aberdeen-music

get a grip

Aileen

Guest Stripey
Yes i am 12. Problem?

No i am not 12' date=' what sort of immature response was that?

So for what reason do you think aberdeen music has no originality? Are you just scared to leave your house to actually listen to some music? Or is change a daunting prospect for you and you cant handle the reality of that not all bands sound the same? And if your so pissed off about everyone sounding the same, go start your own band and revolutionise the aberdeen music scene, somehow dont think you will.[/quote']

Every single band I've heard here has been bland, unimaginative, uninspiring, dated, generic and pointless. That's my opinion, and I'd rather tell it to you straight than pretend I think otherwise. Your precious "scene" has no critics and that is why it is so small and unimportant . Nobody seems to have the honesty to tell it like it is, and that is bad news.

FYI I do write music and you can listen to it and slate it if you like, http://www.neuscan.com and http://www.neuscan.com/outlines

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stripey
Of course it has critics' date=' i agree there is plenty of shit music in aberdeen. But you are slating the whole 'scene'. That is just narrowminded and shows that your not even willing to give it a chance.[/quote']

I've been giving a chance for the past year and I'm still unconvinced. I still don't have any local bands CD's in my rack or mp3's in my playlist.

Undiscerning audiences, people being scared to criticse incase they offend a friend, and unimaginative artsts = recipe for a cesspool.

Stripey, if you hate the aberdeen music scene and everyone involved in it SO much, why do you bother posting on here, it seems to me that all you do is piss and moan about other people and other bands but contribute nothing positive as an alternative.

Guest Stripey
Stripey' date=' if you hate the aberdeen music scene and everyone involved in it SO much, why do you bother posting on here, it seems to me that all you do is piss and moan about other people and other bands but contribute nothing positive as an alternative.[/quote']

I post here because I live in Aberdeen and I write music, therefore I am part of the "scene".

Why do you post here? What exactly do you contribute, except inane babble?

I post here because I live in Aberdeen and I write music' date=' therefore I am part of the "scene".

Why do you post here? What exactly do you contribute, except inane babble?[/quote']

inane babble? can you actually hear yourself?!

im not gonna try and make out that i contribute any more than i do in simply going to gigs and seeing the local bands that i like, and other bands who visit aberdeen! at least i can say i offer support to the bands who work hard to make the aberdeen music scene worthwhile, rather than just slating everyone left right and centre!

Guest Stripey
inane babble? can you actually hear yourself?!

im not gonna try and make out that i contribute any more than i do in simply going to gigs and seeing the local bands that i like' date=' and other bands who visit aberdeen! at least i can say i offer support to the bands who work hard to make the aberdeen music scene worthwhile, rather than just slating everyone left right and centre![/quote']

Well you know, there are actually people in this city who are a bit more grown up and have a more refined taste in music than the mindless shit peddled by schoolkids for schoolkids which constitutes your little "scene".

I see people in here complaining about low turnouts for gigs. That's because the music is crap and only appeals to a small audience of kids. The scene needs a kick up the arse and dose of reality.

I see people in here complaining about low turnouts for gigs. That's because the music is crap and only appeals to a small audience of kids. The scene needs a kick up the arse and dose of reality.

I think we can close this thread now. I don't always agree with Stripey, but he hits the nail on the head this time.

Guest Stripey
I think we can close this thread now. I don't always agree with Stripey' date=' but he hits the nail on the head this time.[/quote']

Easynow, don't take the piss.

I think we can close this thread now. I don't always agree with Stripey' date=' but he hits the nail on the head this time.[/quote']

The current trends in music are "indie - punk/funk etc" "emo/post-hardcore" and "Hair Metal"

Thus that is what all the promotors will try and book and the djs will play in the clubs.

Every one on here is guilty of one thing....... Supporting live music.... So stop the petty bullshit arguements.

If you like a band / act / dj or whatever go and see them / him / her / it in a live enviroment. Don`t listen to anything any of the jumped up opinionated tossers on here have to say about it..... Me included...... If you like something... go to the gig..... and don`t listen to anyone else.

Some people forget that not everyone gets into music at a very young age and some people's music tastes mature to varying degrees.

Your taste in music is ace!... you like every cd that you listen to!

Personally I hate a hell of a lot of my cd collection but that`s a downside to the job.

Thank you and goodnight!

My point was this - there seems to be a lack of quality control in Aberdeen (And I've probably been just as guilty of this in the past), bands just seem to be satisfied to peddle the same badly played lame shit over and over without any direction, development, and even sometimes basic musicianship. I'm certainly more moderate in my opinions of local music that Stripey is, but I can see how he's come the conclusions he's drawn.

I'm gonna have to disagree with pretty much everyone, although i see what stripey is saying, i still think this whole argument is a heap of arse. Everyone is talking about the scene as if it's some sort of company that isnt doing so well and all the employees be it the bands or the punters/kids just aren't doing a good enough job, if this is the case then prehaps we should just lock all the scene in a room, elect a CEO and make up a business plan... of course thats stupid, and this is why i hate this mentality. The scene is just a word to take in everything that is going on in aberdeen music wise, alot of people up here don't know half of it and i for one am the first to stand up and say i dont know piss all about the scene in aberdeen.

I can see how stripey gets annoyed when people refer to the scene as the corner of Aberdeen that consists of 'bands' (vox/guitar/bass/drums) playing mainly rock/punk influenced music, there is alot more to it and it doesnt just consist of drakes/kef/moshulu, maybe its just the way this site is set up to accomodate for this part of the scene, so yes, up here you will find alot of people unaware...

...admittedly im not preticularly intrested in everything else going on, but i know it's there, if you know what i mean.

On to my main point, that i almost managed to completely forget whilst babbling. Music is one of the arts. no? Like art it's all very much down to your own interpretation of it, and from there you do what feels good to you. I personally like any kind of music that gives me that feeling right at the bottom of my stomach, that incontainable urge to throw yourself about, nod your head or punch a fist in the air. Black Atom gives me that feeling, it's my passion, and i dont really give a fuck if someone thinks it's outdated, or it's re-treading old ground or that we're just a 'tribute band'. Which is why most of the stuff in this thread has gone in one ear and out the other, i dont care... because i love what i do, playing music i have so much passion for on stage infront of like minded people, is possibly the greatest feeling in the world for me, whether there's 9 people there or 200, whether they like it or not, at the end of the day, i went on stage, i did what i love to do, i had fun and it's a massive bonus if anyone out there took it in and appreciated it.... And i know that any real band in this city will be able to stand up and say the exact same thing...

Perhaps there is a bit of a glut of bands consisting of people who just want a slightly bigger ego, or to get noticed, or with the 'they're in a band and they're cool, we should start a band' mentality, lord knows i'd be a rich man if i had a pound every time someone came up to me at an Atom gig and said, "you guys are cool, i'm trying to get a band together like you" but whatever, yeah sure these bands in question may actually make it as far as gigging, (the AUBL is still full of kiddie bands that decided they wanted to be in a band took some photos sitting about looking moody then forgot to get any music or gig) but to be honest if they really are just retreading old ground as a quick, lets get some attention scheme they wont last 5 minutes, providing they dont get encouraged.

As for everyone else, like i said before, it's about the passion, no kick up the arses needed i recon, people are doing what they want because its what they love to do, and if you think this isn't good enough, prehaps you should start writing up those business plans....

Id like to make a couple of observations........

This stripey character is a dick

He posts on here with the sole purpose of pissing people off.

He cant accept that a band can be entertaining unless 'he' approves of them.

He has no concept of what a "scene" is and has no experience of the scene in any other city or he would realise that Aberdeen has a very large and healthy scene in relation to its size.

He is quite clearly a narrow minded individual who wears very large blinkers and believes that unless music fits through his narrow window of acceptance its no good.

He's a dick.

G...

Guest allsystemsfail
I post here because I live in Aberdeen and I write music' date=' therefore I am part of the "scene".

Why do you post here? What exactly do you contribute, except inane babble?[/quote']

Can you be more offensive?

Guest Stripey
Id like to make a couple of observations........

This stripey character is a dick

He posts on here with the sole purpose of pissing people off.

He cant accept that a band can be entertaining unless 'he' approves of them.

He has no concept of what a "scene" is and has no experience of the scene in any other city or he would realise that Aberdeen has a very large and healthy scene in relation to its size.

He is quite clearly a narrow minded individual who wears very large blinkers and believes that unless music fits through his narrow window of acceptance its no good.

He's a dick.

G...

I'm allowed to have an opinion aren't I? Yeah bands can be entertaining, but there's a difference between bands which play mindless tunes at pubs and weddings "to keep the punters happy", and bands which are actually doing something artistic and meaningful. It *is* supposed to be an artform afterall, isn't it?

I do know what a scene is and I'm part of a much bigger and livelier one than Aberdeen. Like I said before, here there is zero feedback, bands just playing gigs and nobody criticising them, that just isn't healthy atall.

Guest allsystemsfail
Well you know' date=' there are actually people in this city who are a bit more grown up and have a more refined taste in music than the mindless shit peddled by schoolkids for schoolkids which constitutes your little "scene".

I see people in here complaining about low turnouts for gigs. That's because the music is crap and only appeals to a small audience of kids. The scene needs a kick up the arse and dose of reality.[/quote']

There you go with the schoolkids again.

Yeah bands can be entertaining' date=' but there's a difference between bands which play mindless tunes at pubs and weddings "to keep the punters happy", and bands which are actually doing something artistic and meaningful. It *is* supposed to be an artform afterall, isn't it? [/quote']

I agree completely, although, 'meaningful' is the key term, i know for example, you dont rate Atom very highly but to me it is a reason to go on, so therefore it's very meaningful to me, in the same way everyone's allowed to have an opinion, everyone is different and thier music means different things to different people.

Like I said before' date=' here there is zero feedback, bands just playing gigs and nobody criticising them, that just isn't healthy atall.[/quote']

I also agree, criticism/feedback is eternally important, and theres not enough of it on these boards, but alot of people dont understand the difference between 'constructive' crticism and just slagging off people in a very schoolkid fashion because it's not what your into... yourself included.

I'm allowed to have an opinion aren't I? Yeah bands can be entertaining' date=' but there's a difference between bands which play mindless tunes at pubs and weddings "to keep the punters happy", and bands which are actually doing something artistic and meaningful. It *is* supposed to be an artform afterall, isn't it?

I do know what a scene is and I'm part of a much bigger and livelier one than Aberdeen. Like I said before, here there is zero feedback, bands just playing gigs and nobody criticising them, that just isn't healthy atall.[/quote']

Everyone is entitled to an opinion....I just happen to believe you're opinion is flawed, (and by the look of things I'm not alone) and I believe I am entitled to say so.

I have no idea why you made the "pubs and weddings" comment, are you referring to covers bands? if you are I also have an opinion on that, music is unlike art in one significant area, if you copy art it has to be an exact copy, you don't hear of people "covering" paintings, when a band "covers" a song or piece of music, a certain amount of artistic individuality comes through, a band can be artistic and original playing someone else's music.

I believe that in most cases all the feedback most bands need is the numbers of people who show up at their gigs, if I buy a product at Asda and don't like it I don't have to go on a message board and say its shit, I just know not to buy it again.

The problem with you're comments stripey is, as lots of people have said before me, they are ALL negative, all the bands are shit the scene is shit etc etc.....who do you think you are helping....? how does you're pointless negative comments make the scene healthier...?

Just because the music being played by the small number of bands you have seen isn't to you're particular taste doesn't make the scene as a whole "shit"

Everyone has different taste's in music and art in general.....it would be a very sad and boring world if we all fell into corporate and media traps and all liked the same things, but it does no good just telling people that the bands they love are shite, helping people to appreciate or understand that there are alternatives to what they enjoy is a far better approach and one that is sadly lacking on these boards....I think its snobbery.

Yes I have actually.

Yeah frankly I think the aberdeen scene consists largely of what amounts to nothing more than samey unimaginative tribute acts' date=' more interested in being "in a band" and imitating pop groups, than artistic expression.[/quote']

Im afraid you really dont know your arse from your elbow pal. I have seen some amazing performances in aberdeen lately from original bands such as "my minds wepon" and "contra" neither of which you would say are "tribute bands".

Get a grip man.

I personally like any kind of music that gives me that feeling right at the bottom of my stomach' date=' that incontainable urge to throw yourself about, nod your head or punch a fist in the air. Black Atom gives me that feeling, it's my passion, and i dont really give a fuck if someone thinks it's outdated, or it's re-treading old ground or that we're just a 'tribute band'. Which is why most of the stuff in this thread has gone in one ear and out the other, i dont care... because i love what i do, playing music i have so much passion for on stage infront of like minded people, is possibly the greatest feeling in the world for me, whether there's 9 people there or 200, whether they like it or not, at the end of the day, i went on stage, i did what i love to do, i had fun and it's a massive bonus if anyone out there took it in and appreciated it.... And i know that any real band in this city will be able to stand up and say the exact same thing...[/quote']

this is the best post so far on this thread, am rethinking my original point because of this, still, reckon it must be slightly disheartening to perform to a small crowd, but your point is so true!

Guest Stripey
Im afraid you really dont know your arse from your elbow pal. I have seen some amazing performances in aberdeen lately from original bands such as "my minds wepon" and "contra" neither of which you would say are "tribute bands".

Get a grip man.

Considering the kind of stuff point of origin write, I don't think you are in any position to comment about what is original and meaningful.

Considering the kind of stuff point of origin write' date=' I don't think you are in any position to comment about what is original and meaningful.[/quote']

Spot on spotty. Our songs aren't written in darkly-lit bedrooms on computers while our mummies bring us hot cups of chocolate, so I guess we couldn't be as original and meaningful as you.

Bob

Guest Stripey
Spot on spotty. Our songs aren't written in darkly-lit bedrooms on computers while our mummies bring us hot cups of chocolate' date=' so I guess we couldn't be as original and meaningful as you.

Bob[/quote']

I'm far from spotty, and I own my own house. Cheap shots like that just reflect the childish nature of you and the uninspired music your band writes. Face facts, you are wannabe pop whores, not artists.