aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Paranoid Android

bbc.co.uk/news

Probably just the IT department trying to justify their budget before the axe falls. All departments at the BBC are very nervous right now. Not only are the Torylition cutting everything in sight just now, they also hate the BBC, so are going to starve it of funding wherever possible.

Probably just the IT department trying to justify their budget before the axe falls. All departments at the BBC are very nervous right now. Not only are the Torylition cutting everything in sight just now, they also hate the BBC, so are going to starve it of funding wherever possible.

Why on earth would the coalition government, or indeed any government hate the BBC? They have their own captive media which they can, and have, shut down everytime they've gone rogue. That's power.

The reality is that, while the BBC may represent good value for money now, that won't be true in a couple of years with wages collapsing as they are. The licence fee isn't mandatory, afterall.

Why on earth would the coalition government, or indeed any government hate the BBC?

I seem to remember a crusty, pussy-whipped, gin-sozzled old bastard by the name of Denis Thatcher referring to it as the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation. Must've been the Korsakoff's kicking in, the BBC ain't exactly left-wing...

I seem to remember a crusty, pussy-whipped, gin-sozzled old bastard by the name of Denis Thatcher referring to it as the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation. Must've been the Korsakoff's kicking in, the BBC ain't exactly left-wing...

Yeah, Callaghan and Wilson didn't seem to think so, from what I understand. Maybe there's a tendancy for the Beeb to align with the incumbant party over time which leads to friction when there's a change.

It is pretty terrible looking though. It looks like a blog now. The new main taskbar is ok, pretty much lifted from the CNN site though.

At least they haven't messed with the Sports section yet.

did anyone else think the page hadn't loaded right and refresh it a few times before realising the horror that is the new website?

The new website is TERRIBLE. For anyone with a small monitor it means the stories sit on the very far left of the screen and are almost unreadable. (No left margin) For anyone with a large monitor they sit right in the middle with large horrible white margins. (Whole page is center justified)

The mainpage Bold font and excessively large headers only serve to distract and confuse their readership while the new 'progressive' idea of having way more video content only serves to lower their news quality.

Most people don't have time to click through 100s of story videos, and anyone who was interested enough/has the time to watch them doesn't mind clicking a few extra buttons to get to those videos..

What they were thinking I don't know

(I'm a local developer with a university degree in Computer Science and some experience of web development)