aberdeen-music

fave electronica artists

Guest Stripey

really? i wouldn't have thought of the mighty chk chk chk as electronic. i always just regard them as a funk band. in the truest sense of the word' date=' except they use some electronic sounds as well. i know they got lumped in with the punk funk stuff but they're more than that, they're all about the groove. ah chk chk chk. how i love them so.[/quote']

I'd have never really thought so either until my copy had an "Electronic" sticker on it and they stack it under "Electronic" in Virgin on Oxford Street. I guess it doesn't really matter, more stuff gets lumped in as Electronic than it does Emo. Tut tut.

yeah i love Amorphous Androgynous...i was always a bit confused' date=' is that the name of the album by FSOL or a side project kind of thing?? Mountain Goat is beautiful............Aphex Twin Ambient Works album is also still a firm favourite of mine from the day i bought it till now...god thats over 10 years ago!!

sharon[/quote']

Amorphous Androgynous was the side project, 'Tales of Ephedrina' was the album, forgot to put that on my list, it has really good arabic bazzar samples from 'The Man who would be King' (Sean Connery and Michael Caine). A really good whole listening experience. as for the Twin, 'Ambient Works Vol 1' has to be his most complete coherent work. Ah, 'Ptolemy'

Also. Most of the Mo Wax output til 97ish (still looking for a copy of their seminal Jazz Hip Jap album- Japanese acid jazz hip hop stylee, got Krush on it and loads of ace bizarre stuff. if any one has it get in touch)

I'd have never really thought so either until my copy had an "Electronic" sticker on it and they stack it under "Electronic" in Virgin on Oxford Street. I guess it doesn't really matter' date=' more stuff gets lumped in as Electronic than it does Emo. Tut tut.[/quote']

that's probably 'cos their lp was put out by warp over here

and hmv were too lazy to listen to it

A few albums that haven't seen mentioned' date=' but are well worth looking out for:

Guy Called Gerald 'Black Secret Technology'

Brian Eno 'Thursday Afternoon'

LFO 'LFO'[/quote']

fuck yeah i forgot about LFO! They're second album is also worth checking out and A Guy Called Gerald was deffo one of the best electronica artists i've seen live (4 synths, two vocals, samplers and drum machines), in fact i shall dig out his automanikk album today!

LFO and TRICKY DISCO were probably the first electronic/dance artists i heard actually....thats when i was 17 and just getting into my rave (eek!) /dance era and going to Fever...in fact talking of Fever, did anyone else go there in the early 90's?!...hahaha 'yeah right, i wasnt even born' you all say!!! :rolleyes:

LFO and TRICKY DISCO were probably the first electronic/dance artists i heard actually....thats when i was 17 and just getting into my rave (eek!) /dance era and going to Fever...in fact talking of Fever' date=' did anyone else go there in the early 90's?!...hahaha 'yeah right, i wasnt even born' you all say!!! :rolleyes:[/quote']

sadly not, as I was ONLY INTO DEATH METAL...

how I laugh now, at how blinkered and ignorant I was...

but no, you can't tell a young person to think outside the box, they have to find that out themselves.

(ps, I still listen to death metal to date, but I also have other forms of music that make me happy now)

Guest Sundaram
LFO and TRICKY DISCO were probably the first electronic/dance artists i heard actually....thats when i was 17 and just getting into my rave (eek!) /dance era and going to Fever...in fact talking of Fever' date=' did anyone else go there in the early 90's?!...hahaha 'yeah right, i wasnt even born' you all say!!! :rolleyes:[/quote']

I went to the under 18's nights at Fever. I took my first tab of acid in there one evening... and then stayed away from my friends for two years.

• 5 years later...

They get a lot of shit, and both members are by all accounts arseholes, but I can't stop listening to their album. I love it and I'm sorry. No. I'm not sorry. I just love it. It's fast, distorted, glitchy, bassy, thick, sick, neighbour-annoying. It's the album all my years listening to punk, industrial, electroclash, house and indie were leading up to. It's the terminal record. What do I do now?

They get a lot of shit, and both members are by all accounts arseholes, but I can't stop listening to their album. I love it and I'm sorry. No. I'm not sorry. I just love it. It's fast, distorted, glitchy, bassy, thick, sick, neighbour-annoying. It's the album all my years listening to punk, industrial, electroclash, house and indie were leading up to. It's the terminal record. What do I do now?

I like them too, they're pretty ace live. Although your right that it's not really cool to like them.

Best Electronic Music

Can't believe no-one's mentioned the madness that is Venetian Snares, a different league from anything else - you can almost feel your brain adapt as you become familiar with his music, extremely prolific aswell with probably at least 20 albums, any newcomers should start with the Chocolate Wheelchair or My Downfall albums

Squarepusher's also on another level, probably one of the most stunning arrangers of music and a shit-hot bassist too - recommend Music Is Rotted One-Note, best electronic album of the 90's along with Boards Of Canada's Music Has The Right To Children (I won't hear a bad word said against them grrr lol, their music oozes beauty)

• Upvote 1