aberdeen-music

electro-accoustic question?

TelecasterSam

Hi Guys.....

Can someone give me some advice....

I have a Liberty by Tanglewood electro accoustic....nice guitar actually....but I don't play it as often as my Tele's.....

I have just removed the old strings, which had been on it since I bought the guitar (6 years ago)....the old set were phosphor bronze....

Now, should I replace with phosphor bronze again, or can I fit regular nickel strings ??

(Gauge 13 - 56)

What will it do to the tone/playability....or tension/strain on the neck?

can any acoustic/electro-acoustic players advise me !!

photos_070.jpg

the one at the front obviously...:)

cheers

Sam

From my understanding you can happily fit nickel strings to an electro acoustic that has phosphor bronze strings already on it and not have any tension change related issues. Nickel strings should give a brighter tone and may sacrifice a bit of body and warmth compared to the phosphor bronze ones but fire them on and see what you prefer.

I totally agree that a stereo mic'd acoustic sounds better than an electro acoustic jacked straight in, but in a live situation plugging straight in is a lot more convenient. I've also found in most cases you can milk a bit more volume from a built in mic than you can with a condensor without having to brutally rape the EQ to avoid feedback. An electro acoustic gives you the best of both worlds and some of them can sound shit hot. Depends if you need to use it live or not i guess.

Electros almost always sound shitty plugged in, not quite as bad if you have a soundhole pickup or a piezo at the neck end rather than under the bridge. Those piezos just sound tinny.

PS on topic, just by a set of proper acoustic strings, electrics won't damage the neck but proper ones will sound better.

Thanks for the advice guys....

I went with Bigsby's recommendation (as he makes me laugh, AND generally tells it like it is!)

I bought phospher-bronze....cuz they'll sound better !

8-)

(also bought some new bridge pins.... which are shite...they wouldn't hold the string in the bridge....had to use the old ones...)