aberdeen-music

fave electronica artists

Guest Stripey

I like them too, they're pretty ace live. Although your right that it's not really cool to like them.

I always found that people's problem with them was that the WERE cool in a hipstery sort of way, which I guess made them uncool or something. Ultimately, I don't care. I've been listening to their album since launch day and I'm not bored of it. Not even a little. I grin like a maniac when they do that whole broken Nintendo thing.

Rabston: A friend of mine who has a breakcore project recommended Venetian Snares to me, but the only albums I've ever found by him have had covers that would get me put on the Sex Offenders Register. Again. It's a little off-putting, but I guess the internet is there to prevent me being beaten by record shop staff.

I like them too, they're pretty ace live. Although your right that it's not really cool to like them.

Personally I don't like them because they are thieving bastards:

baby art blog : crystal castles steal music

Broad term indeed - personally I took advantage of Warp's 20th anniversary deal on Bleep which had 2 albums by all the artists that were voted to be on the Warp 20 compilation for a tenner. Squarepusher, The Black Dog, Autechre, LFO, Plaid and Nightmares on Wax are all worth a mention. That fairly bumped up the collection anyway.

Jimmy Edgar is surprisingly great, although he looks like a bit of an art fag.

Guest Giles Walker
Stripey putting down folk who like Boards of Canada is just one reason why he was a tosspiece that isn't missed...

David Holmes was good for a few albums, still has some good stuff going on...his Free Association soundtrack for Code 46 is ace.

Hahaha this post pretty much sums up aberdeen music for me.

I think he was meaning we should be looking past the glaringly obvious stuff (like boards of canada and david holmes) and post stuff that is maybe lesser known.

What's the fun in coming here to read people posting about DJ Shadow, Aphex twin and other shit everybody and their uncle has already heard about a million times?

I also think the weird time capsule that this site is caught in puts a lot of potential posters off the idea of joining in on threads. Most of you guys sound like you didn't even know what was going on musically ten years ago, when you were probably in your mid 20s. Hence why an 'electronica' thread isn't laughed out of this place, like it would be on any other music forum.

And for the record i do actually miss Stripey.

So there.

Hahaha this post pretty much sums up aberdeen music for me.

I think he was meaning we should be looking past the glaringly obvious stuff (like boards of canada and david holmes) and post stuff that is maybe lesser known.

What's the fun in coming here to read people posting about DJ Shadow, Aphex twin and other shit everybody and their uncle has already heard about a million times?

I also think the weird time capsule that this site is caught in puts a lot of potential posters off the idea of joining in on threads. Most of you guys sound like you didn't even know what was going on musically ten years ago, when you were probably in your mid 20s. Hence why an 'electronica' thread isn't laughed out of this place, like it would be on any other music forum.

And for the record i do actually miss Stripey.

So there.

Electronic music (whatever terminology fits into your approval rating system) is not really my preferred genre, hence perhaps the stuff I do like just falls into obvious territory, but I'm certainly making no apologies for that. This was the problem with Stripey, rather than just try and educate and point folk in different directions to what he saw as the obvious, he just felt compelled to throw in disparaging comments, scorn and abuse towards individuals who didn't meet his narrow viewpoint, much as you just did.

No wonder you miss Stripey, you obviously had a soulmate there.

• Upvote 1

FFS, I'm going back to the dnb thread where you fucking spengs can't follow. badteeth.gif

Let's see how long it is before the comments on this thread crop up there "it's not underground enuff to be D n B ...nah at a mean" :D Booyaka

Guest Tam o' Shantie

can't believe that people are still talking about stripey to this day...have none of you guys ever used an internet forum before?

the guy took the piss out of almost everything, big deal. in the meantime, he actually had some interesting discussion for anyone into electronic music/technology/production.

can't believe that people are still talking about stripey to this day...have none of you guys ever used an internet forum before?

the guy took the piss out of almost everything, big deal. in the meantime, he actually had some interesting discussion for anyone into electronic music/technology/production.

Stripey was the originator of this thread which had appeared back in the recent posts, I read it from the beginning, hence he was mentioned. Why should you care?

He didn't just 'take the piss', for many folk he was needlessly abusive and talked down to everyone but those who were interested in the same things as him.

He did have some interesting things to post about but unfortunately the majority of his posts were abuse directed at folk who liked things he deemed unworthy, not just music but also films, comedy shows, etc, nothing was safe...hence he detracted too much from the positive stuff.

If you thought he was a good egg, that's up to you...as you say this is an internet forum, hence everyone has the right to discuss who or what they want....

Devilment... LOL. I regret bumping this thread, somewhat. even though there are some valuable suggestions in it, particularly Amon Tobin and Venetian Snares. But I'll push on. One particular gem from last year was:

Amon Tobin is one finger of two. I'm very impressed with this, it's a real grower. The imaginatively titled Two Fingers album is on Spotify if you'd like more.

This thread took a pretty gay cooler-than-thou/stripey nostalgia turn. As much as 'electronica' sounds pretty wank and vague, I don't really care about the intricacies of genre definition and am just gonna take this thread as meaning 'what non-guitar-driven music do you like?' is that ok?

well, recently...

YouTube - BIRDY NAM NAM - THE PARACHUTE ENDING - Video Clip by Willy Sweeney

(also Dj Food and all the other ninja tune folk that i've started listening to again after a long time)

This thread took a pretty gay cooler-than-thou/stripey nostalgia turn. As much as 'electronica' sounds pretty wank and vague, I don't really care about the intricacies of genre definition and am just gonna take this thread as meaning 'what non-guitar-driven music do you like?' is that ok?

well, recently...

YouTube - BIRDY NAM NAM - THE PARACHUTE ENDING - Video Clip by Willy Sweeney

(also Dj Food and all the other ninja tune folk that i've started listening to again after a long time)

Good call on Funki Porcini there - very chilled out stuff and great background music for late night endeavours.

9 Lazy 9 are also on Ninja Tune, definitely worth checking out:

Good call on Funki Porcini there - very chilled out stuff and great background music for late night endeavours.

9 Lazy 9 are also on Ninja Tune, definitely worth checking out:

Yep, used to get all the ninja tune compilations and never bothered to look into a lot of the individual artists' stuff untill fairly recently. Those compilations were ace.

I had a mad XXL ninja tune hoodie with 'YES MATE' in pseudo-oriental lettering on it. Thing went down to my knees but I still tried to figure out ways of wearing it because it was so rad.

I think that label epitomises 90s electronica without having to get in an argument. boh?

I had a mad XXL ninja tune hoodie with 'YES MATE' in pseudo-oriental lettering on it. Thing went down to my knees but I still tried to figure out ways of wearing it because it was so rad.

I think that label epitomises 90s electronica without having to get in an argument. boh?

I had a packet of DJ Kentaro skins... Beat that!

Correct, pertaining to ur second point.

Impressive. I can't rival you on DJ endorsed product. I do have a rekkerd signed by some DJ mans but that's a matter for the dnb thread.

Serious business.

There was a time in my life when DJ endorsed products, specifically those relating to cannibus and/or other illegal substances, were all that mattered to me.

Very serious business indeed.

Not really read the thread yet, but I'll list some stuff I'm into, dunno if its right for in the thread, but nevermind

Venetian Snares,

Boards of Canada,

Crystal Castles,

Fuck Buttons,

Aphex Twins,

Simian Mobile Disco,

Boys Noize,

Justice,

Pogo,

Sabrepulse,

Squarepusher,

Neon Indian,