aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Out of curiosity, who do you think are "really, really" good in the entire Scotland squad? Like has been said, I think Scotland are at the level of a top 6 championship team.

4-3-3, I wouldn't have done personally. but 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 was a definitely on. Don't like Levein but it is ridiculous to ask for him to be fired atm.

I think Gordon, Hutton, Darren Fletcher, (given time) Dorrans and Steven Fletcher is a really good spine for a Scotland team. Unfortunately, they're not being used correctly.

EDIT: The latter three, that is.

Out of curiosity, who do you think are "really, really" good in the entire Scotland squad? Like has been said, I think Scotland are at the level of a top 6 championship team.

4-3-3, I wouldn't have done personally. but 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 was a definitely on. Don't like Levein but it is ridiculous to ask for him to be fired atm.

4-3-3 pretty much is 4-5-1 by todays standards. The widemen push up when in possession to make up the 3, and drop back when not to make up the 5. Unless you're Chelsea, then it's 4-3-3 when not in possession and 3-1-6 when they are.

If I were the gaffer, I'd bring in Kris Commons a bit more. He's a poor mans Frank Lampard, but he's got great vision and a keen eye for goal. He's probably one of few Scottish players who can play a forward pass with a bit of intent about it too. He really wanders about and doesn't just stay glued to his position. That attacking freedom is difficult to mark and keep pinned down.

There'd be no harm in giving Robert Snodgrass a go either. He hasn't really played at a high level yet, but I think he's capable of it. Looks very confident with the ball at his feet and can actually run forwards with it for more than 10 yards and not tumble over. Two feet too. and can fling it into the box from either flank.

But I'm not the gaffer. Your loss.

I think Gordon, Hutton, Darren Fletcher, (given time) Dorrans and Steven Fletcher is a really good spine for a Scotland team. Unfortunately, they're not being used correctly.

EDIT: The latter three, that is.

Hutton, D.Fletcher and maybe Gordon are the only ones there that could be classed as really good, in an international context though, no? Dorrans and S.Fletcher play for struggling premiership teams. I'd hardly count that as really really good. Jus' sayin'.

Hutton, D.Fletcher and maybe Gordon are the only ones there that could be classed as really good, in an international context though, no? Dorrans and S.Fletcher play for struggling premiership teams. I'd hardly count that as really really good. Jus' sayin'.

The quality of the team doesn't necessarily indicate the quality of the player though. He's not Scottish, but I've always thought Kevin Doyle is a top notch striker, but he's always played for teams lingering around the bottom of the Premiership or in the Championship. I personally think he could play for an upper mid table side like Villa or Birmingham and do a fine job. He was even linked with Arsenal last season.

Alan Hutton struggles to play consistently for his club, so just because he's at a more comfortable Premier League club, I don't think that makes him a more worthy player.

However, you do have a point. I think the team a player plays for can hinder their chances as an international. Like Matt Le Tissier, who was quite probably the most gifted English player of his generation, but he turned down moves to Spurs and Man United, stuck with Southampton, and played for England less than 10 times.

Similarly, I don't think Darren Fletcher would get into the Scotland side if he played for West Ham, or whoever else is struggling in the PL. He plays for a side who tend to dominate games, but in games that United don't dominate, Fletcher looks ineffective. Which is why I don't think he's suited for Scotland. He can run the game when his side are on top. He steadies the ship and tidies up, but I don't think he can play an underdog role.

West Brom are sixth.

Not every 'world class' player needs to play for a Champions League side, though, do they? Marchetti, Italy's goalkeeper (while Buffon was injured) in the World Cup plays for Cagliari, and he's excellent.

I have a lot of belief in the players, they're the same lot from McLeish's reign, give or take a couple, and that was by all accounts a good Scotland side. The only thing that's different now is totally negative tactics and bizarre selections.

Out of interest, what constitutes a "big spender" at that level? What sort of money are spent on transfer fees? Do teams with more money tend to use it more to pay higher fees or attract players with higher wages?

The commentator mentioned a 'five figure sum' being spent on fleetwood's centre half.

Crawley Town Paid 275k for York City striker Richard Brodie. It's been reported their manager has funds of up to a million in the transfer window if needed although Crawley's manager has denied this! They're being bankrolled by someone who won the Euro Millions lottery!

At conference level its more about the wage budget than transfer fees regarding 'big spenders' as most players move around clubs on a free so Crawley shelling out that kind of money for a player is the minority as opposed to the minority. Apparently Cambridge have a wage budget of 800K a year which according to our manager is in the top 8. Mansfield Town have just been taken over by a local millionaire.

More and more investors are investing at this end of the spectrum as obviously it's much cheaper! Sadly we don't have a massive backer but do have a chairman whose a lifelong supporter and keeps filling in the gaps when the club loses money!

Crawley Town Paid 275k for York City striker Richard Brodie.

Wow, that seems huge for that level. Especially in the current state of football.

How long's it been since Aberdeen spent that much on a transfer fee?

It's an interesting development that millionaire football fans have been pushed out of the top end of football by the arrival of the billionaires and are now taking their money down to the lower levels.

it is, thats a conference record for a player. He is pretty good as you'd expect. Little shite always scores against us!!!! In comparison we only paid for one player 10k for Daryl Clare and thats proving to be wasted money so far! But as I say you don't get many transfer fees down here as most players are on short term contracts.

Sadly we don't have a massive backer but do have a chairman whose a lifelong supporter and keeps filling in the gaps when the club loses money!

Pity he can't fill in the gaps when you keep losing points!

Looks like we may have to put off our anticipated CU Vs Barnet league match, Next year Barnet will be BSP but you guys will be (knowing your luck) BSN*.

*You'd expect BSS but, as I said, knowing your luck...

Pity he can't fill in the gaps when you keep losing points!

Looks like we may have to put off our anticipated CU Vs Barnet league match, Next year Barnet will be BSP but you guys will be (knowing your luck) BSN*.

*You'd expect BSS but, as I said, knowing your luck...

We're in the northern half of the draw for the FA Cup today! I'd like to say we're too good to go down but having seen some of the dross we've played this season I'd be lying. But we should have enough in the tank to get out this mess. Better performance yesterday but should we lose at home to Barrow next Saturday that good result will mean nothing!

No longer an essential piece of silverware, then?

:down:

It's a fucking Diddy Cup and means absolutley fuck all. Nev will agree with me.

Crawley Town Paid 275k for York City striker Richard Brodie. It's been reported their manager has funds of up to a million in the transfer window if needed although Crawley's manager has denied this! They're being bankrolled by someone who won the Euro Millions lottery!

That'll be Steve 'Criminal' Evans' lot aye? Wanker of the very highest order....