aberdeen-music

Your Amp Recomendations...

Tav

I'm on the search for a new amp. I've considered many options and I am currently in favour of a DSL50 with a 4x12" cab. Before I shell out the cash does anyone have any other recommendations? Bearing in mind that I really want all valve or at least valves in the preamp. It has to be versatile as well. I've looked at the Ashdown Peace Maker series but I haven't been convinced by what I've read on the distortion side of things...perhaps int's more vox/fender than Mashall? Also does any one have comments on the DSL 50? How do you find it having only one EQ?

i would have to say go for the DSL, i have found no other amp thats as nice as a marshall (to me anyway)

out of interest, why is it you are going for the 50 over 401? i prefer the 401's controls and options better (less to mess about with, and the third boosted channel)

the new handwired amps (the 18watt combo, and 20watt head) look very nice, but will be uber expensive, and im not sure if they are really what you are looking for (single channel lower gain amps)

i am not a fan of laneys, all the heads and combos i have played have been rather poo in my opinion (the ones in toms, exile and in bruce millers) but if its good enough for Toni Iommi...

i would also check out the Peavey Classic 30/50, the classic 30 is supposed to be a brilliabt amp, and the 50 is the slightly bigger version of it

David

The 401 just comes in too small a package. Plus I am told that it has different circuitry from the DSL50 therefore doesn't sound like it...and I really liked the DSL50. Ever tried a TSL? Nice glassey clean channle but the drive channles didn't have anything on the DSL imo.

I am trying to buy an amplifier that's going to be able to cope with any situations thrown at it. I don't want to have to change amps in the next few years either. I am in for the long haul and that's why it's got to be something great...damn I could even part with the cash for a Mesa F-50 if the sound blew my socks off. It's all about versatility. My dad and I play different styles and I don't know how my playing is going to evolve so I would like something that's going to cope with being able to do different sounds. There seems to be lots of amps that, for example, have great clean channels but then don't deliver on the lead sounds...I'm thinking of some Fenders here and classic ClassA type amps.

The DSL50 is a good sounding amp. However, mine has been somewhat plagued by output transformer failures, despite meticulous care and cabinet matching. We don't even play that many gigs in a year, relatively speaking!

My 2203 however, has been the shitz. Paid 300 for it on ebay, came with good quality Siemens valves (rare these days), and I pulled 2 and run it as a 50W head. Has much more "tone" to it than the DSL50, which sounds very compressed in comparison, despite what you fiddle with on it. The only downer about the 2203 was I had to use a distortion pedal to drive it, and I don't like them much. So I recently did some rewiring to it's innards (pre-amp valves cathode resistor values and treble peaking circuits), and now I can plug straight into the high sensitivity input with my guitar and get a great sound.

I now use my 2203 as my main amp, but take my DSL50 as a spare to all gigs.

I thought they were re-issues of older amps from the 60s etc' date=' non master volume ones?

Thos old marshalls didn't have much gain - they were basically fender circuits.

Even my 70s MV JMP didn't have that much gain, even on 10.[/quote']

I've heard a JMP 45 reissue being played at 10 and you are right about gain...it's loud and it's got distortion but it's not got gain like a modern amp. You'll remember that experience mouse, you were sitting nearer the beast.