aberdeen-music

Vox AC30 vs Blackstar Stage 60 vs Orange rockerverb 30

Runcie

I'm selling my Marshall TSL halfstack because it ways a a tonne and isn't giving me the sound I'm after.

I'm after a combo for around 700. Any thoughts or recommendations?? I'm gonna try them out beforehand (if any shops in Aberdeen or Dundee stock them) but if anyone has any 1st hand experience with any of these your opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Runcie

I've got a Vox AC15 Custom Classic which I think is a great amp. I've used it to gig in the tunnels a couple of times and it's been plenty loud enough to use in that size of venue. It's got a lovely tone and the reverb and tremolo are great, as is the "top boost". It's just one channel though so an overdrive or distortion pedal is a must.

I did look at the AC30 but it just seemed a bit much for what I needed. It's bloody heavy too but it does have slightly more features than the AC15.

Guest idol_wild

AC30 amps are the absolute fucking breasts. I have been fortunate enough to use that model twice this summer; and with the right guitar, I think these amps are just unbeatable.

I used to be such a Fender man, but Vox amps are mint. My dream amp. I'll never ever afford one, but I will always dream.

Cheers for the replies guys. I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow so I'm gonna have a nose around and see what suits me. Anyone had reliability issues with Vox stuff? I know what the internet's like and it's probably just a few isolated incidents being blown out of proportion but there's a few folk saying Vox stuff's a bit dodgey.

Guest idol_wild
Cheers for the replies guys. I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow so I'm gonna have a nose around and see what suits me. Anyone had reliability issues with Vox stuff? I know what the internet's like and it's probably just a few isolated incidents being blown out of proportion but there's a few folk saying Vox stuff's a bit dodgey.

I think back in the day they were considered to be troublesome amps, but from what I have heard from regular Vox users, their reliability is pretty solid with the newer editions of the model.

I've had mine about two and a half years and I've had no problems at all, It's not been gigged that many times but it gets a lot of home use (at very low volume).

Guest idol_wild

Take your guitar to a shop and give both the amps a try - it's probably your best option. I would like to reiterate, though, that you won't have any more problems with an AC30 than you would with other valve amps, in my opinion. I don't think reliability needs to come into consideration here - it's all about which amp you feel sounds better with your guitar and your set up (i.e, it might be a good idea to bring your main pedals [if you use any] along to the wee try out.)

That's certainly the approach I'd adopt these days. A few years back I'd be flippant about that, but I would not buy a large scale valve amp without trying it first with my set up now.

I've got an old AC30 and a HT5.

The HT5 is obviously not going to knock your socks of with volume, but it does sound fabulous, as has every Blackstar I've played.

The Vox is a classic and the sound of 1000's of songs past and present. Are they reliable? My one is over 40years old and still running.

Orange are great amps and have a distinct sound though. I've not owned one but I have thought of it many times.

None of those amps are bad, so it would depend on the sound you are looking for. If you're going to be using pedals...then the worlds your lobster. Saying that, the Blackstar has slighty more scope for getting different tones etc.

Of the three, I'd probably just plump for the Orange, but that's due to the kind of music I play. A big, loud, ballsy, heavy amp is fine for my band. However, if I was going for something to play across the board and that wasn't band specific if you like, I'd take the Vox.

I've played a Blackstar too, and they are pretty decent. My main distortion pedal is now one of the HT range too.

I think the long and the short of it is that all three amps will prove to be good buys. I'd reiterate what Phil said: take your set up into the shop and give the amps a proper try out. Then you'll be in the best position to make the best call.