aberdeen-music

Snare Drums...

Guffer09

Although Iv been playing for 8 years,

im not going to pretend like I have a clue about snare drums.

Iv been playing the same kit since day one.

Its a decent enough kit although in comparison to playing many snares elseware, getting a much "clearer" hit, Iv decided its about time to look into this.

I'll give Andy a shout next time im in Musical Vision but you guys got any info or anything about decent snares or where to go...

Thanks, x

The Rock Factory in Castleford Yorkshire, where i got most of my stuff from, huge selction of drum equipment, cymbals, percussion, drums etc hardware, everything, and cheaper than most.

Depends what you really want from a drum, no-one can advise you on whats best as it really comes down to personal preference, I've been playing for 18 years and have yet to find a snare that I would be truely happy with. I've had, pearl, mapex, Tama, DW, the lot!! Although Sleishmann do some really nice bit as do Orange, but imho, very very overpriced like DW and Brady.

Alot of choice comes into what suits the style of music you play but not really at the same time, I play pretty heavy fast stuff, but dont like steel / brass snares as they ring too much for me, I prefer the sound of a snappy wooden snare. Something pretty shallow usually does the job.

• 2 weeks later...
I would head down to Rhythm Base in Glasgow. I did that last year and got to try out a load of snares. They have a large demo room out the back and a good selection of wood and metal snares. If you go down during the week it is usually quiet.

Agreed. Really good shop and free postage if I remember rightly.