aberdeen-music

Insuring Music Equipment

Kai

I think this is why I don't like taking my expensive gear to gigs now (well the few that we play).

The other reason is that I can't play worth a shit!

I know what you're saying, but at the same time I tend to take the view that there's no point having nice gear and then being scared to play it.

If you've got nice gear, then I fully agree, it's ridiculous not to use it.

That said, if the best a venue can offer me in terms of securing that nice gear, is to leave it somewhere that is a thief's paradise, then leaving it there IS a personal choice.

Leaving a venue for as long as it takes to get your gear under lock and key before/after you've played is not bad form....that's called looking after your property, and if another band can't understand that, then THAT'S bad form. There's nobody stopping you from returning to the venue after you've got it safely locked in your car/van/house if you feel bad about not checking out the other bands.

Also, if you're playing at e.g. the Moorings and don't want to leave you car at the harbour....then don't. There's plenty safe, well lit parking places in town that are within a few minutes walk of the harbour. Same applies to other venues in less salubrious parts of town.

And if all this is still too much hassle, then I just don't think it's realistic to expect an insurance company, in return for the approx. 150/yr premium you might cough up each year, to pay you in full for thousands worth of gear regardless of how easy you might have made it for that gear to be stolen. The policy holder always has to carry some of the responsibility.

I know what you're saying, but at the same time I tend to take the view that there's no point having nice gear and then being scared to play it.

Haha, I'm not scared to play it....I just can't play it very well. So I would rather be seen to play a cheap guitar in a manner that could be discribed as average at best, instead of looking as though I've got "more money than sense" and play a very good guitar poorly. I'm not sure that makes sense. I thinkn that's why an a great believer in finding a cheapish guitar you like, and get it set up nice and decent pickups fitted. I can always heard saying "it make very little difference in a live band situation" I get a lot of verbal (and web) abuse for saying that, but that's what I think. Just because someone "feels" better playing their vintage Les Paul or Strat or whatever does not mean it sounds better.

Haha, I'm not scared to play it....I just can't play it very well. So I would rather be seen to play a cheap guitar in a manner that could be discribed as average at best, instead of looking as though I've got "more money than sense" and play a very good guitar poorly. I'm not sure that makes sense. I thinkn that's why an a great believer in finding a cheapish guitar you like, and get it set up nice and decent pickups fitted. I can always heard saying "it make very little difference in a live band situation" I get a lot of verbal (and web) abuse for saying that, but that's what I think. Just because someone "feels" better playing their vintage Les Paul or Strat or whatever does not mean it sounds better.

Agree with almost everything you say. Agree that cheap guitars with upgraded pickups can be very good and also that by the time you have drums behind you and are going through a PA you won't really pick up the subtle nuances.

Where I disagree is caring about whether people think I have more money than sense. Fuck them. I'm pretty crap at guitar, and I know it. Do I give if a fuck if someone thinks I should be playing a cheaper guitar because I can't do widdly stuff? No I fucking don't. It's my money and if I want to blow it on expensive guitars, that's my fucking business.

So I'll keep playing both my cheap AND expensive guitars poorly thank you very much. :up:

Agree with almost everything you say. Agree that cheap guitars with upgraded pickups can be very good and also that by the time you have drums behind you and are going through a PA you won't really pick up the subtle nuances.

Where I disagree is caring about whether people think I have more money than sense. Fuck them. I'm pretty crap at guitar, and I know it. Do I give if a fuck if someone thinks I should be playing a cheaper guitar because I can't do widdly stuff? No I fucking don't. It's my money and if I want to blow it on expensive guitars, that's my fucking business.

So I'll keep playing both my cheap AND expensive guitars poorly thank you very much. :up:

ha-ha! I'm glad someone agrees with the cheap guitar thing. In the house or on a recording I agree with playing the best you've got as it will shine through, but live....nah!!

Well, you should gee yer mucker your expensive guitars Bri and i'll buy you ony guitar yeh like fae argos in return and i'll even throw in a set o decent pick ups o yer choice hahaha.

Nah i agree with Bigsby, most people have hobbies if its football golf or playing guitar, most of us work hard for our dough so why the fuck nae spend it on what we like?

People will bitch if your amazing or average so do what makes you happy!

Ayaaah jist broke ma ankle falling off me soap box!!!!!!!!!

Well, you should gee yer mucker your expensive guitars Bri and i'll buy you ony guitar yeh like fae argos in return and i'll even throw in a set o decent pick ups o yer choice hahaha.

Nah i agree with Bigsby, most people have hobbies if its football golf or playing guitar, most of us work hard for our dough so why the fuck nae spend it on what we like?

People will bitch if your amazing or average so do what makes you happy!

Ayaaah jist broke ma ankle falling off me soap box!!!!!!!!!

Aye Al, what a mucker you are. What have I done to deserve such a nice bloke as you as a friend. Once I've finished my cruise down the Clyde on MV BaNana, I've give you a shout to come and pick them up. you better take a van coz you'll surely be kind enough to take my amps as well...if it's not too much bother that it:)

I suppose the theory regarding "spend it on what we like" extends to all sorts of stuff. Fast cars, bikes, hi-fi etc etc. I find this especialy true of motorcycles. Guy will buy a new GSXR 1000 and tune it for more speed, and uprate the shocks etc etc, when in truth the average modern superbike will out perform most people. But I suppose, it's a case of you don't need to drive fast, just because you own a fast bike. Which brings me back to good guitars and the ability to play well.