aberdeen-music

fave electronica artists

Guest Stripey

Hmm, quite a lot of choice eh

DJ Shadow- must be my all time favourite, the way he has developed over the 10 years, that 'You Can't Go Home Again' epic return, 'High Noon', both versions of 'In-Flux','Number Song', Depeche Mode remix (Painkiller),'Guns Blazing' on the UNKLE album, all the productions for Solesides and Quannum. Shadow is continually on top of his game,#1 by a margin.

Dillinja- always had the most subtle touch of the Junglist Dark Side, see 'The Angels Fell'

DJ Zinc-Many classics; Ganja Records, 'Super Sharp Shooters' his mix of 'Ready or Not that Hype got credited/blamed for, '138 Trek'

Orbital's 'Brown Album' especially the Lush/ReMind?Impact... section

St Etienne-1st 3 albums especially, and particularly 'So Tough'- I don't have to explain anything!!

One Dove- Scotlands Dub Maestro's

Optoplan- We were quite good for a few years.,

as for clubbier stuff, most of it I can't be arsed trying to find out what it is, leave that to my flatmate Mikey (DJ/Producer extraordinaire), but he has many mental records. Most of the best techno and house I've heard has either been at Kia Aura(sadly missed), or at parties.

think of more later.

Guest Stripey

Future Sound of London are my musical and ideological heroes, incredibly talented producers. Lifeforms, ISDN and Dead Cities being my favourite albums in experimental terms, there is nothing else quite like them around even though they were released around 10 years ago.

Neotropic (riz maslen) is a close 2nd, again an extremely talented producer with amazing ideas. "15 Levels of Magnification" is an incredible album oozing feeling, and the later "La Prochaine Fois" goes in a very different direction yet is equally spellbinding. She also produces under the name "small fish with spine".

Other awsome but less experimental favourites of mine include Dhzihan & Kamien, Badmarsh & Shri, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Theivery Corporation, Lemongrass, Sie, Visit Venus, Clifford Gilberto, and Sven Van Hees...

Personally when it comes to Boards of Canada, there are only 1 or 2 tracks which I like ("music is math" is the only one I can think of now), they are too much like the "shitty mobile fone advert soundtrack made up of mangled DTMF tones" style of electronica for my liking.

Not a big fan of musical classifications so I'm probably going to mention a lot of artists that don't count as being "electronica" to some people, but what the hell.

In addition to DJ Shadow, UNKLE and Boards of Canada (all of who I like lots) I've been recently listening to Plaid, Telefon Tel Aviv, some of Autechre, Tweaker, Four Tet, and Clint Mansell.

Can't say I listen to anything I'd count as experimental to be honest.

aphex twin, prefuse 73, boards of canada(i can't help feeling you said it's unimaginative just cause you don't like it), some squarepusher stuff, ummm, i like lots of ambient stuff too like the yoshimi album that came out last year. it was lovely. ulrich schnauss - far away trains passing by. some stuff on leaf records too. but to be honest i haven't listened to enough. just as i was getting into electronica stuff they moved it all downstairs in our shop and out of my radar range.

Guest Stripey
aphex twin' date=' prefuse 73, boards of canada(i can't help feeling you said it's unimaginative just cause you don't like it), some squarepusher stuff, ummm, i like lots of ambient stuff too like the yoshimi album that came out last year. it was lovely. ulrich schnauss - far away trains passing by. some stuff on leaf records too. but to be honest i haven't listened to enough. just as i was getting into electronica stuff they moved it all downstairs in our shop and out of my radar range.[/quote']

Ah I mean't unimaginative as in, BoC tends to be the first name people come out with when you mention electronica :p I haven't heard yoshimi or ulrich schnauss, I'll have to check em out.

see i always thought electronica was people like fischerspooner, felix da house cat lady tron etc (only know my mainstream) but obviously im wrong there for sure, cause i wouold respect the fact that stripey knows his stuff.

i always thought people like kid koala, kid 606, boards of canada were IDM. but i guess theres sub genres and IDM is one under electronica... anyway i really shouldn't embarras myself any longer in the subject.

i'd say geogaddi is my favourite boards canada LP out of the two i have. I found 'music has the right to children' was much more beat orientated still really good, but im much more into interesting synth and sample sounds hence why i enjoy geogaddi, i'd like to get some aphex twin don't really know much of the stuff im sure dave can sort me out on that score.

and i'd agree with some squarepusher is quite nice, but also really interesting.

Guest Stripey
Broadway Project' date=' Cinematic Orchestra, Lamb, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation (the Mirror Conspiracy is one of the best albums I own), Four Tet & St Germain.[/quote']

cinematic orchestra are really good.

p.s does your band have a website?

Guest Stripey
...ulrich schnauss - far away trains passing by...

I just checked that out, some of it's alright but it's a bit sonically bland and neutral. I think a lot of "electronica" like this suffers from the tv advert soundtrack/elevator music syndrome.

I just checked that out' date=' some of it's alright but it's a bit sonically bland and neutral. I think a lot of "electronica" like this suffers from the tv advert soundtrack/elevator music syndrome.[/quote']

you suffer from tv-advert-soundtrack/elevator-music-syndrome

Guest Stripey
you suffer from tv-advert-soundtrack/elevator-music-syndrome

Go and buy or download the albums Future Sound of London - Lifeforms, and Neotropic - 15 Levels of Magnification, asap plz k thx.

Guest MixTape
Go and buy or download the albums Future Sound of London - Lifeforms' date=' and Neotropic - 15 Levels of Magnification, asap plz k thx.[/quote']

Why? Please tell.

I just dip in and out, so am prepared to be slagged off.......I've obvious stuff like Aphex Twin etc....used to have a few FSOL albums, but sold most and only have ISDN now(black velcro cover). Also like Autechre, Mu-sic (can't do the squiggle thing), and easy-listening things like Ultramarine, Tonto's Expanding Headband etc. More experimentally I like Trevor Wishart, Tim Souster, White Noise, Toop & Eastley.