aberdeen-music

Leaded petrol in Iraq and British Bribes

What is particularly relevant/interesting about this story?

This is how business works.

i personally found it interesting, if you don't fine, move on. I am aware of at least a couple of people on this board who would find this article intersting like myself. I think it is a good thing to know about these things going on and your accersion that "this is how business works" where did you get this educated insight exactly?

He never said he found it interesting and I never said I didn't. Perhaps it was unintentionally implied but I'm mostly just unsure of what you're getting at.

All I wanted to know was what was particularly relevant or interesting about the story. Since you had simply posted a link without any comment I wasn't sure what specific thing I was supposed to be looking at or discussing.

I just don't happen to be shocked that a businessman would bribe someone in order to make a profit.

i posted the link so people could read it and make their own minds up, not to see my opinion, the title of the article says all i want to say. As i was not aware of this, i thought i would share. I am not particularly naive and know these things go on but i found it quite shocking. Another case of war profittering in Iraq no biggy

Guest Gladstone

I'm not "shocked" by the fact a businessman bribed someone either, but you make it sound as if it's something that is just common practice and happens all the time. It doesn't.

I reckon you're basing your argument on storylines from Hollywood.

And - yes, I did find it interesting. I wouldn't have posted it on a forum because I didn't find it amazingly interesting or anything, but it is interesting.

I'm not "shocked" by the fact a businessman bribed someone either, but you make it sound as if it's something that is just common practice and happens all the time. It doesn't.

In most of the world it does, but if we're talking about UK firms paying 7 figure bribes to foreign governments, then yeah hopefully not.

I reckon you're basing your argument on storylines from Hollywood.

I think it is common practice. Without bribes, backhanders and bungs you are limited in terms of what business you can do.

I'd go as far as to say that most big businesses involved in well known "corrupt" areas are involved in corruption themselves; especially in the oil, chemical, tobacco, mining and other big industries.

Didn't the British Government bribe a Saudi Sheikh at one point to buy our old fighters?