aberdeen-music

How do you get a good recording cheaply?

kirkt

The No Pints would like to record but we can't afford Captain Toms or owt like that. Anyone got any idea how we could record a few songs at a low low price? I know Voice of Aggression managed it. We need it to be good cos its for a compilation featuring high quality acts such as The Virus, 17 Stitches and Poundaflesh and another song for a split 7" with Swordface and Regal Beagle

Download some music software (cubase or sonar are industry standard apparently), and if you need it, go to some of the computing firms/offcies around Aberdeen, to try and blag an out of date computer (they up date, and tend to dispense computers either through the workforce or in the trash, well that's how we managed).

You'll need to put all the software on there, as the memory will have been wiped (and you'll need to buy extra memory too, because wave files etc are big.

There's a member on here who goes under the name M Hucknel, or something, and he has sm57s (guitars/percussion) and sm58s(vocals) for about 50 each. They're good mics, and versitile too (that's if you've got the funds, but they're worth it).

Egg trays are good to stop flutter echo in a room, and you can get about 100 of them for 5 at the right places. Second hand curtains are also cheap from charity shops.

We were thinking about helping a few bands out for a small price, but it's just thoughts at the moment (other than Gav recording Politik).

Hope that helps

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of recording from now on, it seems a bit pointless splashing out that much cash on mics, pc etc. when a live recording session deal at Tom's is surprisingly cheap. Someone else can provide better details, but iirc you can get an hour practice, then two hours recording for around 60ish (?) You should easily get 3/4 tracks sounding good out of that.

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of recording from now on' date=' it seems a bit pointless splashing out that much cash on mics, pc etc. when a live recording session deal at Tom's is surprisingly cheap. Someone else can provide better details, but iirc you can get an hour practice, then two hours recording for around 60ish (?) You should easily get 3/4 tracks sounding good out of that.[/quote']

I disagree completely, I'm afraid.

The live sessions are a waste, if you're wanting anything more than the demo's of a few songs.

I heard Dedalus got a pretty good live recording out of Exile, however.

Overall, I'm not a fan of live recording. Maybe that's just me.

Captain Toms

Great for about 60 as Frosty says,XS RELOCAT went in and recorded 15 songs in 2 hours,and I prefer the live warts and all recordings,too much production makes ye sound like namby pamby shite.The central library is the place to go for free or cheap loans of equipment.

I heard Dedalus got a pretty good live recording out of Exile' date=' however.

[/quote']

The Dedalus songs just recorded at Exile sounds fantastic. Some of the best stuff I've ever heard come out of there and mix wise it sounds better to me than the majority of local stuff I've heard over the years.

We've done the live deal when we were trying to get all our ideas down. We recorded 10 songs in the 2 hours...each was only one take though so there are mistakes on our behalf but over all it was good for what it was. If you want a good quality recording then it basically comes down to the fact that you are going to have spend a chunk of cash. It doesn't have to be silly amounts but probably in the three figure range...think about it 180 would get you 10 hours at Toms. You might not even be needing that much though so it could be cheaper...if that's not value I don't know what is!

Guest scott cs.

we're planning on going for the 60 live deal at Tom's just so we can hear what it sounds like on CD. we'll also be selling them as coasters and frisbees, unless people want to actually listen to them :D

it would be interesting to hear what other bands sound like recorded like this. i've heard Operation Washout's demo which was done at Tom's for the live deal and it's a bit hit or miss, but that was done a few years ago.

Well' date=' you could go to the Aberdeen Foyer, it's only 12 an hour for recording and the quality is great. You should try that - down in Marywell Street.[/quote']

The Foyer is great value for money, they recently got new recording equipment and Dave, Rory etc really know what they are doing. Worth a look into.

Guest lime ruined my life

what iv done in the past that works well is to record a whole song into one mic, and then record the guitar then bass into a multitrack recorder seperatly while listening to the track previously recorded. you have to be really precise with timing issues though, then the drummer can listen to the bass and guitar mixed and play drums to it. a click track is a good idea when using this aproach.

Guest Ewan SSR
VoA got Phat Tom of 10EW to record them on his computer in Paul Sammat's lock-up. Maybe you could organise to do something similar with Tom? Finding the venue to do it in may be the tricky part.

Yeah, I was just gonna say that. Tom will most likely recod it for you.

im liking them Captain Tom live recordings. Whatever happened To Keep it Safe anyway? I think we'll go with the live recording and ill get in touch with Tom 10EW bout mastering/mixing it maybe

You probably won't be able to transfer the data from Cpt Tom's equipment to Phat Tom's for a remix if he's still using the D-160 without some severe interfacing, unless he's got a computer in the system nowadays.

The best way is as I've described above, especially since, if my memory serves, you guys are a three piece with two vox playing 2-3 minute songs. Bash out the tracks instrumentally on multi (not a lot of bleed if you keep the volumes sensible), overdub the vox and then take a rough mix home. Go back a few days later with what you want changed and mix properly.

With the length of songs you guys have got you should be able to do four or five songs in about five hours (three recording, two mixing).

Remember though that a recorded track can only be as good as the source, having a definite idea of what you want and getting your instruments to sound like that before you go into the studio will save you shedloads of money due to humming and hawing while the meters running.