aberdeen-music

Hook To Perform 'Unknown Pleasures'

Sam 45

Guest idol_wild
I can't believe he has the audacity to play songs that he wrote and performed on. The bastard.

Woah woah woah! Hold the fucking horse, here.

Are you suggesting that bassists actually contribute to a band?

Fuck that. Bassists don't contribute. They stand there and play what the fuck they are told to.

Fuck that. Bassists don't contribute. They stand there and play what the fuck they are told to.

Woah woah woah!

Are you inferring that bass is just a few strings less than a guitar because bassists are too stupid to learn to play an instrument with more than 4 strings?

As a less comedic side-note, you're playing with the wrong bassists :up:

To be fair Peter Hook circa 1979 with short hair, beard and long face was cool enough to get away with just standing there...not so much now though. Horrible idea, but at least it's potentially interesting in a car crash sort of way unlike Barney's Bad Lieutenant, which was just bland bland bland. Gimme Rowetta over that boorish Ashcroft wannabe he got to sing.

There are a few videos on Youtube of The Light playing at FAC251, it's not hugely inspiring. The thing about Hooky is that he's always said in interviews that he enjoys the gigging side of things heaps, so fair play to him for still having a go. I do wish I'd been able to see one of the Section 25 gigs with him on bass.

On a side note, I've been listening to Movement a fair bit recently, and I still think it's really good, despite the production flaws....

to be fair to hook he is one of the most distinctive bass players around, at least he has a style that is different to others and looked cool as fuck with his bass slung low. it wasnt rocket science what he played but hell the majority of joy division and new order records wouldnt be nearly as good without him.

nowadays he looks like shadrach off emmerdale.

this is just another pointless exercise of nostalgia. some things are best left alone! and unknown pleasures is one of them.... sadly we live in a world of remakes and reimaginings, a world that tries to pretend the past was somehow better than the present. i dont think it would be half as bad if Ian Curtis vocals were played over the PA., they made the joy division songs for me. this will be shit i would i would imagine!

Hooky DJing is a sight to behold for sure!

The whole "reimagination" of Unknown Pleasures will be an almighty clusterfuck. Hooky used to be my favoiurite character in music but he's slowly turned into a bit of a cock knocker. I always thought he did everything he could to protect Joy Division's fine back catalogue and the whole myth behind them, but it's shit like this that tarnishes the memory. It's impossible to think what Ian Curtis would be like in middle age, let alone what he'd think of this. Although I do agree, he'd fucking hate the Happy Mondays as much as I do. Shaun ryder's one moment of magic: "I might be a honkey, but I'm hung like a donkey." The rest is a blizzard of shit for me!