aberdeen-music

Bond... James Bond.

Lemonade

I'm sure it's been done before, but what the hell. I was talking about this on Facebook today and it got a good wee discussion going. What do you think are the best and worst Bond themes?

IMO - Best is "Nobody Does It Better" from The Spy Who Loved Me (which is also an excellent film).

I also like "We Have All The Time In The World" from On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Lulu's "The Man With The Golden Gun".

The Worst - "Goldeneye" by Tina Turner.

Other shite ones: Jack White and Alicia Keys effort from Quantum Of Solace; "All Time High" by Rita Coolidge (from Octopussy), "Licence To Kill" by Gladys Knight.

What are your besties / worsties?

Oo good thread. My faves are the 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' instrumental by John Barry, 'You Only Live Twice' by Nancy Sinatra, 'A View to a Kill' by Duran Duran, 'Diamonds Are Forever' by Shirley Bassey, 'Live and Let Die' by Wings.

Worst ones are the Sheryl Crowe, Alicia Keyes/Jack White efforts.

Carly Simon - Nobody Does It Better

Sheena Easton - For Your Eyes Only

I actually wanted to form a band where the concept was we performed original bond themes to made up bond films. James Bond should be it's own musical genre.

:laughing: Bizarrely I had that same idea. We should totally do that.

Apparently Cobra Kai's "Plastic Smile" sounds like a Bond theme, though that was unintentional.

Agreed about For Your Eyes Only, it's shit.

Best- Goldfinger

Worst- Die Another Day

Did you know that Alice Cooper was supposed to do the Man with the Golden Gun theme. He recorded it, but the producers bottled it and went with the safe Lulu version.

what about a Bond theme fantasy artist idea. Eg pick a band/artist that you think would have been perfect for a bond theme. I think Roxy Music with Brian Eno could have created something brilliant.

Sure most people will hate this suggestion, but I reckon Amy Winehouse was born to record a Bond theme. She could be the Shirley Bassey of a new generation. Lets hope she manages one before she dies of crack-whore.

I reckon Muse would do a good one.

Best - Nobody Does It Better

Worst - Whilst I can't exactly remember how it goes, the Madonna one got on my tits.

"All Time High" by Rita Coolidge (from Octopussy)

That song has no chorus, but I really like the verse.

Octopussy was one of the first bond movies I remember seeing. I think it was on TV a lot or my uncle had it on VHS or something.

A bit like Star Wars I remember seeing it a lot before I remember understanding it. Movies like that were part of the furniture at Xmas.

Such is the greatness of Nancy Sinatra and the quality of 'You Only Live Twice' as a song, even Robbie Williams couldn't kill it.

Folk actually talked about him playing Bond at one point, because he could wear a tux and raise an eyebrow with that eminently punchable look on his coupon. Twat.

I wasn't keen on Chris Cornell's 'You Know My Name' at first, namely because I was like 'What the f**k is Chris Cornell doing a Bond theme for? Make up for Audioslave's second album first you tosser!'

Then he got even worse doing albums with Timbaland so I realised that that song was actually OK...