aberdeen-music

Valve Head Shopping time...

Hola,

I am currently looking to replace my Marshall AVT50H half stack with a decent cab and a valve head.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the Marshall MA50H head? has anyone played one etc..

I am really looking for 50 watts max.

I play sludge, hardcore sorta stuff..... usually play through pedals...

any advice would be grand!

Hola,

I am currently looking to replace my Marshall AVT50H half stack with a decent cab and a valve head.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the Marshall MA50H head? has anyone played one etc..

I am really looking for 50 watts max.

I play sludge, hardcore sorta stuff..... usually play through pedals...

any advice would be grand!

The MA series from Marshall is - in my HONEST opinion - the worst valve head I have EVER heard. They are pitiful. If still inclined to buy one after trying (R&B have one in) then I don't think I could ever seriously offer you advice ever again. :laughing:

The MA series from Marshall is - in my HONEST opinion - the worst valve head I have EVER heard. They are pitiful. If still inclined to buy one after trying (R&B have one in) then I don't think I could ever seriously offer you advice ever again. :laughing:

I shall always take your advice, so lets scratch that there Marshall MA off my list.

jcm2000 ain't that great for that kind of stuff Jay (I am assuming it is Jay)

Orange is worth the investment if you can. I used Scotts Orange Rockverb 50 last night and it is absolutely outstanding for the money 1k (finance it?). It was fat, full of sustain, bright and and has the perfect compression for sludgey stuff. Speak to him about it, seriously amazing. You wouldn't have to buy another amp again.

A Matamp is obviously an amazing purchase too

Yeah it is Jay,

Yeah I was going to look at going down the finance route. I really want to make the perfect choice first time, as I do not plan on buying another amp again. I really do like the sound of the Orange Rockerverb 50.

I notice more and more bands are using Orange now so they must be doing something right.

got recommended a Peavey 6505 as well, but not sure about them for the sorta sound I am looking for?? thoughts?

jcm2000 ain't that great for that kind of stuff Jay (I am assuming it is Jay)

Orange is worth the investment if you can. I used Scotts Orange Rockverb 50 last night and it is absolutely outstanding for the money 1k (finance it?). It was fat, full of sustain, bright and and has the perfect compression for sludgey stuff. Speak to him about it, seriously amazing. You wouldn't have to buy another amp again.

A Matamp is obviously an amazing purchase too

id say if your gonna spend alot of money on a decent amp get something thats versatile as you dont want to end up with a 1 trick pony and find in a couple of years you need another amp for another sound. id say try out a few pedal friendly amps as the sound your after could probably be gotten with the help of a pedal through most amps, or just look up band with the sound your after and see what gear their using

Yeah, the Randall is 120W solid state. It just sounds awesome though (and I'm not usually a fan of solid states the same).

Join up on the forum at Dean Guitars - The Finest Guitars in the World and keep an eye out there. That's how I found the Randall for sale (there is a Dimebag section that discusses his gear and so when stuff comes up for sale it appears there!).

:)

I used to have a Carvin 50watt head, that I stupidly sold. They go for quite cheap on ebay and the like, but they come quite close to the JCM800 sound. That big dirty sound with loads of presence and boom. I'd definitely swap the amp I have now for a Carvin again.

I wouldn't recommend a JCM DSL50 unless you're willing to spend a bit of money on it. The PCB's are very prone to melting, because they are made with cheap parts. I had to have mine completely rewired which cost a bomb. I should have just binned it. The hand-wired circuitry and modifications made it come back sounding better than ever though. More bottom end and presence. Out of the factory, they are fizzy as fuck.

I wouldn't recommend a JCM DSL50 unless you're willing to spend a bit of money on it. The PCB's are very prone to melting, because they are made with cheap parts. I had to have mine completely rewired which cost a bomb. I should have just binned it. The hand-wired circuitry and modifications made it come back sounding better than ever though. More bottom end and presence. Out of the factory, they are fizzy as fuck.

Hmmm! I've had my one for a few years and it's not let me down once. It likes pedals (well not my Hot Cake for lead) I think DSL50's are good amps....better than TSL IMO.

I had a DSL50, and I thought it was utter arse water for pretty much everything; screeching upper mids that can't be dialled out, thin, fizzy drive channel. I know several people on here own them and love them, but I had to sell mine as quickly as possible.

My case is a prime example of rushing into buying something before you've really shopped round; I think it's a wise move to wait it out for a while until a total bargain comes along, or you can afford to buy something you really want. If you want a MATAMP then save, you won't be disappointed no matter what you pay.

I personally prefer the DSL50 to the JCM900's due to having a bit more about them. I agree that the DSL50 has a pretty crap drive channel though. Mine is a fair bit better due to having it modded, but I still rarely use it. The clean channel is very nice, both on the clean and the crunch. I stick to that, and a few distortion pedals.

I guess one of the other reasons I don't use both channels is because when you step on the footswitch, it seems to take about half a second to switch, with a block of silence inbetween. Ungood.

I guess one of the other reasons I don't use both channels is because when you step on the footswitch, it seems to take about half a second to switch, with a block of silence inbetween. Ungood.

Yeah! That used to piss me off as well. What fucking use is that? Cheers Marshall, I've just forked out a bunch of dough for this amp and it doesn't even allow me to actually make use of its twin channel versatility in a live setting; their marketing department must have their work cut out for them these days.

I'm not much of a fan of 900s either, but I love the 2203 800s and '70s JMPs.

Yeah! That used to piss me off as well. What fucking use is that? Cheers Marshall, I've just forked out a bunch of dough for this amp and it doesn't even allow me to actually make use of its twin channel versatility in a live setting; their marketing department must have their work cut out for them these days.

I'm not much of a fan of 900s either, but I love the 2203 800s and '70s JMPs.

I have a 50 SLX which I think is quite good, but it's a touch "heavy" for me. JMP's are cool:up: