aberdeen-music

Hook To Perform 'Unknown Pleasures'

Sam 45

Hooky DJing is a sight to behold for sure!

The whole "reimagination" of Unknown Pleasures will be an almighty clusterfuck. Hooky used to be my favoiurite character in music but he's slowly turned into a bit of a cock knocker. I always thought he did everything he could to protect Joy Division's fine back catalogue and the whole myth behind them, but it's shit like this that tarnishes the memory. It's impossible to think what Ian Curtis would be like in middle age, let alone what he'd think of this. Although I do agree, he'd fucking hate the Happy Mondays as much as I do. Shaun ryder's one moment of magic: "I might be a honkey, but I'm hung like a donkey." The rest is a blizzard of shit for me!

The book on the Hacienda was pretty good. But by and large, you're right........

Ah, feel a bit torn about this - same feelings as when I saw Freebass a month or two ago. Hooky's playing around about Thieves Like Us was one of the reasons I picked up the bass in the first place. He was one of the few people that made the instrument exciting rather than the usual root note bollocks. Given that most Joy Division tunes seemed to be written off bass riffs, I think that's testament enough in itself. That said, he's been playing variations of the same sort of riff for at least the last twenty years and this latest little exercise, combined with DJ-gate and the whole leaving New Order stuff have made him look a bit of a twat. Not that I'm sure he gives a shit.

As for the Mondays, the first two albums were sublime; stuff like Tart Tart, Moving In With and Wrote For Luck are still brilliant and the Mark Day's guitar work is inspired. "Pills..." is good at points but begins the slip into parody, and "Yes, Please" was utter cockwash.

• Upvote 1

As for the Mondays, the first two albums were sublime; stuff like Tart Tart, Moving In With and Wrote For Luck are still brilliant and the Mark Day's guitar work is inspired. "Pills..." is good at points but begins the slip into parody, and "Yes, Please" was utter cockwash.

What he said. Although I haven't actually heard 'Yes, Please' all the way through...