aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Rangers do appear to have a larger proportion of idiots than most clubs but it's still no reason for their non idiots to be tarred with the same brush.

The problem for them though is the proportion of idiots seem to be the section that travel the most and the well behaved few are the silent ones. Perception is therefore 'most' of their fans are tools.

I resent being lumped into the same category as Rangers fans who are bigoted, sectarian arseholes that act like a bunch of cretins at home and abroad. I've known and met some of these types, and coming from a family that is predominantly Rangers supporting I'm probably related to some. I love watching Rangers play and happily wear my shirt, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start singing horrific songs about Tommy Burns or playing the sash on an invisible pipe. I don't condone the actions of people who do this, whether they are Rangers fans or not. I wholeheartedly condemn it in fact.

So I really wish people would quit tarring all Rangers fans with the same fucking brush.

You live in Portlethen dont you? Portlethen/Newtonhill/Stonehaven house many of the worst types of Rangers fan. A disproportionate percentage in the Arsehole:Non-arsehole ratio (even using the Rangers calculator, which accomodates 4x more than even the Hearts calculator). Of course there are nice Rangers fans (Lesley obviously being one, and I am friends with plenty more). You must see some absolute fucking mutants down the local.

It is akin to being a fan of The View's music; if I went to see The View because I absolutely fucking adore their songs, people aren't going to give a shit that I'm not a Ned. The majority of their fans are minks, therefore most poeple will say View fans are minks. Of course it's not an exact science and it fails to take into account the percentage of nice, pleasant, well-adjusted fans of The View. However, when all is said and done, the nice ones are not what one instantly thinks of when discussing fans of The View.

Now where it says 'The View', read 'Glasgow Rangers FC'.

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild
You live in Portlethen dont you? Portlethen/Newtonhill/Stonehaven house many of the worst types of Rangers fan. A disproportionate percentage in the Arsehole:Non-arsehole ratio (even using the Rangers calculator, which accomodates 4x more than even the Hearts calculator). Of course there are nice Rangers fans (Lesley obviously being one, and I am friends with plenty more). You must see some absolute fucking mutants down the local.

It is akin to being a fan of The View's music; if I went to see The View because I absolutely fucking adore their songs, people aren't going to give a shit that I'm not a Ned. The majority of their fans are minks, therefore most poeple will say View fans are minks. Of course it's not an exact science and it fails to take into account the percentage of nice, pleasant, well-adjusted fans of The View. However, when all is said and done, the nice ones are not what one instantly thinks of when discussing fans of The View.

Now where it says 'The View', read 'Glasgow Rangers FC'.

That's just your view, though.

Unfortunately a look a some youtube comments shows that Aberdeen has more than a fair share of idiots associating themselves with the club.

Anbody with half a brain can deduce that internet one-upmanship, point-scoring and general wind-uppery != the true sentiments of most fans.

Go on any Youtube footage of Rangers/Celtic and you will see pages upon pages of bile and hatred. However, I would never use these as 'evidence' of their supporters' scumminess because they are almost always a bit of internet opposition-baiting. They can't be taken seriously, much like radio call-ins and 'Fans' News and Views' columns in papers.

I refer to real-life evidence; the actual actions of paying fans of Rangers at football matches. These instances are where they are shown up for despicable behaviour.

Scottish football will continue to go down the tubes while both halves of the Old Firm are allowed to operate with total impunity. If they moan about the lack of competition, they should be fined. If they moan about how they want to play in England, another fine. If they moan about referees having an agenda vs them (so monumentaly false and laughable) the fine should be in the seven figures. If they moan about how they deserve more TV money, fine them some more.

In summary, they spend all day every day telling the world how shit Scottsih football is and how they hate being here. Simple solution; shut the fuck up or fuck the fuck off.

Don't even start me on that little cunt Neil Lennon and his comments regarding referees. He should have been banned from the thouchline for the entire season and his club should have been fined seven figures. Referees are now so petrified of giving decisions against Celtic for fear of more death threats and vilification in the press that they have ruined the game for every other team in the SPL. I can't blame the refs; they are shit-scared now because they saw what happened to Dougie McDonald and his colleagues. The rest of the teams in the league are the ones who bear the brunt; Andy Considine's ludicrous red-card after 90 seconds a few weeks ago is an obvious reference point, but that is far from the only example. Simply; Celtic have every official in Scotland in their back pocket right now, because the SFA and the SPL are too spineless to truly punish them.

• Upvote 1

Christy, I live in Newtonhill, but I know exactly what you're on about with regards to the area I stay in and the Rangers fans. If I go to a pub to watch a Rangers game I'll probably go to Enigma in town rather than anywhere in Portlethen purely because of this.

I see where you're coming from with The View analogy, but at the same time I still think it's daft to take a group of people with something in common and assume they are all the same. I'm not going to say I've never been guilty of this in my life, but with a few exceptions (Nazis, rapists etc.) I generally try not to.

Scottish football will continue to go down the tubes while both halves of the Old Firm are allowed to operate with total impunity. If they moan about the lack of competition, they should be fined. If they moan about how they want to play in England, another fine. If they moan about referees having an agenda vs them (so monumentaly false and laughable) the fine should be in the seven figures. If they moan about how they deserve more TV money, fine them some more.

In summary, they spend all day every day telling the world how shit Scottsih football is and how they hate being here. Simple solution; shut the fuck up or fuck the fuck off.

Don't even start me on that little cunt Neil Lennon and his comments regarding referees. He should have been banned from the thouchline for the entire season and his club should have been fined seven figures. Referees are now so petrified of giving decisions against Celtic for fear of more death threats and vilification in the press that they have ruined the game for every other team in the SPL. I can't blame the refs; they are shit-scared now because they saw what happened to Dougie McDonald and his colleagues. The rest of the teams in the league are the ones who bear the brunt; Andy Considine's ludicrous red-card after 90 seconds a few weeks ago is an obvious reference point, but that is far from the only example. Simply; Celtic have every official in Scotland in their back pocket right now, because the SFA and the SPL are too spineless to truly punish Celtic.

On this, however, I am in complete agreement with you. In fact, I was going to rep you for it but apparently I have to spread it around first.

I resent being lumped into the same category as Rangers fans who are bigoted, sectarian arseholes that act like a bunch of cretins at home and abroad. I've known and met some of these types, and coming from a family that is predominantly Rangers supporting I'm probably related to some. I love watching Rangers play and happily wear my shirt, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start singing horrific songs about Tommy Burns or playing the sash on an invisible pipe. I don't condone the actions of people who do this, whether they are Rangers fans or not. I wholeheartedly condemn it in fact.

So I really wish people would quit tarring all Rangers fans with the same fucking brush.

Just admit it.

You're a cunt. :p

Christy, I live in Newtonhill, but I know exactly what you're on about with regards to the area I stay in and the Rangers fans. If I go to a pub to watch a Rangers game I'll probably go to Enigma in town rather than anywhere in Portlethen purely because of this.

I see where you're coming from with The View analogy, but at the same time I still think it's daft to take a group of people with something in common and assume they are all the same. I'm not going to say I've never been guilty of this in my life, but with a few exceptions (Nazis, rapists etc.) I generally try not to.

Certainly. I am not referring to all Rangers fans; as mentioned, I have a lot of time for plenty of them. However, I am not going to attach an asterix to every comment re. Rangers fans. There are, quite simply, more cunts amongst the Rangers support (both numerically and proportionately) than any other team that I have encountered.

The old cliche about the actions of a few spoiling it for the majority needs to be re-evaluated when applied to Rangers; the actions of the majority spoil it for the intelligent and well-adjusted few.

Until the time that this behaviour changes, then I'm afraid that you will continue to be pre-judged and stereotyped by a lot of people. Rangers supporters are synoymous with scumbaggery, and not without good reason.

Certainly. I am not referring to all Rangers fans; as mentioned, I have a lot of time for plenty of them. However, I am not going to attach an asterix to every comment re. Rangers fans. There are, quite simply, more cunts amongst the Rangers support (both numerically and proportionately) than any other team that I have encountered.

The old cliche about the actions of a few spoiling it for the majority needs to be re-evaluated when applied to Rangers; the actions of the majority spoil it for the intelligent and well-adjusted few.

Until the time that this behaviour changes, then I'm afraid that you will continue to be pre-judged and stereotyped by a lot of people. Rangers supporters are synoymous with scumbaggery, and not without good reason.

Fair point well made.

Hugh, I'm actually a complete cunt in most aspects of my life, but when it comes to football I am the very picture of civilised. :up:

What does everyone think of the Rooney incident not being taken further? By the law there's nothing they can do as the ref says he dealt with it but if he really saw the elbow Rooney should have been off.

I think football really needs a rule change to allow incidents to be looked at after the game, even if the ref "dealt with it". Flamini's challenge in the champions league is another great example, it wasn't a yellow he should have been off and got at least a 4 match ban for it.

I think it's pretty appalling that nothing has or can be done about it tbh. You're right - if the ref really did see it and 'deal with it' he should've have been off.

See also: Lee McCulloch assaulting Michael Paton at Ibrox a season or two back. There's a gif somewhere if it can be found.

O big Lee. He's just misunderstood.

13ztvf9.jpg

What does everyone think of the Rooney incident not being taken further? By the law there's nothing they can do as the ref says he dealt with it but if he really saw the elbow Rooney should have been off.

I think football really needs a rule change to allow incidents to be looked at after the game, even if the ref "dealt with it". Flamini's challenge in the champions league is another great example, it wasn't a yellow he should have been off and got at least a 4 match ban for it.

It's a daft law. But then again, Clattenburg is an idiot, and he has reviewed the situation but has still submitted to the FA that his decision was correct. I'd understand him getting the decision wrong on the day but then holding his hands up after seeing a TV replay, but he hasn't, the blind git.

Decisions, especially of violent conduct like this, should be able to be reviewed and punished accordingly, despite what action the referee has taken. It's just common sense. Thuggish players throwing their weight around need the book throwing at them on every occasion, and not just a poxy fine that they'll never feel the dent of.

Here's my email to our 'most read' papers:

Subject: Reverse the trend...

...of ignoring the wrongs of Scottish football. As a non-old firm supporter I'm used to having to read all about the 2 largest clubs in Scotland in your paper and rightly so, considering most of your readers will support either Rangers or Celtic. My concern is that much like the SPL, you seem to ignore stories which shame these clubs and fans. I've highlighted 2 recent stories from Rangers exploits in Lisbon which are well discussed on many SPL football messageboards below. I have no doubt you are aware of these stories already, as I must not be the first to send you these links; yet you decide to leave them unreported? Is it because you are worried that the 'big two' will withdraw opportunities for pre and post match interviews if you bring them bad press? Are these clubs 'untouchable' in your eyes? If so, shame on you for playing a part in the demise of our country's reputation amongst the football world.

Link: Rangers fans celebrating Tommy Burns death.

Link: Rangers fans pouring beer on a homeless man, before throwing him in a fountain

I look forward to any response

Regards

Ross Paterson

Inverness Caledonian Thistle fan

• Upvote 1