aberdeen-music

Production/DIY opinions/feedback

Volta

Hi folks,

Ok this one is probably for any producers and DIY musicians. But also for anyone who's interested.

Firstly I was wondering if anyone could provide feedback/opinions on a couple of recordings? Four to choose from at Colin McDonald on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads. These were done on a zoom 8-track stand alone recorder. Extremely pleased with the results. The main thing I think could be improved is the brightness of the recordings. Should they be sent to a pro mastering service for this purpose? Or could you research and invest in the equipment that would allow you to do this better yourself? There is a mastering option on the 8-track but it still doesn't do it. I know they can be improved but by how much and is it worth the investment? I guess I should just fire one over and see the impoved results. I've spent quite a lot of time learning the production side of things but don't have access to a professional studio. I'm also very much of the 'quality and creativity is key' school of thought as opposed to the 'you need to spend money on professional/equipment' school of thought.(as I'm sure most musicians and producers are) I'm also curious to know what are the minumim requirements for quality of recording for licencing your songs to films/tv ect? As in, there must be no audible distortion, no audible clicks, ect ect. Is this something where everything can be acheived by a DIY artist or if not what services MUST be provided by a third party?

Any related thoughts and opinions much appreciated...

Regards

Colin Mc

Guest droid

I went to your myspace,but the player isn't loading.I personally use Logic 9 and a mac,Logic has a mastering option and i have had finished tunes played on radio and in clubs.The mixes sounded great but i will still get the tunes professionally mastered when i finish my album.

Nothing must be provided by a third party if it sounds great/good enough, can't check the stuff without d/l link, but rely on your own ears, and selected opinions from trustworthy sources. The netz, and this goes quadruple for myspace, is full of people telling you that they are the missing link in your success, and if you go with them they can master/promote/hype/fellate you all the way to the top. This is patently untrue in 99% of cases (mad clickzz, get 10000 friends a day etc). If going to an outside masterer etc, get some personal recommendations from those that have used the service at least.

Thanks for the reply guys. Not sure why the player didn't load for you droid. Seems to be working ok when I go on. I know what you mean PVM. It's a disgrace how some folks will try and make money off of naivety. Also things like "send me your tune and I'll give you advice on how to write it better only 30 per tune". It really grates me. Here's a thought the more tunes you write the better they'll get. Aint rocket science.