aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
Hindsights amazing gladstone but I really believe we would've been bottom six with calderwood as well. Mcghee was the obvious candidate at the time but it didn't work out, it happens. Look at Celtic with the strachan/mowbrey changeover.

Indeed it is. I wasn't talking specifically about McGhee as being the wrong appointment, just the head-calling for Calderwood. I said it at the time, that Calderwood had done a really good job at Aberdeen - I don't think it's a coincidence that just before Calderwood took over Aberdeen had been shite for years, and then when he left, they went instantly downhill again. He was doing a good job and would have continued to do a good job in my opinion.

I admit that I thought McGhee was a decent appointment, but I wasn't criticising that appointment at all. I think Brown is exactly the kind of appointment that Aberdeen need. I said to my mate the other day that someone like Jim Jeffries would be good for Aberdeen and he almost chinned me for that one. But I reckon he would have been the kind of "steady head" that would be good for Aberdeen right now - he appears to have turned Hearts around quite a bit, but my mate's argument was that he has a bit of money at Hearts that he just wouldn't get at Aberdeen which is probably a very good point!

Strachan/Mowbray - very similar situation to be honest. Celtic fans calling for the head of our most successful coach in years, just because they didn't like him. I didn't think Strachan should have been forced out, he was doing a very good job. Mowbray - I thought was a good appointment and I was very disappointed how that turned out. I think we're probably doing the right thing now with Lennon. I hope that regardless of how his first season or two turns out in terms of trophies that they keep him in the job and give him 3 or 4 seasons to prove himself - I think we would reap the benefits of that and he could be our manager for many years to come. That won't happen though, if Rangers are looking at 4 or 5 in a row, the fans will be desperate for some sort of O'Neill type messiah to win the league just once or twice to stop the "in a row" counter. Fucking football fans piss me off.

I don't think it's a coincidence that just before Calderwood took over Aberdeen had been shite for years, and then when he left, they went instantly downhill again. He was doing a good job and would have continued to do a good job in my opinion.

No.

We didn't go instantly downhill, in Calderwood's last 16 games he only won 3 and got papped out of the cup to Dunfermline. The rot had started while he was still in the job. Unfortunately McGhee couldn't do anything to stop it or even to stabalise it and instead we descended to the shite state we're in now.

Guest Gladstone
No.

We didn't go instantly downhill, in Calderwood's last 16 games he only won 3 and got papped out of the cup to Dunfermline. The rot had started while he was still in the job. Unfortunately McGhee couldn't do anything to stop it or even to stabalise it and instead we descended to the shite state we're in now.

Fair enough.

The fans had turned on him before that though hadn't they? I wonder what sort of affect that had on him/the team? All hypothetical of course.

It does seem that Aberdeen's problems stem from farther up than the managerial post though.

Does Willie Miller serve any purpose at AFC? Serious question!

Hopefully Brown turns things around though - I don't want an SPL that doesn't have Aberdeen in it!

Yeah, Calderwood would have been operating under reduced resources as well, I'm sure McGhee could have done better with the likes of Anderson, Nicolson, Jamie Smith etc.

As I've said before, if Calderwood was so great, how come he's still out of the game? You would have thought your St Mirrens/Hibs/Motherwell/Dundee Utds etc would have taken a punt on such a great footballing brain.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah, Calderwood would have been operating under reduced resources as well, I'm sure McGhee could have done better with the likes of Anderson, Nicolson, Jamie Smith etc.

As I've said before, if Calderwood was so great, how come he's still out of the game? You would have thought your St Mirrens/Hibs/Motherwell/Dundee Utds etc would have taken a punt on such a great footballing brain.

Interesting points that I hadn't really thought about. At the start of this season I thought Aberdeen looked like they had a team full of good football players, but from that early top of the league success, Aberdeen have just gone from bad to worse recently. McGhee has had Hartley, Aluko, Maguire at his disposal - all of which should be good players. Zander Diamond used to be a very good centre half under Calderwood - what the hell has happened to him? Would Calderwood have let his full backs all disappear in one foul swoop? Who knows...?

Has he really put himself forward to any of these clubs? He maybe doesn't want to work for any other clubs in Scotland outside the old firm having done a good job (on paper) with Aberdeen, he wants to make a step up to a bigger club either in Scotland which realistically means Rangers or Celtic or elsewhere. Remember, in his head, he is the next Alex Ferguson.

Does Willie Miller serve any purpose at AFC? Serious question!

I am guessing that a man who ran three separate fish and chip shops into the ground and was by all accounts a pretty shit football manager, actually doesn't have much of a financial or footballing influence at the club. I would argue his is just a face for the club; Stewart Milne does a lot less interviews now that they have Miller to address the fans and he is the one who is often left to deal with awkward questions and situations in the public eye.

Guest Gladstone
I am guessing that a man who ran three separate fish and chip shops into the ground and was by all accounts a pretty shit football manager, actually doesn't have much of a financial or footballing influence at the club. I would argue his is just a face for the club; Stewart Milne does a lot less interviews now that they have Miller to address the fans and he is the one who is often left to deal with awkward questions and situations in the public eye.

Do Aberdeen fans still retain respect for him, given that normally when I hear an Aberdeen fan talking about Willie Miller they're asking what the fuck he does at/for the club and that he should get to fuck?

Maybe he should get to fuck and free up some money for a full back...

Do Aberdeen fans still retain respect for him, given that normally when I hear an Aberdeen fan talking about Willie Miller they're asking what the fuck he does at/for the club and that he should get to fuck?

Maybe he should get to fuck and free up some money for a full back...

miller is still a legend and is there to represent the football affairs in the boardroom. he has rearranged the youth setup bringing the well regarded lenny taylor back and has helped bring a lot of investment into this area.

i hate seeing folk bring up his failed businesses, it's got fuck all to do with his responsibilies at aberdeen. but he should be taking more responsibility for the failures on the field and perhaps clarifying his role and what the club are doing for the future.

personally i have no problems with him being there, i think it's a good thing to have the clubs greatest ever player on the board. though it would be good if he could go chapping on doors and look for investment, i think people would be more impressed if miller was asking them rather than milne.

Guest Gladstone
miller is still a legend and is there to represent the football affairs in the boardroom. he has rearranged the youth setup bringing the well regarded lenny taylor back and has helped bring a lot of investment into this area.

i hate seeing folk bring up his failed businesses, it's got fuck all to do with his responsibilies at aberdeen. but he should be taking more responsibility for the failures on the field and perhaps clarifying his role and what the club are doing for the future.

personally i have no problems with him being there, i think it's a good thing to have the clubs greatest ever player on the board. though it would be good if he could go chapping on doors and look for investment, i think people would be more impressed if miller was asking them rather than milne.

Fair point. I think the main problem seems to be that nobody really knows what he does or is meant to do at AFC.

Transparency is normally a good thing - if fans could see what good Miller is doing or at least trying to do, that could only be a good thing.

Surely he could get down to the training ground and show a few of the boys how to fucking defend...!?

Guest Gladstone
Well, you can say that goalkeeping hasn't been a strong point since he went. I do wonder just how good he is though and how much of it is an old boys thing,

Fuck knows how good a goalkeeping coach he is, but by fuck he was an amazing keeper in his day.

I know a guy who played for Aberdeen about 10+ years ago (through the youth set up, but trained with the first team, and was on the bench a few times for the first team). Jim Leighton psyches himself up for games by sitting in a pair of y-fronts (nothing else) with his goalie gloves on, bouncing the ball repeatedly for a good 5 minutes - all the time staring ferociously at the ball, and noticing nothing else going on round about him.

The BBC always chooses brilliant pictures for it's articles.

_50403807_010835813-1.jpg

The award for best 'awkward make up kiss' of the year goes to..

Haha - quality!

Money City should offer Tevez an incentive to stay...maybe a new neck, coz that Freddy Krueger/Nikki Lauda thing he has at the mo is just mingin'

Pity he's such a petulant and bolshy wee cunt, coz he's a great player and his work rate is phenomenal.

Feel sorry for Big Sam. He's spent very little and he dragged them out of trouble in his first season. Finishing 10th with that squad is pretty smart as well. Ewood Park was Fortress-like last season too. United and Chelsea failed to win there. I hope he doesn't get lumbered with the West Ham job. That's a sinking ship. He should replace Mancini. Let's see him and Fergie be friends after that.

"Swept aside like a turd on a wedding aisle"

Guest Gladstone

He'll be managing Real Madrid this time next year...

Game last night was a bit disappointing. Well, Arsenal were disappointing. Why wasn't Nasri playing through the middle where he's been crucifying teams lately?

Some heeder from Park.