aberdeen-music

MC Mad Mickey

Guest dopethrone

So, I was browsing YouTube when I saw this:

Discuss.

He (you) needs to learn to rap in time with the music. And to learn that there's more to rapping than just talking in monotone over a backing track. This is really, really, really bad. And someone ought to advise him that there already is a hip-hop album called "Life After Death" by a little known rapper out of Brooklyn, New York called Notorious B.I.G.

I have no problem with people rapping in their local accent, you don't have to be American and grow up in the hood to be a rapper, as long as what you're doing is good, but this guy? His accent flits between American and Scottish, his rhymes are seriously weak and he has absolutely no rythym. And he isn't a pimp, he's blatantly just fronting. He's like 50 Cent, but even worse.

Fail on an absolutely epic level.

Anyway, go on admit it it's you isn't it.

Guest droid

That shizzle isnae tha bizzle it's f*****g drizzle,what a c**t!So cringe worthy i had to switch it off.Dude in his Asda George garments going on about Hennesy and penitentiary.....please!More like gimp!

Why not rap about something that they are familliar with?

Most Aberdeen folks ive seen that are in to this shit do nothing but drive arounnd in "pimped out" '95 corsas with stupid exausts on a Friday doing "lappies" of Windmill Brae and Bridge Street night looking to pick up any unlucky underage "birds" who didnt quite look old enough to get in to Liquid.

Almost makes me feel embarrassed to say im from the deen.

Guest dopethrone
He (you) needs to learn to rap in time with the music.

Anyway, go on admit it it's you isn't it.

Not in the slightest. I was linked the video by a friend. Wasn't sure how to 'sell' it to aberdeen-music so just made it as plain as possible.

100% not me.

That does sound terrible though.

Ya think? Compared to MC Mad Mickey it sounds like heaven. At least those guys have a bit of passion and feeling in their voices, rather than just droning shite about being a pimp over a generic backing track and throwing out 80s B-boy stances. You should see the one where's he's sitting on a sofa in night vision with loads of gold chains on trying to be Eminem. Oh. My. God.

YouTube - mc mad mickey

Like someone above said, rap about what you know about, stop pretending to be a gangster.

Ya think? Compared to MC Mad Mickey it sounds like heaven. At least those guys have a bit of passion and feeling in their voices, rather than just droning shite about being a pimp over a generic backing track and throwing out 80s B-boy stances.

Having passion in your music doesn't improve its quality I'm afraid. They can write lyrics for certain, but rapping outside the block of flats near Seaton with an Aberdonian accent makes it hard to take seriously.

Not true. What about London hip-hop? That sounds ace. And Hilltop Hoods. They rap with their Australian accents and it really works.
To be honest, I don't listen to much hip hop. Pretty much Wu-Tang Clan, Cannibal OX and EL-P.

But I have honestly never heard any scottish stuff that sounds...correct. Or genuine. Whenever I hear someone doing it in a scottish accent, it ALWAYS sounds like they're trying extra hard to sound Scottish, like Mel Gibson in braveheart or something.

Ol'Dirty Bastard. He barely had an accent, and a lot of people probably couldn't understand what the fuck he was saying, but fuck me he could rap. Legend.

Having passion in your music doesn't improve its quality I'm afraid. They can write lyrics for certain, but rapping outside the block of flats near Seaton with an Aberdonian accent makes it hard to take seriously.

I disagree. I think a large part of hip-hop is about the attitude and the love for hip hop, and also about (sorry to use a terrible rap cliche) being "real". It shouldn't matter where you're from and what your accent is, if you love hip hop and you want to do hip hop, then do hip hop. Just don't make shit up and pretend to be some kind of gangster, bustin' out a livin' on the mean streets of Aberdeen. At least the other lot are rapping about stuff that's real to them and real issues they have, not like MC Mad Mick-ee. Of course talent comes into it as well, you can be as real as you like, but if you can't rap or write rhymes then don't do it. Like Asher Roth.

Just my opinion like, for what it's worth.

EDIT - Also, just repeating your name over and over again isn't rapping.