aberdeen-music

Second hand tube amps?

EnkaiScreamer

All my amps have been bought second (or third/fourth etc) hand and I've not had any issues. You might be unlucky and get a problem, but that's part and parcel of buying used gear.

As for amps, save up. 200 will not get you anywhere near to a good valve amp. If you can make do with what you've got just now, keep playing it and buy something worthwhile. Don't just splash 200 on something that you'll be wanting to upgrade in 12months time.

Second hand Marshall's are likely your best bet, DSL50 and JCM900 SL-X's are great amps. Stay away from the JCM900 Dual Reverbs though, not as good. The TSL's are pretty horrible also.

They've just brought out a 6505 combo, might be something to consider

i bought my marshall tsl 100 second hand about a year ago, and it's definitely been a better option than buying new. it's in need of a service at the moment, but even if i'd bought one new it would be needing a new set of tubes soon anyway.

the only thing i can advise is that you definitely don't need 100 watts. the tsl has a switch which changes the wattage from 100w to 25w, and even at 25w i still can't run it at much more than half. i know ross said earlier in the thread that you'd need a more powerful amp for DIY shows etc, but from personal experience this definitely isn't the case. i'd also advise saving up for a really good head, because otherwise you're going to want to upgrade in a year or so and end up paying more in the long run anyway. you could put the money you'll save towards getting a good cab or a set of v30's for the one you're running (:

I would definately save for the right head not just the cheapest. I used to play with a dude who bought a valve ashdown guitar head for 260 and 4 months later bought a Marshall dsl 50 to replace it. You can get a good dsl 50 for 350 if you look around and there great amps. I own a 1800 pound bogner head and still have my dsl 50 because it's a fantastic amp. I have played many shows with it and never had it past half way on the volume . I would avoid the valve king for metal, it's a blues amp and as such has a rad clean channel but at higher gain settings it feeds back uncontrolably. I also owned one of those. I would go for a head instead of a combo as well as they are much more practical. A good cab makes a huge difference too.

Frazers hiwatt is good sounding for the money as well.

Best advice is to get a second hand dsl 50 and either an ibz tube screamer or a Maxon od 808

that set up can do great cleans crunches a high gains.

Hope this was some help

yeh good suggestions, ive been looking at marshals and they are all about 350+ on ebay but valve etc, my amp right now is 75 watts and it not too loud for home use but is a beast live, but the tone with a line 6....:( unhappy

and i would rather a head purely because i like my cab and dont really need any other speakers with an amp, i know folk arent keen on bugera but the cab is solid built and has worked with other things so its okay :) i might upgrade the speakers in due time

i bought my marshall tsl 100 second hand about a year ago, and it's definitely been a better option than buying new. it's in need of a service at the moment, but even if i'd bought one new it would be needing a new set of tubes soon anyway.

the only thing i can advise is that you definitely don't need 100 watts. the tsl has a switch which changes the wattage from 100w to 25w, and even at 25w i still can't run it at much more than half. i know ross said earlier in the thread that you'd need a more powerful amp for DIY shows etc, but from personal experience this definitely isn't the case. i'd also advise saving up for a really good head, because otherwise you're going to want to upgrade in a year or so and end up paying more in the long run anyway. you could put the money you'll save towards getting a good cab or a set of v30's for the one you're running (:

As i said earlier in the thread "you rarely need more than 100 watts"

Finlay is right - save up and buy something decent so you dont have to replace later on.

You just cant beat a good valve marshall.

Lots of gain - but retains clarity.

Used my DSL in the studio too and its a great amp to record with.

I do wish id bought the 50 watts - but when playing live i tend to just crank it anyways - but its never usually louder than 4 - 5.

Marshalls are fairly reliable too. The 6505 used to always cut out or fuse after prolonged use.

If i had the cash, id buy another DSL as a back-up because they are amazin!

yeh good suggestions, ive been looking at marshals and they are all about 350+ on ebay but valve etc, my amp right now is 75 watts and it not too loud for home use but is a beast live, but the tone with a line 6....:( unhappy

and i would rather a head purely because i like my cab and dont really need any other speakers with an amp, i know folk arent keen on bugera but the cab is solid built and has worked with other things so its okay :) i might upgrade the speakers in due time

You'll have to bare in mind that a valve amp will be too loud for home use, and don't sound good at low volumes, as the valves aren't hot enough. You can get amps modded to have a master volume built in, so you can drive the valves but not the volume. Or you can buy a hotplate, but that still might be too loud for home use.

You'll have to bare in mind that a valve amp will be too loud for home use, and don't sound good at low volumes, as the valves aren't hot enough. You can get ams modded to have a master volume built in, so you can drive the valves but not the volume. Or you can buy a hotplate, but that still might be too loud for home use.

yeh man, i probably wouldnt use it for home use, my mate has a 6505 head+orange cab and its MEGA loud even lower than 1 so i doubt it:L

I've played with a moderately loud drummer with my 15W Fender Super Champ 1x10" combo only turned up to 3.5 - 4. Never had to use it in place of a PA though. They go for around 200 and I replaced the stock speaker with a Eminence Rajun Cajun at the cost of about 50 and the difference is particularly notable at higher volumes.

I know it's only 5W but this amp Blackheart BH5H Little Giant 5 Watt Electric Guitar Valve Head Amplifier

Or as a 'mini stack'

BlackHeart Little Giant Half Stack, - Online Music Store | Sounds Live

Disclaimer: I have no direct experience with that amp.

I also reckon that some of the big valve amps still sound better at bedroom volumes than most budget solid state amps will. Obviously, the ones that blast you when turned to '1' are no good for that but some have more sensible dials. I also like my clean sounds to be super clean so not really interested in driving the valves that hard but obviously they will never sound their best at the very lowest volumes.