aberdeen-music

Second hand tube amps?

EnkaiScreamer

Yes. Second hand is often a better option than buying new. New prices are astronomical at times, and as long as the amp has been taken care of and serviced regularly, then opting for second hand stuff is often the best option.

Ebay is the obvious place to look for second hand amps, or the Trading post on here. Gumtree is fairly rubbish good amps in Aberdeen, so unless you're willing to travel to pick up, or arrange couriers, stick to Ebay.

If your budget is limited, then save up. Good tone doesn't come cheap. You can bargain hunt and strike lucky sometimes, but don't rely on it. Save, and buy something worthwhile that will keep its value.

Many second hand bargain's to be had, but, be prepared to "Maintain" your tube amp, at least once a year, New Tubes & a checkover.

This sometimes puts people off, coz they can be tempramental.

Also, type's vary, big Clean sound, (work great with pedals in front)

IE: Fender / Hiwatt /Carlsbro. Or lots of Gain / Distortion, IE: Marshall /Peavey / Cornford / Mesa.

It is totally fine to buy a second hand valve amp. As long as you know what to look for to check it's alright and know if it has been looked after etc.

I bought my ENGL E670 SE EL34 (what a mouthful :laughing: ) second hand from a guy in Texas. I researched back his previous posts on the forum it was advertised on to see what he was like with his gear/what he had done to it and such!

The benefit of the ENGL though was that I could change the pin layout on the transformer to change it from 110V to 230V, this isn't an option on many amps so buying from the USA may not be the best idea for you (unless you buy a step down transformer to go with it).

If looking in the UK 2nd hand, check all the usual online places (GAK, Dolphin Music etc.) for offers, check eBay, Scot-Ads. Those sort of places. Also scour music dedicated forums (ESP guitars, BC Rich, Dean, this forum, other "music scene" forums etc.) and you'll probably find musicians trying to sell/trade.

:)

yeh im, looking for a head, about 100 watts, for metal but with clean,

im stuck with my line 6 spider 3 head right now and its not bad but i desperately need to upgrade since im playing live a lot.

Yeh it was more the maintanence side of things i would be wary about, the amps background etc...

thanks for the help guys :)

50W all valve is certainly more than enough.

I used to run a Mesa Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb II combo and that was only 50W and it only went up to about 4 on both channel and master volume for gigging and was plenty. :)

Yep - that very amp cracked the plaster on my ceiling at "3" :up:

30w - 50w is mucha-plenty for most venues.

im not really looking for combos because ive got the 200w 4x12 cabinet at home and im used to just taking my head to practise and to gigs so its easier to use

Don't rule out combos as a lot of them have speaker outs so you could easily connect one to your cab and you would also have the benefit of a smaller amp for more intimate venues.

ah good point! i was in rnb today trying out a nice line 6 bogner combo, only 40 watts but WOW it was nice! and i hardly ever lug my 4x12 around :L

okay yeh im actually interested in a nice combo also, i had a look at a nice laney which was mentioned on here but anymore ideas/offers

my budget is around 200 :)

You'll struggle to get anything worthwhile for 200. You might strike it lucky with an eBay bargain, but the going rate for a reasonable valve amp will be at least around 100 more.

Seriously. Saving up is the best advice. Otherwise you'll be spending your entire budget and something that just won't cut it.