aberdeen-music

Solid state hard drives

FatHand

I'm just getting ready to buy a Macbook Pro and looking into the differences between solid state hard drives and serial ATA drives. It seems like the price doesn't warrent the benefits, anybody disagree with this? For a 512 GB SSD your looking at an increase of something like 1200 to the price of an already pricey laptop.

Any thoughts?

I'm just getting ready to buy a Macbook Pro and looking into the differences between solid state hard drives and serial ATA drives. It seems like the price doesn't warrent the benefits, anybody disagree with this? For a 512 GB SSD your looking at an increase of something like 1200 to the price of an already pricey laptop.

Any thoughts?

Ouch. Depends how portable you want to be I suppose. You could always get a smaller SSD and keep your files on an external drive.

SSD would be nice though as 5400rpm drives are cack.

SSDs that are commonly sold right now tend to be of poorer quality compared to their higher spec/more expensive business-sold counterparts, meaning that the technology is far from reaching its full potential yet and ridiculously overpriced compared to a regular hard disk which will hold much, much more.

Unless you have an actual need for MacOS/apps to be loaded from disk as fast as possible then I would strongly advise against them for the time being. The cons definitely outweigh the pros at this point in time if you have a large collection of data needing stored.

Any thoughts?

Col....I got a Macbook Pro earlier in the year with a 7200rpm SATA drive. It's perfectly adequate. Don't bother with solid-state. The price/benefit ratio doesn't stack up at all.

Generally speaking, the Mac seems more performant than a Windows machine and manages I/O much better...which further lessens the argument for getting SSD anyway.

I actually don't even know why you would even consider that amount of money as justifiable! Its so easy to get sucked in though. I guess if it's easy enough to replace the hard drive you can put in a SSD once the price comes down, I think the lack of moving parts is probably the biggest benefit.

Anyone got suggestions on firewire mixers? Lets say the budget is 500 - 800.

Guest droid
I actually don't even know why you would even consider that amount of money as justifiable! Its so easy to get sucked in though. I guess if it's easy enough to replace the hard drive you can put in a SSD once the price comes down, I think the lack of moving parts is probably the biggest benefit.

Anyone got suggestions on firewire mixers? Lets say the budget is 500 - 800.

Storage : Glyph Technologies PortaGig Professional Portable Hard Drive

As for hard drives,these are pretty cool.You will need an external drive to run your audio reliably.I assign the faders and controls from my Akai MPK49 to control the mixer in Logic,the Akai has 2 banks of 8 faders,transport function,drum pads and an arpeggiator