aberdeen-music

Great on record, shit live.

ca_gere

Red Hot Chili Peppers, the one time I've seen them were absolute bobbins (Californication tour, 1998 or 99). Anthony Keidis' was miles off key in every song, and that Frusciante cunt just noodled his way through the songs and made stupid feedback noises where all the solos were supposed to go. I was so looking forward to seeing them and they were a real disappoinment. Remarkably little stage presence as well.

The Fratellis. OK they were a bit of a flash in the pan, but that first album they had was one of my absolute favourite albums for a while, I listened to it pretty much every day. Went to see them at AECC and they were dire. They didn't have enough material to fill the set, so they played every song on their album, and load of B-sides that nobody knew, a bunch of dodgy covers, and they left three or four minute gaps between songs without any interacting with the audience or anything to fill the gaps. Just silence. The singer hardly said a word the whole gig. A textbook case of a band being pushed onto an arena tour waaaay before they were ready. The gig was so bad I've never listened to the album again.

The same happened with My Chemical Romance - although they were actually quite good live, seeing them in a live environment brought home to me what a bunch of cock-sucking sell-outs they actually are. I was under the impression that they were a pretty decent band that had just been unwittingly adopted by all the emo kids and thus shunned by "proper" music fans, then I saw first-hand all their pretend teenage angst and weepy shit from a bunch of guys in their 30s who should really know better. It was a little embarrasing really. Can't listen to them any more.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, the one time I've seen them were absolute bobbins (Californication tour, 1998 or 99). Anthony Keidis' was miles off key in every song, and that Frusciante cunt just noodled his way through the songs and made stupid feedback noises where all the solos were supposed to go. I was so looking forward to seeing them and they were a real disappoinment. Remarkably little stage presence as well.

that bugger needs to stop mumbling words. on their later stuff he rarely stoppped humming and singing.

being honest, barring the odd decent song; I bloody hate this band. I'd happily stone them to death....

• Upvote 1

that bugger needs to stop mumbling words. on their later stuff he rarely stoppped humming and singing.

being honest, barring the odd decent song; I bloody hate this band. I'd happily stone them to death....

I was a hyooooooooooooooge fan in my teens, I absolutely worshipped the fuckers - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic and One Hot Minute are all superb albums IMO. Then they took four years off, got back on smack, sacked Dave Navarro, got off smack again, and came back shit.

EDIT - Actually Californication isn't that bad, though the production is horrible, it's all spikey and distorted. What is it they call it, "clipping" or something? They fucked it up anyway, it's so distorted it's almost unlistenable. By The Way and Stadium Arcadium can get tae.

EDIT EDIT - I miss when the Chilis were doing ace funk rock with lyrics all about drugs and fucking, instead of just bland pop songs. :(

I was a hyooooooooooooooge fan in my teens, I absolutely worshipped the fuckers - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magic and One Hot Minute are all superb albums IMO. Then they took four years off, got back on smack, sacked Dave Navarro, got off smack again, and came back shit.

EDIT - Actually Californication isn't that bad, though the production is horrible, it's all spikey and distorted. What is it they call it, "clipping" or something? They fucked it up anyway, it's so distorted it's almost unlistenable. By The Way and Stadium Arcadium can get tae.

EDIT EDIT - I miss when the Chilis were doing ace funk rock with lyrics all about drugs and fucking, instead of just bland pop songs. :(

I saw them on the Mother's Milk tour at the QuiM in Glasgow. There were awful damn good that night.

i was at one of the very first jesu gigs (king tuts, officer and shazbot were there too) and even though it was laden with technical probs it was mighty. Seen em support Isis (yawn) and 35 mins was perfect for them. Technically yes, they were shit live, but I liked them so much at that point that I still totally enjoyed the live experience. Never really followed much around conqueror and beeyond...

They never did better Heartache in my opinion, although Silver was a great release....

concur i do, that was a good set despite the technical problems(did his laptop crash or am i imagining that?). supporting pelican right? pelican were fucking ace that night. though they were pretty much my favourite band at the time so i'd have loved it if they just came out and farted into a microphone.

the isis gig was fun too. must fish out my jesu cd's for a listen some time.

Not that I'm a fan in the slightest but, having seen them in passing on TV, Dragonforce seem terrible live compared to their recorded material.

They were exceptionally dull live. Granted, I partly only went to see Herman Li playing guitar, but they looked like they couldn't be arsed. The keyboard player was undoubtedly very talented, but wouldn't have looked out of place on stage with Jedward!

By The Way is their best album, that's not saying much but it's the only one I find consistently decent.

The Chilli Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magik album is still pretty good. Before that they had some intermittently good moments, odd songs here and there. I suppsoe that was teh case after as well. Californication and By the Way are OK as albums as well. However I went to see them about 6 years ago in Edinburgh and Kiedis was such a cunt on stage that I cannot bring myself to take the time to listen to them these days.

I was rather disappointed by Metallica when I went to see them last year, expected much better things.

They were exceptionally dull live. Granted, I partly only went to see Herman Li playing guitar, but they looked like they couldn't be arsed. The keyboard player was undoubtedly very talented, but wouldn't have looked out of place on stage with Jedward!

The last time I saw Dragonforce live (going back a few years now, Glasgow academy IIRC) it was like being in a much bugger 'Drummonds wall of sound', you could hardly make a bloody thing out. Horrible....

The Blood Brothers were really, really disappointing when they played Aberdeen, pretty sure they were exhausted and had stuff stolen though, but that's no excuse because I'm greedy and they're not people they're a PRODUCT.

In all serious, no energy, at all. [emo]It was heartbreaking.[/emo]

The Blood Brothers were really, really disappointing when they played Aberdeen, pretty sure they were exhausted and had stuff stolen though, but that's no excuse because I'm greedy and they're not people they're a PRODUCT.

In all serious, no energy, at all. [emo]It was heartbreaking.[/emo]

I'm fairly sure that two of them had food poisoning/were ridiculously ill with something - the guitar player had a bucket infront of his amp the whole time. Some of the guitars hadn't made it over in one piece from America either. Just a bad way to start a two month tour.

I thought they were great.

I'm fairly sure that two of them had food poisoning/were ridiculously ill with something - the guitar player had a bucket infront of his amp the whole time. Some of the guitars hadn't made it over in one piece from America either. Just a bad way to start a two month tour.

I thought they were great.

Jesus, pretty amazing that they still went ahead with the show! I've been totally unfair. Sorry The Blood Brothers.

Jesus, pretty amazing that they still went ahead with the show! I've been totally unfair. Sorry The Blood Brothers.

I love it when bands play on through illness. When I saw The Living End years ago, the drummer stopped mid song to hurl into a bucket at the side of the stage. The band were in the midst of apologising, and possibly calling the rest of the show off, just as he ran back on stage, and they kept on playing. Superb.

Liars - Absolutely adore this band on record. There were a shitty shambles when I saw them.

Battles - Asked for the house lights to be brought up and spent the whole set facing each other with their backs to the audience. No atmosphere at all and pretty sure you had to be off your face on drugs to appreciate the 'hilarity' of it.

:(

Two bands I really like and would want to see live.

Was extremely dissapointed both times i saw the black crowes live.

Ive seen RHCP live 3 times and they were ropey in glasgow secc and at murrayfield. The final straw was fruiscante, mid gig, phoning a cancer riddled johnny ramone and trying to channel the positive energy from the crowd to cure him. The sad thing is that fruiscante had been off the smack for about 6 years when he did this.

• 9 months later...
Metallica were pretty shite when I saw them.

Brand New were pretty awful a year or two ago when I caught them too./QUOTE]

They're shit on record too though.

Thing is they're not really. I mean, actually, they are very very good on record. Enjoyed them live too.