aberdeen-music

DS-1 noise?

yeah, me again with another pedal query.

to the point,

i've started using my DS-1 a lot more these past few days and i've noticed that it generates a tremendous amount of disgusting noise, and i have the gain and tone at 12 oclock!

does anyone else have the same problem with the DS-1? or a solution?

i have already got it in the loop section of my NS-2, which works great when im not playing, but as soon as i start playing the noise can be heard just as much as the music! its horrible, and i want it gone!

i am also using a OD-2 with the gain at full and tone at about 3 oclock and this is nowhere near as noisey, and this is about 20 years older than the DS-1, and my big muff is less noisey too, with sustain and tone both at 3 oclock. rather confusing.

yeah, me again with another pedal query.

to the point,

i've started using my DS-1 a lot more these past few days and i've noticed that it generates a tremendous amount of disgusting noise, and i have the gain and tone at 12 oclock!

does anyone else have the same problem with the DS-1? or a solution?

i have already got it in the loop section of my NS-2, which works great when im not playing, but as soon as i start playing the noise can be heard just as much as the music! its horrible, and i want it gone!

i am also using a OD-2 with the gain at full and tone at about 3 oclock and this is nowhere near as noisey, and this is about 20 years older than the DS-1, and my big muff is less noisey too, with sustain and tone both at 3 oclock. rather confusing.

Open the DS1 up and replace C12 with a .1uf Metal Film Capacitor and C14 with a 1uf Metal Film Cap, C3 to a .047uf metal film cap, try to use Panasonic metal film caps, these should make the noise issue a bit more bearable. They should be the exact same value caps but you are using better quality with panasonic metal film and reduces a lot of noise. There are a lot more things you can do to the pedal to completely obliterate any noise but its a lengthy process

Also make sure the noise is coming from the pedal, may be a power supply if you are using one. Check it out by using batteries for your pedals first

I used to get them from a company called Digikey, they can be found on the net. They are really good quality caps. I think Metal film are better but you can use Tantalum as well, just have to get the polarity correct if you use them.

The Keeley mods are good but there are so many better options than Keeley. He never did a fraction of what can be done to those pedals. They can be completely transformed. Look on a site called diystompboxes.com

You will find tons of info on there for boss pedal mods. I submitted a lot of my mods on there as well for the DS-1

one really good one for the DS-1 is the melonhead mod. It can be found on that website.

If you can, there is a opamp chip on the DS-1 that can be taken out and changed but you need an adaptor, these can be made if you know how to do your own circuit board etching or you can buy them from a guy called monteallums mods but they are overpriced I think and are imported here. If you replace that Opamp with a better quality one you will def get rid of any noise issues and have a smoother sound and more sustain with the pedal.

• Upvote 1