aberdeen-music

Some Kind Of Bullshit

Mouse

"My advice to James is to end Metallica, call up Newsted and Mustaine and find a fucking killer drummer and start again. I think that could be the beginning of another revolution, spearheaded by one of the great geniuses of heavy metal."

i found the read quite interesing and think that the band idea above he suggested wopuld be very interesing!

It wasn't interesting, it was a badly written piece of junk. I felt like I wasted 10 min of my life reading his 'review', and if he really thinks slagging off Metallica and St Anger is 'controversial' nowadays, he's even dumber than he looks.

PS What's the problem with Lars saying they wouldn't know if Cliff Burton fits into the band nowadays? It's hardly offensive, just an indication that Metallica have changed a lot since his death (which Robinson himself rants on about), and that the person Cliff Burton may have been possibly not have fitted in if he was still alive. Big deal.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Why don't you tell them that? I'm sure they'll care what you think.

Apologies to the easily-offended Metallica fan. It's a music discussion, is it not? People come on and DISCUSS issues related to MUSIC. It's only an opinion, why not give us yours?

Apologies to the easily-offended Metallica fan. It's a music discussion' date=' is it not? People come on and DISCUSS issues related to MUSIC. It's only an opinion, why not give us yours?[/quote']

Sure thing. Easily offended? Nah, I just think it's funny how you can be repulsed by a band that's past it's sell by date still being on the go. You say they havn't been relevant since 1991, but the thing that should be emphasized is that they havn't been relevant to you, which isn't that important. I agree with what Robinson says, they're nothing of what they used to be, although in my eyes they've had some awesome stuff post the Black Album, even if it has been few and far between.

Regardless, they've given us some fucking awesome music, and I couldn't give a shit how relevant they are today, if they want to make music, then good on them, and if it sucks, well then that's a shame, but i'm not gonna get repulsed and moan about the fact that they still make music, because that's stupid.

I think that Saint Anger is a terrible album.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Without toying with semantics, repulsive is, as I've said, a personal OPINION, that's all. Did I say it was important anyway? No, I don't believe I did. I agree, they're well past their sell-by date but I still have their first 4 LP's as I was well into them as a 13-14 year old (showing my age now!) and I still give them a nostalgic spin every so often. My moan lasted about one line, and I don't think offering an honest opinion is stupid at all. Over to you.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
And my opinion is that to be repulsed by something of that nature' date=' is idiotic. :)

It's all good.[/quote']

And that, I believe, is the end of that. I'm sure we will meet again.

The ONLY thing I agree with in that whole review is that Kirk isn't assertive enough and is caught between Lars and James.

I think Lars is right about the Cliff coment, I don't care if people find it offensive, people are too easily offended, probably by the mere fact Lars mentioned someone who has passed on. I think Cliff was awesome, but Rob suits the gig more. I admire Lar's honesty. I also think what Lars has to say about "when does an album truly begin" is very interesting too.....the minute you come up with a riff, even if its gonna end up on an album even in 5 years time, isn't that the album process begun?

I dunno what this guy was talking about Metallica being afraid to "rock" anymore, seems like an empty coment to downgrade them...they still put on the best fucking live show you could ever hope for, especially considering they arent in their ealry twenties anymore by a long shot.

This guy obviuosly seems to have problems with the band getting emotional too, and the reasoning behind the songs, probably a testosterone thing (i mean look at this guys picture), the best way to effect someone in ANYTHING, whether it be music, art, writing, whatever....is for it to bring up an emotion.

I can't understand people who think Metallica should pack it in now on the simple reason that they don't like the music they make anymore, a bit ignorant no? There are still millions of other people out there that want to hear what Metallica can still do, and love listening to it. Metallica get punished for making those four or five masterpieces at the beginning of their career, they wouldn't get nearly the stick they get if they had been sub-par thrash albums. It's upside down inside out.

On a final note the comment about James packing in Metallica to phone up Mustaine and Newstead, i think its just nonsense... it's a comment that hasn't actually been thought about, Hetfield has amazing chemistry as a guitarist with Kirk, he has amazing chemistry with Lars as a songwriter (that includes structure, theme, everything to the last detail) James has been in a band with Jason before remember... as far as them both being happy with the outcome of the process goes, it didn't work. James has been in a band with Mustaine too ...it did not work out. You can't just say "ill pick him, him, him and him and it will be the best band ever" ...too many variables.

That's how I see it.