aberdeen-music

Acoustic guitar modding???

SooperKeef

4478302_5510045_JohnMartyn0.jpg

If you want an 'electric' tone, your best bet is to get a pretty cheap pickup and a feedback-stopping device for the sound hole. The better sound hole pickups sound a lot more 'natural'

and are a lot more difficult to get fuzzy sounds from.

The guitar looks pretty small though. You might want to take it into a shop and try any additions out.

I duct taped a electric guitar pick up into a classical guitar once, wired it up with some old stereo parts and surprisingly I even thought ahead and fitted steel guitar strings, to avoid that "duuuuh" moment!

Funnily enough it sounded, looked and played like shite BUT the duct tape pickup mount appeared to eliminate any feedback as the pick up wasnt actually fixed solidly to the guitar and didnt resonate as much. Eventually the electric guitar strings crushed the classical's bridge and then the neck joint failed and the thing ate itself!! :popcorn:

hmm....i think that imma take the ductape on board :/ that mind come in useful to eliminate feedback.....so im thinking i want a bridge p/u & and a neck p/u (single coils) anything i can do to avoid cutting it up to fit the bridge p/u ?? (im instinctively thinking no :L) but does anyone know if i would be able to do something similar to a 2 single coil electric setup?

Hows your wood working skills? To make it look any good you really need to cut to pick up templates (I know this is a pain as you have to make templates first but honestly you WILL make a mess of it without one) for the pick up hole. Also look at the guitar and check where the bracing runs, it might be right under the proposed pick up position.

Also you should probably go to speak with someone who knows pickups and they could recommend you one. I used a standard electric guitar humbucker and it just sounded like a shite guitar being played in a wooden hole under water.

Also also my duct tape method was highly flawed as if you moved about too much the pick up magnets would stick to the strings! :down:

I'd say give it a go for the experience but be prepared to throw the first guitar in the bin once youre finished! Or at least fit a giant scratch plate on it to hide you mess!!

If it's a playable guitar, leave it alone and play it, or give it to someone who might want to learn to play, then buy an electric guitar. Hacking lumps out of it to fit pickups will merely bollocks it up. If you have to amplify it, try a piezo pickup.

Duct tape?

Strike me pink.

o_O

you have a fair point, and I'd be the first to tell you that if I had spent all the time I have actually playing my instruments rather than messing with them I might actually be a reasonable player! But its only human to experiment, we'd all still be sitting in a cave watching a fire if one of us didnt think "I could do something better with this!" :up:

there is still a 99.9% probability that the guitar will be bollocks post mods though!

If it's a playable guitar, leave it alone and play it, or give it to someone who might want to learn to play, then buy an electric guitar. Hacking lumps out of it to fit pickups will merely bollocks it up. If you have to amplify it, try a piezo pickup.

Duct tape?

Strike me pink.

o_O

I dunno, seems like it's a shitty guitar anyway, it's not like he's hacking up a 59 Les Paul or something.