aberdeen-music

TAINT + MANATEES (Superfi Records) @ The Tunnels Aug 2nd

So, if anyone didn't see my previous post, tomorrow night is going to ideally run something along the lines of:

DROSS: 8.30

MANATEES: 9.15

TAINT: 10.15

Hopefully it should all be wrapped up by roughly 11pm for folks who need to get their last buses home etc.

If you're not sure about coming; please do! It would mean so much to the Dave/Dave tag team and it also means that we can actually afford to bring up bands that are as good as Taint and Manatees are in the future!

Love,

Dave/Dave.

I should be along to this despite never having heard any of the bands. Other than the what-is-now-known-as-DROSS demos that appeared ages ago. Can a bona fide Aberdeen Music supergroup live up to it's members rep points?

Not with me letting the side down, not even a sheriff's badge to my name. Horrific.

Thank God for the early-ish finish. I was bricking it yesterday when the Murrrmobile died, but I should be able to get the last bus back to Westhill without missing anything. Super.

There's a fair chance that I'll be heading back out to Westhill with Mr. Calum. Holler if you need a lift, Mr. Murray!

thank you so much if you came to this gig.

it really, really means a lot to myself and other dave that there was a decent turnout. i can't really say that with much sincerity across the internet, but if you came along, it was really appreciated.

i thought DROSS were fucking amazing, particularly for a first gig. there was a bit in the first song that was probably my favourite riff/section of the entire night and that second song is the tits. fantastic stuff.

manatees were wonderful, probably the best band of the night overall. their sound was just perfect and really cut right through me. my left ear hurt for way too long after they played although it appears to be fine now!

taint were great. poison pen attack was excellent (the song they played after the false start) and the 12-minute epic 'all bees to the sea' was fucking awesome too. so many good riffs in it. yas min.

all in all, great night, great atmosphere and lots of good people there!

thank you again!

dave/dave

This was the best gig I've been to since moving here. Manatees were special. I had to nip out half way through their set to get my gear picked up, and I could hear them pretty clearly at the top of the street near the M&S side entrance. Ridiculous.

Taint are the best band I've seen in years. Apart from the first song, they were just super tight.

Thanks for letting us play such a great slot for our first time out. I don't think we could've gotten a better first gig than that in a million years. Belting.

Proper teckle gig. Taint were good, though I'd have liked to have heard more songs off of The Ruins...

Manatees were easily band of the night. So fucking loud, intense and just YAAAS!

I was pleased with Dross performance. I am happy. Yes. Happy.

I slept like a fucking baby last night as well. Teckle.

Manatees had a song in the middle that started with the delayed bass, where the drummer kept the drums slow and simple. THAT was their dynamic and it was incredible. Never liked em much before but they were pretty awesome last night, not huge on the fast drumming as I love the hypnotic slow stuff.

Taint were probably stole it for me, it's more my thing: 45 riffs per song driven really simple, energetic and groove laden rythmn-ing. When I say simple, I mean really cool time signature that sound like they are 4/4. 3/4, 4/3 but are actually much more complex. Love watching that guy playing drums.

Missed Dross as I was playing fitba but i'd probably rather see them once they have done some more gigs.

This was the best gig I've been to since moving here. Manatees were special. I had to nip out half way through their set to get my gear picked up, and I could hear them pretty clearly at the top of the street near the M&S side entrance. Ridiculous.

Taint are the best band I've seen in years. Apart from the first song, they were just super tight.

Thanks for letting us play such a great slot for our first time out. I don't think we could've gotten a better first gig than that in a million years. Belting.

The chaps from Taint said you guys were excellent, especially for a first gig, btw.

This was good. Best gig I've been to in a ages. Good turnout too. Wads of new faces. Tunnels didn't feel empty for once.

Dross were pretty good and will definitely get better over time. Tight for a first gig too. I forgot how much I enjoy watching Jan make love to his guitar.

Manatees were excellent. LOUD, but not too loud. Awesome dynamics, vocals and they were super tight. Sound was great too - especially the drums. That big fuck off ride cymbal sounded amazing.

Enjoyed Taint, both the older and the newer stuff. A lot of 'classic rock' in there, which I generally hate, but they definitely kept it interesting. There was a stinking rotten solo at one point, but then they absolutely pummeled into the next riff, which was probably their heaviest. Was totally made by the shift. Good song writing.

Manatees actually gave me a semi. It might have the volume, it might have been the 48" ride or whatever but they were my band of the night.

Dross were perfect for the gig and despite the odd off beat here and there, you guys were good. There was some good riffs creeping out.

Good gig. Do more of them!