aberdeen-music

Prince says the Internet's completely over

Graham Knight

Here are some quotes from an article in today's Telegraph.

Prince, the 52-year-old music icon has pronounced the internet dead, refusing to use any digital platforms to distribute his music.

By Emma Barnett, Technology and Digital Media Correspondent

Published: 10:30AM BST 06 Jul 2010

Prince also criticised the advent of gadgets and computers

Instead the artist has opted to release his latest album 20Ten in CD format only as a cover-mount free giveaway with The Daily Mirror this weekend.

Talking to The Mirror, Prince said: The internet is completely over. I dont see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They wont pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they cant get it.

Prince also criticised the advent of gadgets and computers: All these computers and digital gadgets are no good.

"They just fill your head with numbers and that cant be good for you.

Prince has taken his war against the internet one step further by shutting down his official website. His battle began in 2007 when he famously announced his intention to file lawsuits against eBay, YouTube and the Pirate Bay for the misuse of his music. Ever since he has banned such sites from using his music in any fashion and refused to work with legal paid-for options like iTunes, 7Digital or eMusic.

His new album is his 27th release and may be distributed via Warner Brothers in the US but there will be no downloads available in the world.

He certainly has some interesting views and his arrangement wih the Daily Mirror guarantees him a gold record but how many will be thrown away by non Prince fans?

Discuss.

Here are some quotes from an article in today's Telegraph.

Prince, the 52-year-old music icon has pronounced the internet dead, refusing to use any digital platforms to distribute his music.

By Emma Barnett, Technology and Digital Media Correspondent

Published: 10:30AM BST 06 Jul 2010

Prince also criticised the advent of gadgets and computers

Instead the artist has opted to release his latest album 20Ten in CD format only as a cover-mount free giveaway with The Daily Mirror this weekend.

Talking to The Mirror, Prince said: The internet is completely over. I dont see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They wont pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they cant get it.

Prince also criticised the advent of gadgets and computers: All these computers and digital gadgets are no good.

"They just fill your head with numbers and that cant be good for you.

Prince has taken his war against the internet one step further by shutting down his official website. His battle began in 2007 when he famously announced his intention to file lawsuits against eBay, YouTube and the Pirate Bay for the misuse of his music. Ever since he has banned such sites from using his music in any fashion and refused to work with legal paid-for options like iTunes, 7Digital or eMusic.

His new album is his 27th release and may be distributed via Warner Brothers in the US but there will be no downloads available in the world.

He certainly has some interesting views and his arrangement wih the Daily Mirror guarantees him a gold record but how many will be thrown away by non Prince fans?

Discuss.

I reckon I'll buy the paper (Daily Record in Scotland) for once to hear the new Prince Album

I used to be a HUGE Prince fan, but lets face facts, he hasn't made any decent new music since the early 90s.

I'll admit I bought the Daily Express to get his last album, but I hid it inside a copy of Asian Babes so it was less embarassing. It had one decent song on it about loving his guitar.

His comments about the internet being dead make me think he's on crack, but it's probably just a shrewd marketing move on his part to get more publicity. He probably gets loads more cash selling his records to the newspapers than he would through his invariably mediocre record sales these days.

I used to be a HUGE Prince fan, but lets face facts, he hasn't made any decent new music since the early 90s.

Me too, and it's true, sadly. I keep hoping though, so I'll probably buy it just in case he's decided to return to 1987 when he was arguably the best performer on the planet -

YouTube - Prince - It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night Live 1987

Not sure about the newspaper idea - obviously it's a certain bet for him, guaranteed sales and he makes his money all in one go. I can see the sense in it but it still just feels a bit wrong and un-artistic'. Didn't McFly do the same thing? At least he's realised that the old 'sign a recording contract, release an album, sell it in shops' method is all but gone and new strategies are needed.

As for the internet thing, I think he knows what he's doing. He has a habit of making these pronouncements to get in the papers. And if the papers got his CD on the front at the time, result. He's obviously hated record companies since the whole 'Slave' thing with Warners, and I reckon he sees iTunes et al as being just the same. I think he probably thinks the newspaper deal is just a way of him using them rather than record companies using him.

You can take the piss, but I'm at Prince's house right now posting from The Metaverse, which is better than the Internet.

Prince also has so much Ribena, it's unbelievable. You don't have to worry about spilling it because:

a) All his carpets are purple anyway

b) He's so short he just needs to bend his neck slightly to sook it up out of the carpet.

• Upvote 1

You can take the piss, but I'm at Prince's house right now posting from The Metaverse, which is better than the Internet.

Prince also has so much Ribena, it's unbelievable. You don't have to worry about spilling it because:

a) All his carpets are purple anyway

b) He's so short he just needs to bend his neck slightly to sook it up out of the carpet.

He's almost too wee...

YouTube - Whiskey and Brandy Bolland - Too wee