aberdeen-music

Sky broadband router

ZeromiserY

Anyone have any problems with the wireless router you get when you sign up?

(aside from the mountain of other problems I've had with them and their service) the router keeps knocking my wireless devices off. I thought to start with there was a problem with Xbox wireless adapter but then realised my phone and pc were getting intermittent connection.

I've connected the pc and 'box to the router directly with the good old RJ45 (ethernet) cable and the connection is solid and consistent. When the the wireless connection does work, the speeds are really slow and I either have to restart the router or the device to get a normal connection. Even then it only lasts a few minutes at best.

Any ideas what it could be? I'd rather not spend 30 minutes in a que just to get redirected and have to give my details 5 times.

Thanks.

zm.

From what you describe the cause could be other wireless networks near you. A lot of things can interfere with wireless networks (cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves etc) but these wouldn't give you consistent failures like you describe.

Have a look at the available wireless connections near you. If you see any Sky ones then they are almost certainly set to the same wireless channel. Have a look on T'internet and find out how to change your wireless channel on your router and try a few different ones, see if that gives you a more consistent connection.

Definitely sounds like a channel thing, if the connection is constant via Ethernet. So, what sounding said. It might not even be other networks that conflict with yours, could be anything that omits a signal. For instance, I've been working for a broadband company for the last few months and had one lady who couldn't understand why her wireless wasn't working... Turns out she had flashing fairylights draped over her router because it was too ugly.

Yeah, mine was shite when we moved house but after changing the channel it's brilliant.

If you go to address:

http://192.168.0.1

username: admin

pass: sky

and go to wireless settings then change the channel from there.

That worked best for me. You can also check out / modify other gubbins and variables in there.

Sorry if you knew that already!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, mine was shite when we moved house but after changing the channel it's brilliant.

If you go to address:

http://192.168.0.1

username: admin

pass: sky

and go to wireless settings then change the channel from there.

That worked best for me. You can also check out / modify other gubbins and variables in there.

Sorry if you knew that already!

I knew the method but not the IP/user/pass.

I was always with o2 until I moved in march and have done port forwarding etc buy it was with the bt router.

So thanks for the info!

I think it depends who you get through to on the phone, I had huge problems with bt as well. Had intermittent connection for months and finally it cut out altogether. Was without connection completely for 3 weeks. I had been telling them for months what the issue was but what do I know right? Ass-bags

I get around 11mb connection with sky but my friend who lives 5 minutes up the road gets a ba' hair aff 20mb/s. We have the same package. I think they are starting to hold back contention now since their 6 months free deal.

Really?! That's surprising given the amount of numpties i'm surrounded with at work. Some seriously questionable HR decisions.

Yeah, any time I've had a problem, which is not often, I phone up, speak to a Scottish based person, and they fix it. One time it was a channel issue and they changed channel remotely.

I get around 11mb connection with sky but my friend who lives 5 minutes up the gets a ba' hair aff 20mb/s. We have the same package. I think they are starting to hold back contention now since their 6 months free deal.

5 mins up the road is still a few kilometres of line length from the exchange so I wouldn't use that as an indicator of what you should be getting.

I've been with virgin for a few months now and have no issues with them whatsoever. They answer the phone sharpish and are pretty clued up. I phoned because my tv box was broken and got it replaced by an engineer within 2 hours of making the call. Also noticed my speed had dropped a little and got the guy over the phone to check the line for data loss, etc. He didn't get any errors but still sent out another engineer just to check the wiring.

5 mins up the road is still a few kilometres of line length from the exchange so I wouldn't use that as an indicator of what you should be getting.

I've been with virgin for a few months now and have no issues with them whatsoever. They answer the phone sharpish and are pretty clued up. I phoned because my tv box was broken and got it replaced by an engineer within 2 hours of making the call. Also noticed my speed had dropped a little and got the guy over the phone to check the line for data loss, etc. He didn't get any errors but still sent out another engineer just to check the wiring.

You can check if your wiring is dodgy by unscrewing the front on your BT socket and plugging into the test socket.

testsocketfv0.jpg

Yeah, any time I've had a problem, which is not often, I phone up, speak to a Scottish based person, and they fix it. One time it was a channel issue and they changed channel remotely.

Good stuff. The amount of complaints we get is unlike anything i've ever experienced. But then again, people generally only call call centres to complain. Nice to hear there is at least one satisfied customer.

I do think there is a widespread problem with how home broadband is marketed. the whole "up to" 10/20 meg thing is ridiculous, not to mention the exchange unbundling fiasco. How are people meant to understand that their ISP relies solely on the physical properties of their BT line and is not responsible if it's damaged or not capable of better speeds.

i'm just thinking that changing the channel could possibly up the speed or even my wireless adapter could be the issue. its probably maxed but you never know. i've never tried a speed test with ethernet connection.

will post results tonight when i get home.

thanks all.