aberdeen-music

Slipknot bassist found dead

Three-knots

Still no news on what killed him yet, the autopsy didn't reveal anything apparently so it's down to the toxicology reports now. Also, his death isn't being treated as suspicious.

Slipknot members have held a news conference about it, the video is on their myspace page.

No masks.

Key points:

Corey was very articulate and level headed.

Clown was thoughtful and looks like a bigger Kevin Smith

That's the first time I (or almost anyone) have seen #5. He has a beyond impressive beard and shook his head when asked if he had anything to say.

Mick is one scary motherfucker. He and Jim didn't speak at all

Sid is different than what you'd think. A fairly normal if scrawny and heavily tattooed guy, in all honesty.

#3 is just a completely regular guy.

Joey seemed most upset and could hardly speak.

His (real, blood) brother was very dignified.

So was his wife.

I found the whole thing a bit surreal.

RIP #2.

They always said the band would finish if they ever de - masked so I'm wondering if this has signalled the end of the 'Knot.

I can't say I know enough about the band's internal politics since I haven't really followed them since JNCO jeans and dreadlock-beards were all the rage, but it's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure the unmasking is more of a respect thing than a statement of intent at this stage.

I'm weirdly bummed by this even though I haven't been a fan for probably over a decade. They're a gateway band to a lot of people and I'm sure they'll go on, it just seems like a goofy, fun adolescent innocence they had has gone. It's like seeing someone roll up a joint on a Spawn comic. Bad analogy. What I mean is: they seemed like superheroes to my spotty, awkward, angry adolescent self and the spell seems sadly broken.

They always said the band would finish if they ever de - masked so I'm wondering if this has signalled the end of the 'Knot.

That's what I'm worried about, I only saw the video via their myspace page and I didn't hear Corey talk other than saying that is all the group had to say, which I was slightyl shocked at.

Watched that conference earlier this morning. Can't say I wasn't touched. Really don't care for the band much these days, they have good tunes but hey ho.

Devestated that he had a kid on the way. Least he has somewhat of a legacy left behind him.

Sure the band status is the last thing on their minds.

That's why the Before I Forget video was so popular, because they were demasked. They haven't demasked as a band before, it's always been for side projects. They would turn up to radio interviews with the masks on

They were all interviewed on the Voliminal DVD sans-mask except craig. Keep in mind they also said once upon a time they were only going to do 3 albums. I don't think the unmasking's such a big deal any more, especially given in this instance it's such a big 'occasion'.

Video was pretty heavy, glad chris managed to keep it kinda positive. Like Calum says, i dont see them looking at themselves as a band for a while tbh. Tho I think it's pretty cool that such a famously dysfunctional unit like slipknot managed to come together like that.

I'll be surprised if they do anything else as Slipknot personally. The personel/image/identity was always such a big deal with them, i guess they might do like a tribute show or some kinda RR United thing or something, but i'll be well surprised if we see slipknot again.

Isn't the fat clown the only original member? Or one of very few...

Fat Clown

Paul Gray

and soon after Joey Jordison

Were the originals.

Technically, It leaves them with only the one original member, although Jordison has recorded every single note with Slipknot.

That's why the Before I Forget video was so popular, because they were demasked. They haven't demasked as a band before, it's always been for side projects. They would turn up to radio interviews with the masks on

^This^

Obviously they have gone unmasked individually before but never as Slipknot the band. Like I was saying, I don't think anyone's ever seen Craig unmasked before. He rarely ever even speaks.

I think they'll split, but then again, I thought Rancid (another "we're brothers" band) would after Brett left and they replaced him. Interesting that an "auxiliary" member of the 'Knot, in Chris, is currently moonlighting on bass for Will Haven, though........

Whichever way you look at it, it's just a fucking tragedy that a kid ain't ever gonna see their Dad. Really sad.

I'm pretty sure the unmasking is more of a respect thing than a statement of intent at this stage.

Fully, but it may be a part of a bigger thing.

I'm sure it's out of respect, though, you're right. They were all very respectful in the conference where you think they might have been angry. Like I said, Corey was very respectful, dignified and, in particular, kind and supporting to his brother. Corey's a top man.

It's such a shame it's happened, but it's also scary that a band I've enjoyed and seen several times since first hearing them when I was 13/14 looks as if it's falling apart.

I know many people nowadays don't think much of Slipknot, but they are still amongst my favourite bands. My wee sis is gutted because she made me promise her that once she turns 14 (old enough to go to gigs, as determined by mother-dearest) I have to take her to see Slipknot, and that might not happen now.

I think it's a shame.

Iowa was a cracking album.

Slipknot have always been quite an unusual band. Making some pretty heavy stuff quite accessible to such a wide audience. Mixing radio friendly hits along with semi-brutal death metal like Eeyore or People=shit.

I reckon this is pretty damn good. So much energy.

YouTube - Slipknot - Eeyore *LIVE@TOKYO*

Hope they continue although the last album was a bit shit IMHO.