aberdeen-music

recommendations for scenic walks?

davidm

hello,

i am looking to take advantage of this weather/being off uni properly in the next couple of weeks and go for a couple of walks somewhere out in the country.

however, my one problem is that i don't have a car!

so, is there anywhere anyone could recommend i visit that's relatively accessible via trains/buses? for example, are there any coastal walks relatively close to stonehaven/montrose/arbroath etc? or up north? all suggestions are welcomed :)

Try having a browse on Walkhighlands: Scotland walks and accommodation. It's got loads of walks of varying difficulty and includes route maps and descriptions.

You could probably have a nice time walking from the golf course/cowie in Stonehaven, along the beach and then up the hill to Dunnottar Castle. Then back down again for a pint at The Marine/The Ship.

Failing that there's loads of good places to walk along the Royal Deeside bus route. Scolty Hill in Banchory has heaps of walks around it or you could go further out to Ballatar and Braemar. Get off anywhere out that way and you'll find somewhere to walk nearby.

The forestry commission website is usually good too for finding trails though some routes through forestry commission land are very, very boring (mile after mile of scots pine forest in a straight line with no interesting landmarks or wildlife).

Wow, thanks very much for the link.

I think Dunnottar Castle is definitely number 1 on the list to be done tomorrow. A lot of the walks I went on when younger further west were very samey and quite dull so any walks with landmarks/anything of note is far preferable.

There was a great walk around Ballater that I did about 10 years ago now that I'd love to do again someday but I can't remember where it begun!

You could probably have a nice time walking from the golf course/cowie in Stonehaven, along the beach and then up the hill to Dunnottar Castle. Then back down again for a pint at The Marine/The Ship.

The hill is still out of commission because of the land slips, IIRC. Better bet might be to walk through Dunnotar Woods and up the A92 to get there, and use the small through road half way down the hill going back.....

The hill is still out of commission because of the land slips, IIRC. Better bet might be to walk through Dunnotar Woods and up the A92 to get there, and use the small through road half way down the hill going back.....

Is it even closed to pedestrians now? Oh well, that would be an even longer walk but you'd miss the view over Stonehaven. Even better you could actually walk through the woods and see the shell house, lady kennedy's bath etc.

Kirkhill Forest and Tyrebagger Hill on either side on the A96 are excellent walks. Tyrebagger has some interesting modern sculptures and Kirkhill, whilst looking fairly small from an ariel view, is a place you could spend hours walking (or cycling) round.

The 307 bus (Stagecoach/Bluebird) will get you there.

Another option is Collieston - there are some dramatic views on the coastal walk and a nice secluded beach.

You can get there via Ellon, but it would be two buses, 260 (Abz - Ellon) and 264.

The 260 will also take you to Balmedie for a superb walk along the dunes to the Ythan estuary.

the north of the country in general is pretty decent, When i stayed in Cullen my usual pass-time was walking because its calming there, i can imagine it being the same in the places around it too....

Being from Cullen I'm bound to second this. Cullen House grounds are splendid for an afternoon ramble, the Crannach Hill and Findlater Castle/ Sunnyside Beach are lovely, and the old railway line to Portknockie is great too. A bus from Aberdeen takes you right there. Or, get a bus to Fochabers and take the Winding Walks through Whiteash Hill. Magnificent.

Being from Cullen I'm bound to second this. Cullen House grounds are splendid for an afternoon ramble, the Crannach Hill and Findlater Castle/ Sunnyside Beach are lovely, and the old railway line to Portknockie is great too. A bus from Aberdeen takes you right there. Or, get a bus to Fochabers and take the Winding Walks through Whiteash Hill. Magnificent.

;) The ice cream shop :D If your in Cullen its one of the things you need to do after walking around and seeing Cullen.

Not a country walk, but we had a nice wander round round Brechin the other day....via the Cathedral, and the short but attractive Skinner's Burn Walk.

There's a scenic (but not for the faint-hearted) walk along the cliffs at Crawton (presume the bus would drop you off on the main road). The birds at Fowls Heugh are great, in a smelly way.(Not for dogs or small feral children though).