aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

RE: Chris Clark, I agree with whoever said we missed him terribly when he left, because it's true.

In terms of what the fans thought of him, I always got the impression fans' general confusion at the formation worked against how they perceived CC as a player.

Calderwood nearly always would play a midfield four (when fit) of:

Smith - Clark - Severin - Nicholson

I think most Dons fans (certainly the ones I sat around at the time) would have much preferred to see Nicolson and Seve in the centre, with Clark wide because as Phil said, he tended to pussy out of challenges a wee bit.

Clark is responsible for one of the single best challenges I have seen at Pittodrie, binning Alan Hutton in front of the Rangers fans in a revenge attack after Hutton had done likewise to Clark a couple of minutes earlier.

RDS Upper celebrated the challenge like a goal.

Guest idol_wild
RE: Chris Clark, I agree with whoever said we missed him terribly when he left, because it's true.

In terms of what the fans thought of him, I always got the impression fans' general confusion at the formation worked against how they perceived CC as a player.

Calderwood nearly always would play a midfield four (when fit) of:

Smith - Clark - Severin - Nicholson

I think most Dons fans (certainly the ones I sat around at the time) would have much preferred to see Nicolson and Seve in the centre, with Clark wide because as Phil said, he tended to pussy out of challenges a wee bit.

Clark is responsible for one of the single best challenges I have seen at Pittodrie, binning Alan Hutton in front of the Rangers fans in a revenge attack after Hutton had done likewise to Clark a couple of minutes earlier.

RDS Upper celebrated the challenge like a goal.

I was at that game! My absolute favourite was that infamous game with the snowballs when Aberdeen beat Celtic at Pittodrie. Darren Mackie was fucking incredible that game and I recall him absolutely nailing Joos Valgaeren (sic). A player almost twice his height and girth. Mackie bullied Mjalby that day too. It was a good day.

Fucking hate Celtic.

I don't know how to convince you that your argument is fundamentally flawed, so I'll stop trying. I'll leave it with this; the SPL has its critics and its drawbacks, but the standard of League One and below is laughable. Most of the Championship is comparable to an SPL game, only we view the SPL cup as half-empty. Strip away the Sky and BBC hype and all you have is a piss-poor bunch of hammerthrowers in the English lower-leagues; no different to any nation in the world.

Disagree. There's plenty of horse sides, but the top half of the division has always seemed to have alot of quality within it. Southampton and Brighton have excellent squads this term, with a player or two in each who are being looked at by Premier League clubs. Leeds were down there for a few years too with an excellent crop of players, two of which also ended up in the Premier League (though I've got no idea what actually happened to Fabian Delph after he moved to Villa). There seems to be a remarkable amount of big name managers in charge of League One clubs at the moment too, more than in recent years anyway.

In terms of overall quality, I do think most sides in the SPL, barring the Old Firm, would struggle to make an impact in the Championship. Even on paper, comparing the squads of Hearts and Dundee Utd to the likes of Cardiff, and QPR, there is still a gulf of difference.

Guest idol_wild
Disagree. There's plenty of horse sides, but the top half of the division has always seemed to have alot of quality within it. Southampton and Brighton have excellent squads this term, with a player or two in each who are being looked at by Premier League clubs. Leeds were down there for a few years too with an excellent crop of players, two of which also ended up in the Premier League (though I've got no idea what actually happened to Fabian Delph after he moved to Villa). There seems to be a remarkable amount of big name managers in charge of League One clubs at the moment too, more than in recent years anyway.

In terms of overall quality, I do think most sides in the SPL, barring the Old Firm, would struggle to make an impact in the Championship. Even on paper, comparing the squads of Hearts and Dundee Utd to the likes of Cardiff, and QPR, there is still a gulf of difference.

Good post. Even midtable League One squads like Charlton and Colchester are, in my estimation, considerably stronger and laced with more footballing ability than the average SPL squad.

At the very end of the day: some users of this forum rate the SPL and don't rate English football, whilst others don't rate the SPL yet rate English football. Bottom line, really.

While I agree that there is a fair bit of quality in England outwith the Premiership, I think we as a nation are incredibly negative about our domestic football. Even when United have had prolonged periods of being gash, I have always enjoyed going to shout such managerial gems as "we're playing in tangerine United" and "one of you, god, have you never played together before?" from the stands. When we've been good (Cup wins, European football, good league positions), it's been all the more joyous.

*stands up*

My name is Jon, and I love Scottish football. Except the Old Firm, who can fuck off to the 19th century and take all their bullshit with them.

What's this racism nonsense? It's sad if the tartan army's reputation is tarnished because of one banana of unknown origin. It's pretty obvious our supporters have no such agenda.

Well I was at the game and I'm raging at the lad for his comments :swearing:

He is moaning that we were booing him because of his nationality/race. Any football fan can see he was getting dogs abuse for feigning injury earlier. He's a bloody talented player, but a big girl when it comes to taking a challenge.

The banana that was at his feet had been thrown from the BRAZILIAN end. Scotland fans were nowhere near that area of the pitch. When has a Scotland fan ever had fruit at a match!? Especially when there are pies on offer.

Also, why would we be racist when we are so good at Religious hatred :up:

The Daily Mash - Religious bigots deny racism

i don't care if scottish football is pish compared to english, i'd rather watch aberdeen vs hamilton than chelsea vs man utd because i'm an aberdeen fan. fuck entertaining football and talent, i have no emotional connection to it.

i really can't buy into the idea that colchester are a higher standard than hearts, dundee utd or aberdeen.

Guest idol_wild
i don't care if scottish football is pish compared to english, i'd rather watch aberdeen vs hamilton than chelsea vs man utd because i'm an aberdeen fan. fuck entertaining football and talent, i have no emotional connection to it.

i really can't buy into the idea that colchester are a higher standard than hearts, dundee utd or aberdeen.

Leagues One and Two are reet good leagues in my opinion. Some cracking players doing the business at those levels, for interesting clubs with a lot of history and pedigree. I just find the English leagues to be a bit more diverse and interesting really. Who fucking cares which is better.

By the way, as much as I criticise the SPL, I still think it's braw. In it's own way.

Football is fucking ace.

Problem with Scottish football is the continual dominance of the OF and having such small leagues. But then again only four teams have won the EPL and Blackburn had to spend massively beyond their means to get the title in 95 and were an inch away from losing it to Man Utd that season. It's difficult comparing the two league systems mind given the difference in population so you'd expect there to be more bigger supported clubs in England. But the EPL pretty much remains a monopoly as well, still the same teams up there year and year out.

The rest of the English league system is pretty good - usually exciting battles of promotion, play offs and relegations. With such small leagues in Scotland, teams often find themselves adrift or winning a league by a country mile. I think the Scottish League is good for the size of the country although it probably needs restructuring but no idea how you can make it anymore exciting or interesting.

What the fuck do I know anyway supporting a team in the fifth tier of English football who can't even beat relegation haunted Forest Green Rovers at home and have sucked themselves back in with an outside shout of relegation themselves?

A few of my mates from down south went to the Fife derby a few months ago. They were used to Premiership football and were blown away by a small but packed ground, a 3 all draw, a referee passing out and a replacement being found over the tannoy ect etc etc.

Two now have Raith tops and one has a Pars shirt. They all rave continually about the competition in Scottish first division fitba. I've got them coming through to Tannadice too. We've got a fair bit to live up to!

A few of my mates from down south went to the Fife derby a few months ago. They were used to Premiership football and were blown away by a small but packed ground, a 3 all draw, a referee passing out and a replacement being found over the tannoy ect etc etc.

Two now have Raith tops and one has a Pars shirt. They all rave continually about the competition in Scottish first division fitba. I've got them coming through to Tannadice too. We've got a fair bit to live up to!

It'll all be a let-down from here on in, you spoilt them too much for their first time. Anything else will be a disappointment.

BBC Sport - Arsenal identify German teenager as banana thrower

So what we've learned is:

A) He was getting booed because he's a cunt.

B) The banana was thrown from the Brazilian end.

C) By a German.

What a total non-issue.

D. He's also a cunt for playing the race card.

The race card-playing cunt.

Race-card-playing cunt with a shit haircut.

He can kick a ball reet good though.