aberdeen-music

Amp Repair

peter

Guest droid
As good as Dennis Marshall may be, it seems a bit daft having to travel over 200 miles round trip to get an amp fixed. Is there really no closer option?

Bruce Millers!:up:

Cost wise, it will depend on what is wrong with the amp. Dennis did a lot of careful tweaking to my old man's 70s Twin and it cost about 250 quid, but was happy to do the bare essentials to my less impressive and totally shagged 80s Twin for under 100 (Rebuilt the bias circuit and gave it a retube).

No cash up front for a bench charge either, which is cool. It's a bit of a hike, but it was worth it for a wee shot of his Boogie Mark II.

im sure les at bruce millers is competent but in short i wouldnt give any of my gear to R&B or Brucies, when i first started out i gave an axe to R&B to set up

1. they did a shit job

2. they didnt do it when they said they would, when i went to collect it after 10 days it hadnt been touched, the bell end that worked there said to come back in an hour and he did it but but fuck em there crap

brucies didnt do much better so i asked people in the know and read up on things and taught myself to do most jobs that these shops rip you off for doing

(enough ranting) speak to dennis and brucies and see if you can determine a possible cause over the phone before commiting to either and talk costs, yeah Dennis is a long way off but heaps of people recomend him for a simple reason,

we spend alot of money on our gear and want it looked after and fixed timely and professionally when we give it to these people and thats exactly what he does

I think the fact that Dennis lets you come into his workshop and watch him work speaks volumes for the confidence he has in his ability. It also give you a good idea of what you are gettiung charged for. The local shops will charge you the same for a lesser job, and you'll probably end up having to go to him anyway.

Guest droid
im sure les at bruce millers is competent but in short i wouldnt give any of my gear to R&B or Brucies, when i first started out i gave an axe to R&B to set up

1. they did a shit job

2. they didnt do it when they said they would, when i went to collect it after 10 days it hadnt been touched, the bell end that worked there said to come back in an hour and he did it but but fuck em there crap

brucies didnt do much better so i asked people in the know and read up on things and taught myself to do most jobs that these shops rip you off for doing

(enough ranting) speak to dennis and brucies and see if you can determine a possible cause over the phone before commiting to either and talk costs, yeah Dennis is a long way off but heaps of people recomend him for a simple reason,

we spend alot of money on our gear and want it looked after and fixed timely and professionally when we give it to these people and thats exactly what he does

I have an expensive rig and guitars,Les has done a sterling job on the electrics of everything i have given him.I am very particular on who i let touch my equipment as i play professionally.But yeah,find who's good for you!:up:

Guest droid
I'm out of here, no point arguing with professional musicians with expensive rigs like you mate. Obviously you are going to know your shit.

Don't know what your problem is,yes i do know my "shit"!:up:

I feel pretty competent in knowing my shit. I happen to have an expensive "rig" too as it transpires. Guess I'm a professional. Bonus. :princess:

when i first started out i gave an axe to R&B to set up

1. they did a shit job

Also, just out of curiousity, when did this happen? :)

I feel pretty competent in knowing my shit. I happen to have an expensive "rig" too as it transpires. Guess I'm a professional. Bonus. :princess:

Also, just out of curiousity, when did this happen? :)

about 3 years ago maybe...... why are you gonna convince me that things have changed ?

My gear's awfa dear, that's why I keep getting an antler up my ass.....sorry that was rubbish!

I reckon it could be said that my rig is a bit up market, and I spend quite a hefty bit of cash on tweaking it to get the best sound out of it. However, until R&B or BM start selling big bags of talent, then I'm afriad that I'm fooked!!:popcorn: