aberdeen-music

get a grip

Aileen

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail

Yeah frankly I think the aberdeen scene consists largely of what amounts to nothing more than samey unimaginative tribute acts' date=' more interested in being "in a band" and imitating pop groups, than artistic expression.[/quote']

Despite being proven wrong, you still persist with this nonsense. It's pointless talking to you.

Guest allsystemsfail
No your post was cool...Stripey's post had the invalid points. Should have made that clearer' date=' I was agreeing with you![/quote']

Sorry. I misunderstood your post.

Guest Stripey
Despite being proven wrong' date=' you still persist with this nonsense. It's pointless talking to you.[/quote']

"proven wrong"? hahahahahah. Why did you delete your post about filthpact and voice of aggression? I haven't heard filthpact, but I've heard VoA and there was nothing interesting about it atall. I stand by what I've said, most of the local bands seem to be kids playing at being rockers/punks playing bland little nursery rhymes.

Guest allsystemsfail
"proven wrong"? hahahahahah. Why did you delete your post about filthpact and voice of aggression? I haven't heard filthpact' date=' but I've heard VoA and there was nothing interesting about it atall. I stand by what I've said, most of the local bands seem to be kids playing at being rockers/punks playing bland little nursery rhymes.[/quote']

I deleted it as I knew continuing with this discussion was utterly pointless.

Nursery rhymes? Songs whose content demands social justice? Get a clue. Sure, I am talking about a small number of bands, but you're so sweeping in your condemnation of any outfit from Aberdeen.

And kids? Filthpact/Voice Of Aggression member Jeeves is 42. Actually, most folks in Aberdeen who hold with the views of the DIY punk community are in their thirties.

Guest Stripey
I deleted it as I knew continuing with this discussion was utterly pointless.

Nursery rhymes? Songs whose content demands social justice? Get a clue. Sure' date=' I am talking about a small number of bands, but you're so sweeping in your condemnation of any outfit from Aberdeen.

And kids? Filthpact/Voice Of Aggression member Jeeves is 42. Actually, most folks in Aberdeen who hold with the views of the DIY punk community are in their thirties.[/quote']

Hahaha, people playing at being "punks" and singing songs about "social justice", what a huge stinking mangy dead old cliche.

Guest allsystemsfail
Hahaha' date=' people playing at being "punks" and singing songs about "social justice", what a huge stinking mangy dead old cliche.[/quote']

A cliche? It is this movement's committment to change that makes the punk underground so exciting and challenging.

And playing at being punks? Some of the folks I know have been punks for over 20 years.

Look, until you actually know what you're talking about, then I suggest you say nothing. You're just making a fool of yourself.

Guest allsystemsfail
Up the Tooting^H^H^H^HAberdeen Popular Front!

REVOLUTION! SOCIAL JUSTICE FOR ALL!

citizensmith_3.jpg

Your posting does not demonstrate a cleverness, but only your idiocy - a complete absence of understanding of what I was talking about.

man shut the fuck up. Your opinion has started to get very stale and boring. So what if you dont like what they play whats it of your business to put in your criticism where it is not wanted. If you dont like it just dont listen to the music and keep your mouth shut because you are not providing any constructive criticism at all.

Guest Stripey
man shut the fuck up. Your opinion has started to get very stale and boring. So what if you dont like what they play whats it of your business to put in your criticism where it is not wanted. If you dont like it just dont listen to the music and keep your mouth shut because you are not providing any constructive criticism at all.

Of course criticism isn't wanted, but that's why it's needed, and that is why the scene is unhealthy and singleminded.

no criticism is welcomed just yours isnt helpful. If you provide criticism that will tell them where they need to improve they will accept. What they won't accept is the same old its boring thing especially when you aren't even into that kind of music.

Guest allsystemsfail
Of course criticism isn't wanted' date=' but that's why it's needed, and that is why the scene is unhealthy and singleminded.[/quote']

Criticism yes, but only when it is based on a sound knowledge of what you are talking about. Your understanding and knowledge of the punk underground? You have none. That much is clear.

Guest Stripey
no criticism is welcomed just yours isnt helpful. If you provide criticism that will tell them where they need to improve they will accept. What they won't accept is the same old its boring thing especially when you aren't even into that kind of music.

Erm, if I go into an art gallery, there are different styles of painting or sculpture etc, all of which I take in because I like visual art in general. Say I'm not to keen on a specific style, I'm still able to tell wether something in that style is a good example or a bad example. The same goes for music.

Where is the art in imitating your favourite band? It's all been done before and done better. I've used the analogy before but everything I've heard come out of Aberdeen is more like tacky prints in a poster shop, than a proper original piece of art.

If you don't like what I have to say, you don't have to listen.

Guest allsystemsfail
Erm' date=' if I go into an art gallery, there are different styles of painting or sculpture etc, all of which I take in because I like visual art in general. Say I'm not to keen on a specific style, I'm still able to tell wether something in that style is a good example or a bad example. The same goes for music.

Where is the art in imitating your favourite band? It's all been done before and done better. I've used the analogy before but everything I've heard come out of Aberdeen is more like tacky prints in a poster shop, than a proper original piece of art.

If you don't like what I have to say, you don't have to listen.[/quote']

Hey man, my point stands regarding the punk community. Your postings prove you have no idea about what you're talking about.

I can completely relate with what you're saying, Aileen! i used to go to a lot of gigs just because.. well, I liked the music. that was about 2 years ago though and then the punk/emo scene came about and a lot of the bands i used to see never bothered coming up to aberdeen any more. now, I don't have anything against neither punk nor emo, and i do in fact like both genres, but I am just saying. Anyway, it seems to be more a case of if you DON'T go to a gig then you're not supporting the scene? I don't understand it myself, because if 'the scene' wasn't full of pretentious wankers, then I might actually support it.

some people on this thread seem to be a little confused....there have been several mentions of bands not wanting to come to (or come back to) Aberdeen....horseshit!

Promoting gigs is all about supply and demand...there is little likelyhood that the band have no desire to play Aberdeen, more likely that promoters (who dont like to loose money) dont book them.

Its a tough old game bringing new music to the people, and what the local promoter needs to do if he has doubt about the pulling power of a touring band he has booked is bring in a local band with a good following of fans....Alyssa's Wish made it possible for good bands with no track record to play Aberdeen on several occasions, the fact that AW attracted 100+ kids made it possible to pay these bands their fee even though there were 10 people who remained to watch said touring band's set.

This has been the way of things for many years and often seems a little unfair as the support who attract the punters get little of the profit....their payoff is they get the chance to play to some new people...sometimes...promoters should be fair about this and give the local band an ocassional support of a band with pull, some promoters are not very good at this!! :rolleyes:

Guest pop-notmyface

i only go to gigs when im genuinely interested or like the bands...but there are so few around these days that are to my liking.

the thing where you see a "mate's band" is the kinda thing you only do once anyway...

Erm' date=' if I go into an art gallery, there are different styles of painting or sculpture etc, all of which I take in because I like visual art in general. Say I'm not to keen on a specific style, I'm still able to tell wether something in that style is a good example or a bad example. The same goes for music.

If you don't like what I have to say, you don't have to listen.[/quote']

Thats a pile of fucking bolloks. If you go to any city you are obviously gonna have bands that sound like other bands, thats just the way it is.

But to shit on aberdeen saying there is nothing orignal? Have you been to listen to anything? I dont think you have, the talent and originality of most aberdeen based bands is fucking awesome and there is always new material and groups getting together to make things even better. Go to drakes and watch Vomitus, Politik or something and then you tell me there is nothing original coming out here, go on i fucking dare you.

Guest Stripey
Thats a pile of fucking bolloks. If you go to any city you are obviously gonna have bands that sound like other bands' date=' thats just the way it is.

But to shit on aberdeen saying there is nothing orignal? Have you been to listen to anything? I dont think you have, the talent and originality of most aberdeen based bands is fucking awesome and there is always new material and groups getting together to make things even better. Go to drakes and watch Vomitus, Politik or something and then you tell me there is nothing original coming out here, go on i fucking dare you.[/quote']

There's nothing original coming out here, certainly nothing I'd voluntarily listen to, and I completely stand by what I've said. How old are you, 12?

Yes i am 12. Problem?

No i am not 12, what sort of immature response was that?

So for what reason do you think aberdeen music has no originality? Are you just scared to leave your house to actually listen to some music? Or is change a daunting prospect for you and you cant handle the reality of that not all bands sound the same? And if your so pissed off about everyone sounding the same, go start your own band and revolutionise the aberdeen music scene, somehow dont think you will.