aberdeen-music

Sleeping patterns

Nev

I remember somebody telling me sleep works best in blocks of, IIRC, 3 hours. Anyone else heard this? I think the gist was if you sleep for 3 hours (or any multiple thereof) it's optimal for your body.

Has anyone else heard this/know the theory behind it?

I'm pretty sure that it is more like your deep sleep periods last about that time followed by a similar period of lighter sleep. Everything still poijnts to about 8 hours being the best period to sleep for but I haven't managed 8 hours straight sleep for years.

Apparently the optimal powernap period is 20 minutes...any longer or shorter just doesn't do the trick...trying to fall asleep for that amount of time only is nigh on impossible, i've tried setting an alarm giving an initial 10 minutes to fall asleep and end up still being awake when the alarm goes. I always feel shite after a power nap, especially if is following a few afternoon beers and it's intended as a recharge, I just wake up with a horrible half-hangover that takes ages to shift.

Yeah, I remember reading about that a while back, your body drifts in and out of deep sleep...I think there are 3-4 'levels' which you experience following REM. Not sure of all the details though...although I have a feeling it's more like 2hr cycles, which don't properly commence until after around 20-30 mins.

Personally, it usually takes me at least 1hr in bed (usually more, and sometimes 2-3) to fall asleep, been that way as long as I can remember, unless I'm drunk...music helps a lot, thoughts go buzzing around in my head if I sit there in silence! I am very active and do exercise, it just takes me ages to switch off, but then I can sleep for far more than 8hrs if I have nothing to get up for! Fairly frustrating really...