aberdeen-music

Mondegreen, Pensioner, Marionettes, Min Diesel @ Cellar 35, 7th August

4791912546_f00721fa1f_b.jpg

MONDEGREEN - myspace.com/mondegreenmondegreen

Ever wondered what Pavement would sound like if they were from the central belt and not the central valley? Love Deerhoof but wish that annoying Japanese lady would shut up for half a minute? You'll probably enjoy this lot then. Quirky, jerky pop songs that can shift from delicate and playful to downright abrasive over the course of two minutes.

PENSIONER - myspace.com/pensionerband

Pensioner remind me of Battles, Maps & Atlases, Stapleton and many other bands for different reasons but I'm finding it really hard to sum up their sound. Click the link and listen to it if you haven't already. I think the quote on the poster sums it up perfectly. Or this one:

'Fantastic mathy rock music!' - (Vic Galloway)

MARIONETTES - myspace.com/themarionettes

Having lost the definite article and gained a new bassist, guitarist and a shiny synthesiser, have continued to draw superlatives from audiences and critics alike. On August 7th, they bring their maelstrom of Strokes/Arctic Monkeys-styled garage-rock and Nirvana-esque earth-shifting bass and drums to Cellar 35.

MIN DIESEL - myspace.com/mindieseluk

Need a ripped hunk for your next Hollywood blockbuster? Dont call Min Diesel: they are three undernourished twenty-somethings with bad skin and an aversion to exercise. They like to listen to Fugazi, Sebadoh and early R.E.M. and the music they make together reflects this. They will be using this gig to launch a CD of recordings of said music, if they get it finished in time.

SATURDAY 7th AUGUST

CELLAR 35

8PM, 4 ENTRY (18+ only, plskthx)

Yeah, really fun time.

It was the first time I'd been to cellar 35, is it like that every saturday?

Not really. But hopefully some more gigs with Scottish based bands will happen in there (keep costs down - no guarantees).

I caught the last three Pensioner songs. They were great. Like, Epic is a banger. I'm siding with the people who like more vocals as opposed to the instrumentals.

Mondegreen had their moments for sure - there were some really cool 'jagged yet driving' parts.

Min Diesel looked great, as did their CD.

Not really. But hopefully some more gigs with Scottish based bands will happen in there (keep costs down - no guarantees).

I caught the last three Pensioner songs. They were great. Like, Epic is a banger. I'm siding with the people who like more vocals as opposed to the instrumentals.

Mondegreen had their moments for sure - there were some really cool 'jagged yet driving' parts.

Min Diesel looked great, as did their CD.

cheers to everyone who turned up

mnettes, mdgreen and pshinner were all aces

can't remember so much about m diesel, everything after midnight is hazy