aberdeen-music

Great on record, shit live.

ca_gere

I'm surprised to see the Arctic Monkeys mentioned a couple of times.

I saw them at Reading Fest the summer just before they released their first album, they were great.

(btw I can't claim any cool points for knowing them early, I had absolutely no idea who they were then)

I love Arctic Monkeys but hated them live at AECC but I'll put that down to being stood amongst a crowd of absolute morons. They weren't much special to watch really either although I've got the Live in Texas LP and that is good so I'll forgive them.

I saw Fran Healy busking once and was actually amazed at how good his voice was even though I find everything Travis did after their first album very boring.

The King Blues never managed to capture their raw energy on the first album that I've seen so many times live. I think they actually went and re-recorded it though when they moved to Island so they must have realised that too.

I'm not entirely sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist. Someone said that Ian Brown was great on record but shit live. I said he was shit at both.

If I've broken the internet, I'm terribly sorry. I should probably have used an acronym.

Less than jake are an awesome force in a sweaty, bouncing live context. I wouldn't say all their albums are shit but most are. Certainly a much better live show than their albums would suggest. Music hall 2003ish was one of my favourite ever gigs eventhough i was looooong past the stage of my life when ska punk was the answer to all of life's questions.

Arctic Monkeys.

Absolutely loved their first two albums, but they were disappointing live.

Dull, motionless performance. It sounded a lot like the CD, but visually they just didn't seem to have much energy about them. And fucking hell when Alex Turner talks, I have to punch myself in the face to stay awake.

That said if they came to Aberdeen again, I'd probably go just to see if they've livened up any...

Pretty much the reason i was put off them. Alex turner couldnt be arsed playing and showed it.

Honestly dont think i've listened to them since

I love Arctic Monkeys but hated them live at AECC but I'll put that down to being stood amongst a crowd of absolute morons.

I put it down to the fact that they seemed like they couldn't be arsed.

It didn't help that I had just got home from 3 weeks of 12 hour nightshifts offshore.

Or that The Horrors supported when they were really pish.

Jesu are a bit arse live. The production on the records, especially the latest one, Opiate Sun, is perfect. The guitars are just a blanket of sound that he just can't recreate live. Also, Jesu are one of those bands you should listen to with headphones on, whilst laying down when it's raining outside. It's no fun to stand and watch for an hour.

Jesu are a bit arse live. The production on the records, especially the latest one, Opiate Sun, is perfect. The guitars are just a blanket of sound that he just can't recreate live. Also, Jesu are one of those bands you should listen to with headphones on, whilst laying down when it's raining outside. It's no fun to stand and watch for an hour.

Way to shatter my expectations. It is a studio band afterall. Lots of condensed layers of bliss. Silver is probably my favorite.

I always thought Capdown were rubbish live (or maybe it was just all their later material that was rubbish) lucky for them they always had good tour supports to get me back

Don't agree - I managed to see Capdown live 6 times and they were always great.

Wind Up Toys was a rubbish album though.

Needless to say, I've never seen him live, but Jeff Buckley's live recordings are pretty rubbish for the most part. Its mostly to do with how far he distracts from the original melodies. It just gets a bit annoying when I listen to his live recordings.

I think the Mystery White Boy recording is pretty great.

I think the Mystery White Boy recording is pretty great.

I agree. I think most of his live recordings/performances were in fact better than the studio stuff, be your husband, i know its over, grace, etc. Really shows off his four octave voice. Brilliant improvisation.

Way to shatter my expectations. It is a studio band afterall. Lots of condensed layers of bliss. Silver is probably my favorite.

If you can sneak in an inflatable bed to lay on, or even a deck chair, you might me onto a winner. They certainly sound incredible, but after about 10 minutes, you really do become aware that standing up is a pain, and the set is nowhere near finished.

i was at one of the very first jesu gigs (king tuts, officer and shazbot were there too) and even though it was laden with technical probs it was mighty. Seen em support Isis (yawn) and 35 mins was perfect for them. Technically yes, they were shit live, but I liked them so much at that point that I still totally enjoyed the live experience. Never really followed much around conqueror and beeyond...

They never did better Heartache in my opinion, although Silver was a great release....

Paradise Lost. I love their albums (apart from the shit Depeche mode style era)

Donington 96... Boring

However, I enjoyed them at the Lemon Tree (circa believe in nothing era)

Best band live (sound quality) Type O Negative. Crystal clear.