aberdeen-music

Chas Hodges @ Lemon Tree 10th June

Eminem samples Chas and Dave!

In the seventies Chas & Dave were prolific session musicians before their own thing took off, playing on many albums for a wide range of artists. One such album was Labi Siffres Remember My Song from 1975. One of the tracks on this album I Got The was sampled by Eminem on his breakthrough hit My Name Is and is the main musical refrain of the track. Chas is playing guitar and Dave is playing bass.

Earlier in the sixties Chas and Ritchie Blackmore were in a band called the Outlaws that backed Jerry Lee Lewis for a European tour. This was the start of a long association of Chas with Jerry Lee as he often backed Jerry on TV appearances and he lead a band called Head, Hands and Feet that included Albert Lee who backed Jerry Lee Lewis in the studio when he cut a double album called the London Session.

In the seventies Chas & Dave become well know for music that combined RockNRoll with Cockney humour. Chas called it called and they had great success with numbers like: Gertcha, Got My Beer In The Sideboard Here, Aint No Pleasing You, London Girls and the snooker theme tune Snooker Loopy.

Their appearance at the Glastonbury Festival introduced them to a whole new younger audience and many of the new bands were citing Chas and Dave as a major influence. Once such band was the Libertines and Pete Docherty and Carl Barat had Chas and Dave on the bill for their London shows with Pete and Carl joining them on stage for some numbers much to the fans delight.

Unfortunately Daves wife contracted cancer and died last year and Dave is taking a year off.

Chas continues with his own rocknroll band and is at the Lemon Tree on Thursday night.

Chas will be doing all his old hits but will also be telling some outrageous stories about what it is really like to tour with Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Gene Vincent, to play at Eric Claptons wedding and get George, Paul and Ringo to join him on stage and 101 other stories from the long and varied career of Chas Hodges an truly extraordinary musician.

Check Chas out these links:

Chas Hodges Official Site - Chas and Dave

Official Website of Chas and Dave

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CZi5fni4lzs

Just read his book, it was great. In fact after I finished I went on to his website to see if he was playing but this gig didn't come up.

Sadly I'll be in Edinburgh on Thurdsay otherwise I would have been there. Did you first meet him on the JLL tours in the 60s?

Hi Mr Bigsby,

Sorry you can't make it to the Lemon Tree on Thursday night as it should be a fun show.

Yes I first knew Chas back in 1963 when he and Ritchie Blackmore backed Jerry as The Outlaws.

Back then Chas, Ritchie and Gene Vincent had a propensity for throwing bags of flour out of the van window at passers by. I will try to persuade him to tell the story about the night they were driving through the town centre of Wigan in the middle of the night. It was pouring rain and there was a policeman sheltering in a doorway at a roundabout and they threw a bag of flour at him. Chas said, "I thought we had gone too far when we went round the roundabout again and threw the second bag".

Back then Chas and the band only drove through the night to the next gig as they had no road tax on the van!

Happy days. No doubt Chas will recall them at the show.

Chas will be staying at my place for a couple of days before the next show on Saturday night in Glasgow.

jerry_chas_ritchie_-_the_outlaws_63_original.jpg

Hi Mr Bigsby,

Sorry you can't make it to the Lemon Tree on Thursday night as it should be a fun show.

Yes I first knew Chas back in 1963 when he and Ritchie Blackmore backed Jerry as The Outlaws.

Back then Chas, Ritchie and Gene Vincent had a propensity for throwing bags of flour out of the van window at passers by. I will try to persuade him to tell the story about the night they were driving through the town centre of Wigan in the middle of the night. It was pouring rain and there was a policeman sheltering in a doorway at a roundabout and they threw a bag of flour at him. Chas said, "I thought we had gone too far when we went round the roundabout again and threw the second bag".

Back then Chas and the band only drove through the night to the next gig as they had no road tax on the van!

Happy days. No doubt Chas will recall them at the show.

Chas will be staying at my place for a couple of days before the next show on Saturday night in Glasgow.

jerry_chas_ritchie_-_the_outlaws_63_original.jpg

Yup, read all about the flour stuff in the book, it really was a great read.

There's a chance I might be travelling up on Thursday evening now, do you know what time he will be onstage?

Pierre Von Mondragon wrote "Rick Blackmore"= v funny

Obviously when the NME captioned that picture in 1963 the journalists were unaware that Rick was in fact Ritchie - this was long before Rainbow and Deep Purple etc.

Here are a few more pics from the same period to amuse you - no doubt Chas will talk about the old days on Thursday at his Lemon Tree show.

The first is a very young Ritchie backing Gene Vincent in 1963

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/showimage.php?i=16437&catid=member&imageuser=5210

The second is shows Chas 2nd left - which is Ritchie? :)

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/showimage.php?i=16436&catid=member&imageuser=5210

This is Chas backing Jerry at the Star Club in Hamburg

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/showimage.php?i=16435&catid=member&imageuser=5210

This last one is more up to date and shows me standing behind Chas and we are watching BB Cunningham, the Bass player in Jerry Lee's band playing the piano. BB himself wrote a million seller called Let It All Hang Out - back when he was in The Hombres.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/galleries/showimage.php?i=16434&c=member&imageuser=5210

More info about the Chas Hodges show at the Lemon Tree on Thursday night

Since the sad passing away of Daves wife and as a result his retirement from the live gigging circuit.

CHAS & HIS BAND are now touring in their own right under the banner ROCK RABBIT & ROLL TOUR with Chass son Nik on drums and Darren Juniper on Bass, his Dad introduced Chas to Dave. The show features all the Chas & Dave hits including RABBIT GERTCHA AINT NO PLEASING YOU, SIDEBOARD SONG MARGATE LONDON GIRLS SNOOKER LOOPY etc in the show.

Before the interval Chas now tells his musical story of his days before Dave, with the times he spent with his mentor Rock n Roll legend Jerry Lee Lewis , on the zroad with Gene Vincent, In the recording studios with Joe Meek including the time he played electric bass on John Leytons No 1 hit Johnny remember me on tour with the Beatles as a member of Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers and their No 1 Record Got to get you into my Life which was produced by Paul McCartney. Finally touring America promoting the hit Warming up the Band as part of Heads Hands & Feet with Albert Lee.

Sit down if you can or Rock n Roll with CHAS & HIS BAND and have a good time and a very memorable evening.

This a link to Chas talking about playing with George, Paul and Ringo at Eric Clapton's wedding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6z0D3oCj0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&

and this is a link to Eric Clapton and Albert guesting on Chas & Dave's TV show

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

and this is a link to Chas playing bass for Jerry Lee on Great Balls of Fire at at what was supposed to be a Country Music Festival at Wembley

YouTube - JERRY LEE LEWIS LIVE GREAT BALLS OF FIRE WEMBLEY 1990,

Chas had a very enthusiastic crowd at the Lemon tree last night - including several Aberdeen Music members including two with STAFF status.

Chas and the band are staying at my place tonight as well and Chas would like to do a free gig somewhere tonight.

If anyone wants a free show - ring me on 07981122984 - Chas just likes to play. He can't stop himself.

Chas had a very enthusiastic crowd at the Lemon tree last night - including several Aberdeen Music members including two with STAFF status.

Chas and the band are staying at my place tonight as well and Chas would like to do a free gig somewhere tonight.

If anyone wants a free show - ring me on 07981122984 - Chas just likes to play. He can't stop himself.

Nobody taking up this offer? o_O

Yes - thanks Brian for all your help. Maybe next time.

Chas had a good day yesterday and really enjoyed visiting Ross and the lads at R & B Music.

Chas also liked the facilities at Lemon Tree and was especially impressed with the sound and at the end of the night took time to thank a young lady called Lisa for doing such a good job at the desk.

It is surprising that Chas first came to Aberdeen as long ago as 1961 with Mike Berry - Chas was then in the Outlaws. And he has been back upmteen times since.

Ross at R&B was reminding Chas that he had been to see them when the Rubber Bullets tour with Chas & Dave and 10CC came to Aberdeen more than thirty years ago. Ross played with Chas that night but at a game of snooker!

Chas watched this crazy drummer a few times

YouTube - Rick K. and the Allnighters - Sharp Dressed Man