Office tastes like plastic as well.

Best pints - The Abergeldie. They do a good pint.

That's exactly why I don't drink bottles - I can drink a bottle at home anytime, but can only enjoy a good pint in the pub! It's worth seeking out a good pint and sticking with it. I ken what you are saying about bottles, but, sticking on the price point discussion, I really do feel utterly raped paying 3 + quid for something I could have got in the supermarket for 40p and made colder at home than it was served in the pub (bottles are affy things to be served not cold enough for my liking) You don't get pints in the supermarket so I like (good ones) when I'm out :)

You are right, though, pints in the Hayloft can be reprehensibly bad!!! Great pub, though!!!