aberdeen-music

Stuart Cable Dead

delboy

Wow that's a bit of a surprise. I always liked him the best of the Stereophonics. He was always goofing around on stage, seemed like a good laugh.

Didn't he get the boot for being an alcoholic?

First two 'Phonics records are still pretty decent. I like the first one especially. They went utter toss after that, though Kelly Jones seems like a good chap.

I also like the first album, 'Looks Like Chaplin' especially, great song. The second album was OK initially but started to suffer a bit by over-exposure of the singles. I still really like that song 'Mr Writer' that was on the 3rd album cos it was kind of weird and I thought they were maybe going a bit more left of field but it was not to be sadly...I've always thought Kelly Jones has a great voice that is kind of wasted on the toss they generally churn out...

Sad to hear about the drummer though, he got kicked out because he wasn't as career minded as the others...

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Local Boy In The Photograph.

Magic song.

First 2 albums are ace in fact. Third one was a bit shit and I totally lost interest in them after that. Cable always looked like a reet good laugh. Damn shame he's died so young.

I liked them up until the third album but I lost interest in them after that, most of their later stuff is just turgid boring rock.

The second album got ruined for me as well. Back when I first moved to Aberdeen for college I was staying in a flat with 4 other guys. We had a stereo in the living room, which one of the guys owned, and for that reason he always got to decide what we would listen to. Problem is, the cunt only had two CDs, Stereophonics "Performance And Cocktails" and Robbie Williams "I've Been Expecting You". Being waster students, we would spend most days sitting with the curtains closed all day long, playing 4-player Goldeneye on N64 and smoking weed. Tell you what, you listen to the same two albums every day for a year, it's enough to really put you off them.

There was a time when Performance and Cocktails was one of 2 CDs that I owned. This is because it was the second album I ever bought. Cool dude, me.

He didn't do anything spectacular as a drummer but he didn't really need to on the early Stereophonics stuff, just kept things together.

Shocked to hear this in the morning. He was a top bloke. Great stage presence for being a drummer and while you couldn't describe his drumming ability anything above "workmanlike" he kept things together on the first two albums which I still really rate. They turned into a blizzard of shite on album 3 and turned way too serious after Cable left.

Met him twice, he was so nice - just a real ordinary guy who clearly loved getting pished and living the rock & roll dream. A booming voice and a firm handshake to boot. Took the time to blether to me while Kelly Jones chatted up some birds. I always remember the gig at the Works in '97 when he said if they make it big he'll live it up to the max - "roaahhhck beeeehhheeeemoth" he said! Guess he did that.

The world's lost one of the good 'un's.

Aye, I was sad to hear of his untimely demise.

Word Gets Around is one of those albums that I forget about for ages and then get blown away when I hear it again. Plinth sums up my thoughts on their career trajectory quite well. Did performance and cocktails not spawn five singles?

Aye, I was sad to hear of his untimely demise.

Word Gets Around is one of those albums that I forget about for ages and then get blown away when I hear it again. Plinth sums up my thoughts on their career trajectory quite well. Did performance and cocktails not spawn five singles?

It seemed like there were loads but I only remember 'Just Looking', 'The Bartender and the Thief' and 'Pick a Part That's New'. Was it not around then they did that shite cover with Tom Jones? 'Just Looking' was in 'This Year's Love' as the main theme so they are always linked with that film in my mind along with David Gray.

RIP. Truly awful band though. That said, subscribing to Del's "even shit bands have at least one good song" theory I do like that one that's a Johnny and Mary/early 80s kind of thing, "Feel like the one..." do do do do do, you know what I'm talking about.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I've always thought Kelly Jones has a great voice that is kind of wasted on the toss they generally churn out...

I agree. It's full-on Rod Stewart worship.

I need to re-buy the first two records as I don't seem to have them anymore.

I'll sell you the third one.

I agree. It's full-on Rod Stewart worship.

I need to re-buy the first two records as I don't seem to have them anymore.

I dug out the first one this morning to listen to in the car. I skipped the first song after a few seconds to listen to 'Looks Like Chaplin', still ace. Then I put on the first Gomez album which I found at the same time. Forgot how much I liked it.

They were another band that started off well and got toss. Travis were the same.

What's with British Indie Schmindie bands going wank?