aberdeen-music

get a grip

Aileen

Guest Jake Wifebeater

What is this "scene" thing, anyway? I'm in a band that happens to be based in Aberdeen, but that's it as far as the "local scene" goes. We've only gigged in Aberdeen, but I'll take any gig, shameless whore that I am. However, I'm fucked if I'm going to limit things to this relatively small corner of this relatively small country when there's a whole fucking world out there. For example, I've just traded some copies of our CD with a friend from Belgium. Also, we are on a compilation cassette which is being released by a guy in Belarus. It has bands on it from Hungary, Serbia-Montenegro, Croatia, U.S.A and others. Music is worldwide and bands should be busting a gut to get their music as far across the world as possible. To finish off with a cheap plug, this comp tape will be ready soon for 1.50.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "scene" is just a joke' date=' its a bunch of schoolkids with zero taste in music, and this upsets me. The city is a shithole and the people living in it are braindead.[/quote']

excuse me? The majority of people that go to local gigs are not school kids.

Guest Stripey
excuse me? The majority of people that go to local gigs are not school kids.

schoolkids includes people at college and uni. Who exactly goes to gigs then?

Guest Stripey
What is this "scene" thing' date=' anyway? I'm in a band that happens to be based in Aberdeen, but that's it as far as the "local scene" goes. We've only gigged in Aberdeen, but I'll take any gig, shameless whore that I am. However, I'm fucked if I'm going to limit things to this relatively small corner of this relatively small country when there's a whole fucking world out there. For example, I've just traded some copies of our CD with a friend from Belgium. Also, we are on a compilation cassette which is being released by a guy in Belarus. It has bands on it from Hungary, Serbia-Montenegro, Croatia, U.S.A and others. Music is worldwide and bands should be busting a gut to get their music as far across the world as possible. To finish off with a cheap plug, this comp tape will be ready soon for 1.50.[/quote']

well said.

well when your 20 you aitn exactly a kid now arent you. 'Punk Rock' bands like QUik and Point Of Origin dont really pull in a lot of people nowadays. The bands that pull in most people are bands like King Liar and The Brutes, Stacatto Set, Eric Euan and more mature sounding bands.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

10 Easy Wishes have played a lot of shows in a lot of places in this country and also on islands and in europe too and it happens everywhere. It's not an Aberdeen thing, it's a people thing.

well when your 20 you aitn exactly a kid now arent you. 'Punk Rock' bands like QUik and Point Of Origin dont really pull in a lot of people nowadays. The bands that pull in most people are bands like King Liar and The Brutes' date=' Stacatto Set, Eric Euan and more mature sounding bands.[/quote']

King Liar....mature....wha?

Awesome, yes...

Anyway, yeah...some of the best bands I've seen are because I've stayed and been pleasantly suprised. I've also seen some right shit, but you win some lose some, son...gun...fun...bun....done.

Guest stuartmaxwell

this annoys me a lot

i have ben to countless gigs where this happens, yeah it sucks but people are entitled to do what they want

i find that a lot of bands do come back because a few people took the time out to come along and be suportive towards them, plus out of towners get treated very well by drakes and the moorings and that is a big factor

on the whole "going to gigs for scene points" rubbish, i find that such a stupid statement

i go to many gigs and i have met a lot of really great people who are like me in that they love music and getting cunted, why is that a crime?i have made some really good friends through the music scene and it will be sad to move to glasgow in that respect (but great in that i will get to see loads of bands who dont touch aberdeen)

and on another perspective, its not like our scene is a place to be seen, nobody outwith the network of gig going/bands etc actually gives a toss about it and its not worth anything to anybody except us (as in everybody who attends gigs, contributes etc etc)

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i think its rather hilarious when everyone goes on about being in 'the scene' and all the 'scenesters'...firstly, who gives a toss? and oh, whats that, just because you go to a lot of gigs, and have a lot of friends who also go to a lot of gigs, you're a scenester who doesn't care about the music...is it just me or does that not make sense?

and also stripey....umm....when was the last time you listened to some aberdeen bands, because i fail to see the abundance of 'metallica and blink 182 tributes' you mentioned earlier.

Guest stuartmaxwell

its all about the music...baby!

there are some truly passionate people in aberdeen, some on here, some not

i think it is great when people call always put "" before and after the word scene, its like they are denying that it exists

people work hard to put on shows every night of the week and it kinda annoys me when their hard work is overseen by a bunch of idiots trying to be cool and dismiss everything as crap or thinking about it waaaay too much etc

i do realise that there are a lot of shite shows put on by promoters who dont seem to care about the line up/music/the bands but there are those who do it for the music (interesting music, drakes, ross, kirkt, audio dropouts, sonic deth monkey r.i.p) and that makes a big difference, we are lucky that for the location and size of aberdeen we have live bands playing 7 nights a week

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i don't know what to think of the whole scene thing these days anyway, a lot of the time it does seem like no-one really cares that much. but i know there are many folk who really do care, i'd class myself as one of those, and the people who, as mr maxwell said, work hard to put on shows here, a shitty little place in the north of scotland. being honest, i don't think it really matters in the end what everyone is at a gig for if it means there is enough numbers to keep our music scene going, its always nice if they're there for the music though.

Guest allsystemsfail
Oh god' date=' I think I love you!

I was a fellow stayer! They absolutey owned that night, and if I can remember right (don't quote me on it), Alyssa's Wish were playing at the Lemon Tree, so there were about 15 people left after the support had played. That was the worst I've seen for people leaving and it sucked so much. Antimaniax played a blinder of a set, yet there was one single man dancing in the middle of the floor... I felt so sorry for them having come all this way and watch the crowd disappear. I was embarrassed to be an Aberdeen gig-goer then. Everyone that left totally missed out, and thanks to them, I doubt the band will be in a hurry to come back.

I have 'As Long As People Think' and 'I'm Without Sleep in this Desert of Concrete' dowloaded, but I feel bad so I'm gonna buy them both soon![/quote']

That's right, Alyssa's Wish were playing at The Lemon Tree that night, and I felt disgusted that most folks left to go catch a band they'd no doubt seen many many times before, or were interested only in catching their friends play.

Yeah, do check out both As Long As People Think and I'm Without Sleep.

Guest allsystemsfail
this is a thing that can bother me from time to time. i always feel thats its more embarrassing than anything when a touring band comes to play up here and everyone fucks off after the local support' date=' its rude and really not right. i understand completely if you don't particularly like the band after giving them a listen and would rather talk to some friends, i often do that, but its the ones that just leave without giving the band a chance which bother me.

that said, you have to consider the fact that at drakes, where the main band often isn't on till after 11 that its hard to stick around, as most people's last buses are at 11ish, mine included, and i have missed some bands i would have loved to see because of this. (taxis aren't an option living 17 miles away really)[/quote']

I completely understand your point regarding Drakes. Sure, folks are gonna have to go to catch the last bus home, but I've seen folks leave to go to Moshulu - a place they can go to any week.

Guest allsystemsfail
Having read through this thread I have to ask' date=' why be in a band if you can't stand critiscism in all it's glorious forms. What if people leave after their mates band performs, you can't do anything about it. People don't want to go out and listen to bands which, most of the time sound almost exactly alike, they want to go out and be entertained by a band with a good stage routine or bands which their friends are in. As is the case nowadays most bands in Aberdeen do sound almost exactly alike and most if not all have rather disinteresting stage performances and dark lyrics.[/quote']

I'm sorry, but a lotta folks won't even give the touring outfits a chance.

Guest highroller

theres some stuff in here i agree with strongly...Aileens original point is awesome and true. Stripey, youre still an ill informed prick and you have absolutely no clue, you comment on a scene that you dont understand (made apparent by your stupid posts) and to be honest its really pathetic that you post on a website devoted to the very thing that you hate. anyone else find this pretty fucking lame? what a dick.

Guest allsystemsfail
Remember though that a lot of people need to get the last bus home or have to be home for whatever time [not that I ever do :p ] plus people know local bands as they've probably seen them quite a few times or heard mp3s - touring bands are less likely to have been heard before perhaps?

Then isn't that all the more reason to stay - the fact that they haven't heard the headlining act? Hey, if you've paid to go see a show, then why not catch all the bands?

Guest allsystemsfail
The "scene" is just a joke' date=' its a bunch of schoolkids with zero taste in music, and this upsets me. The city is a shithole and the people living in it are braindead.[/quote']

You see, there you go with the schoolkids thing again. Have you actually caught any local shows? Granted, shows at Kev tend to draw a younger crowd, but at Drakes? No.

Guest allsystemsfail
The populace of aberdeen needs a kick up the arse' date=' there is fuck all of any interest going on, the scene is depressing. All we got is metallica tributes and blink 182 tributes and frankly it makes me puke, people need to get a life and stop pulling their own cocks and start being genuinely creative.[/quote']

Metallica and Blink tributes? That's all we got in Aberdeen? You really haven't a clue.

Metallica and Blink tributes? That's all we got in Aberdeen? You really haven't a clue.

Yip if your going to argue at least do it with valid points. I can't wait to get gigging again. Playing infront of small crowds can be bollocks but at least your getting to play which should be the main thing if your in a band. There's been some gigs I've played with large turnouts and it was great but you can't expect that everytime.

I haven't been to a gig in quite a while so I don't know what state things are in now. I really need to stop working so much and get out and see some live music again.

Guest allsystemsfail
Yip if your going to argue at least do it with valid points. I can't wait to get gigging again. Playing infront of small crowds can be bollocks but at least your getting to play which should be the main thing if your in a band. There's been some gigs I've played with large turnouts and it was great but you can't expect that everytime.

I haven't been to a gig in quite a while so I don't know what state things are in now. I really need to stop working so much and get out and see some live music again.

My point regarding Stripey's statement was not valid????

this annoys me a lot

on the whole "going to gigs for scene points" rubbish' date=' i find that such a stupid statement

[/quote']

Oh please offcourse scene points exist, You see the same people, hear the same music at moshulu every week, then these people attend the same concerts.

Why do moshulu play the same music every week? Offcourse its to give these sceners what they want.

Thats why whenever a band i like comes to town, its a once off mainly due to the fact that these pop kids dont attend. Face it they all listen to the same emo/nu metal crap

Im so sick of this trend and you know what i say? I say fuck them all. The scene is shit and because of that i cant see the bands i want to in aberdeen and fuck that aswell

'...firstly' date=' who gives a toss?not make sense?

[/quote']

So you think that whenever a band i like comes to town and gets a poor turnout because of this "plague", they never come again. You think thats ok?

I fucking well dont and im real sick of it

Guest Stripey
You see' date=' there you go with the schoolkids thing again. Have you actually caught any local shows? Granted, shows at Kev tend to draw a younger crowd, but at Drakes? No.[/quote']

Yes I have actually.

Yeah frankly I think the aberdeen scene consists largely of what amounts to nothing more than samey unimaginative tribute acts, more interested in being "in a band" and imitating pop groups, than artistic expression.