aberdeen-music

50p Guitar strings from ASDA?????

Runcie

I heard today that Asda are selling guitar strings for 50p a packet. I had a jaunty over to Garthdee tonight but I couldn't find them. Has anyone managed to pick up a pack? Are they totally bollocks?

Let me know cos I'm an affa cheap fucko.

Cheers!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the 24hr Asda yesterday and after reading this post, decided to have a quick look for the strings. Couldn't see any so I asked a guy who worked there if he know where the guitar strings were. He was stood infront of one of those cage/trolley things and reached out, picked up a packet and said ''I have these''. Even better, he was in the middle of reducing them! What are the chances! If you go upstairs and turn right. Head over towards the random toys/car accessories area and keep going to the very back wall. They are on one of the 'ends' in that general region.

For anyone interested, here's a picture of them from the manufacturer's website - the rrp is $15.99!! They come with what looks like a terrible plectrum too!

http://www.burswood.com.hk/upload/product/original/620239077018.jpg

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
They're clearly going to be awful, but hey, shit strings are better than no strings, right? or wrong...

Wrong, I would imagine, talking as a non-guitarist. Seems like they would sound wank. Unless you are going for some Sonic Youth style screwdrivers inserted under the strings to get a weird sound that means the string quality doesn't matter so much. I dunno.

It's a bit like saying that shit cymbals are better than no cymbals. That's also wrong, those cymbals you get with cheap drum kits just sound like you are banging a pan lid. Not even a good pan, like a cheap 3 pound one from Asda. You'd be better playing with no cymbals, like the Throwing Muses did.