aberdeen-music

Iron Maiden question?

Monk Rocker

When Adrian Smith left after "seventh son of a seventh son" they drafted in Gers to fill his boots. Bruce Dickinson left Two albums after that. They made Two more albums with Blaze and when talks to get Dickinson back in Maiden the suggestion of bringing Adrian back was addressed also to regain a classic line-up, so instead of kicking Gers out when Adrian came back they just continued. Think it's cause the didn't want to be dicks.

I know all that, but I can't figure out quite why he's still there, or why he doesn't have the insight to leave? He's just spoiling the classic line up!!

Pretty sure I recall Steve Harris saying that it was better for the live sound to have three guitars instead of two for the harmonies and suchlike. Having played in a Maiden tribute band donkeys ago, I think he does have a point on that....

Not a Dickinson fan then? I was having a totally uninformed guesstimate actually, but a quick consultation finds 'Live After Death' was released in 1985 and thus my guess was actually correct (for my personal Maiden tastes anyways).

Spot on, can't hack his voice at all. Nails on a blackboard has nothing on that shrieky warbling git.

Was listening to all the Di'anno output yesterday, still fucking love it too. "This song is called...Driftaahh".

:D

Surely any sane minded person thinks that Iron Maiden are complete wank? (cue someone to point out that I like the Smashing Pumpkins.)

No sir, I love Maiden (including and especially Blaze Bayley era Maiden) and Smashing Pumpkins. Which may not say a lot about my tastes...

Guest Bob Double Jack

i think dickinson has regained some of his early form since rejoining maiden, as they have too. the blaze era - I've tried, but i just can;t get into it at all, it is mostly pish (dont try and defend the angel and the gambler), lacks anything at all. the 3 albums since bruce went back have been, i think, very good. i loved a matter of life and death, thought it was their best since 7th son.

i agree about gers though, i've never rated him. funny how their decline tied in the loss of adrian smith, a very under rated songwriter and guitarist.

but opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one and there are plenty of them on here :-)