aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Champions league final done, so this season can officially be declared dead to me. Let's look towards the next season! woo!

So Aberdeen already signed an International defender and will be rising pheonix like from the ashes of the season just passed to race into europe again. :)

Let the crazy close season transfer talk begin!

Our super star net-minder and fan-voted Player of the Year, Lee Grant, has committed his future to Wednesday, despite interest from Championship and Premier League sides. He claimed he felt partly responsible for the relegation, as he was part of the team that failed to secure a safe position, so is not going anywhere, despite Aston Villa courting him for 2 or 3 years now. Top lad!

The Premier League interest isn't unwarranted. He's very good, and possibly one of very very few players we can consider indispensable. I just hope we can secure Luke Varney on loan again too, or even buy him, as Clough jr as declared him surplus to requirements at Derby. He's unglamorous, but he works hard, and links our increasingly negative midfield to the increasingly isolated Marcus Tudgay.

On the plus side, in the coming season we might win more games than we lose, for the first time for a long time. On the flip, Hillsborough is due to be emptier than ever.

Jags pre-season fixtures against Bristol Rovers (tbc) Dumbarton, Clyde and the Spiders have not really got my juices going for the upcoming season!

Looks like being a tough old campaign: really need to sort out a decent keeper and bolster our striking options if Buchanan ends up going, but we have nae money at all. At this stage I'd reluctantly take another season of mid-table mediocrity if it meant sorting out the unused end of the ground and getting a half decent money-spinning cup game or two. Only consolation is that quite a few other teams are in similar tight corners, and that Cowdenbeath got promoted.

Roll on the inevitable first-round-of-the-diddy-cup defeat to Annan or suchlike....

saw this advert last night on the telly: Nike Football - World-class football boots. World-class pros.

very good, i liked the simpsons bit. and rooneys beard.

I posted this in the last football thread. It's possibly the greatest advert ever made. I like how when Cannavaro makes the goal line clearance, his future is going to see some sort of burlesque dancing. Kobe Bryant's step-over celebration was great too. Amazing advert.

No word on any of our preseason games yet, but from paper talk it's been suggested we'll be doing an English tour and then some Highland League teams (which is fine for me, as I can get along during the school hols)

Delighted that Foran, Hayes and Cox have signed up for another 2 years. They really are too good to play for us; so having them for tied down is fantastic news. Just waiting to hear back from Esson and Tokely to see if they sign their contracts (Rossco has an offer from Turkey and Esson isn't happy with the terms of his contract.

Looking forward to any signing news. We desperately need another defender or two.

I can't say I'm particularly excited about next season. Who knows what the club's situation is going to be. I don't think there will be any players brought in and I doubt we'll actually be bought over and all the paper talk about Andrew Ellis and anybody else who is interested in Rangers is irrtating me. I just want some truth. I have renewed my season ticket though.

us fans are currently working with the board at the moment to plan and realign short and long term objectives for MFC. Given the plight of lower league footy in Scotland, it's hardly surprising that everybody is having to rally behind their clubs more than ever. I'm actually taking on a commercial role at the club.

I'm intentionally not thinking/talking about the playing side for the season ahead for as long as possible :D

Ribery has finally signed a new contract at Bayern. Thank fuck for that. Hopefully that'll be one less want-away mercenary shitbag who'll be crying for Real Madrid to stick a bid in for him this summer.

In a way, I'm sort of wanting Fabregas to go to Barca, because then Wenger just HAS to spend some money, despite it always being available anyway. He's got holes all over his squad, and despite them having great players for the future like Wilshere, Ramsey and Vela, and to a lesser extent, Gibbs, they've got no one coming through the ranks who can catch a ball in a pair of padded rubber gloves to save their own life. Almunia is as consistent as British Summertime, and Fabianski is literally incapable of performing ANY of the fundamental tasks of a goalkeeper to a high enough calibre to warrant being paid any sort of salary for it. Catching. Jumping. Diving. Positioning. Distributing. All of it. It is all fucking terrible. He's so bad that I just don't know what would happen to him if he was transfer listed. At any price, no one would buy him. The only club stupid enough to buy him have already got him. Get your cheque book out, Arsene, or the 'Goals Scored Against Arsenal' montage is going to have to be issued as a Box Set.

Quite optimistic about Cambridge's chances of finally making it back to the promised land of league football and participation in the league cup and Johnstone's paint trophy...

As always some teams like Luton and Wrexham are throwing the cash around and trying to buy their way out the league but we gotta a stable manager whose an eye for a bargain, a number of enthusiastic kids who've come through the youth system and according to the gaffer just 4 players away from a completed squad which is pleasing considoring its not even June yet.

Of course all that optimism will be shattered when some tinpot part time team come to the Abbey first game of the season and turf us over but its marathon not a sprint!!!

Arsene Wenger should be sacked if he fails yet again to buy a decent keeper.

I think he should be sacked if he fails to compete for anything this yeas. They should be able to forge a decent cup run at least. They've got great resources, good scouting and a manager who can read the game as good as anyone, but they fall short, and crumble every March/April. They could be the best, but I just don't think they ever will be with Wenger in charge. He seems to fail to see where his team is weak, and even if he does see it, he is too stubbourn to patch it up.

Guest Gladstone
I think he should be sacked if he fails to compete for anything this yeas. They should be able to forge a decent cup run at least. They've got great resources, good scouting and a manager who can read the game as good as anyone, but they fall short, and crumble every March/April. They could be the best, but I just don't think they ever will be with Wenger in charge. He seems to fail to see where his team is weak, and even if he does see it, he is too stubbourn to patch it up.

King Jose to Arsenal?

I can't see him going anywhere other than Real Madrid, which is a shame. I don't think Madrid is the place to go for any manager with ambition, as he'll be axed in a couple of years regardless of what he wins. He also won't be given complete control, and I think that will irk him quite a bit. He will say that he hates Spain, and will probably come back to England.

Guest Gladstone
I can't see him going anywhere other than Real Madrid, which is a shame. I don't think Madrid is the place to go for any manager with ambition, as he'll be axed in a couple of years regardless of what he wins. He also won't be given complete control, and I think that will irk him quite a bit. He will say that he hates Spain, and will probably come back to England.

At the end of 2010/2011 season and go to Arsenal.

You heard it here first.

Guest Gladstone
I predict Hbs and Motherwell getting pumped out of Europe in the Qualifiers to some diddy team from Finland or suchlike.

You can probably add Celtic and Rangers to that list...

EDIT: I forgot you're a die-hard hun, so you probably won't agree.

Guest Gladstone
We don't have any qualifiers! :p

Just get punted from the group stages by two big teams and some team from the back of beyond instead!!

That is what I meant - couldn't be arsed typing it all out though. Rangers will effectively be in a Europa Cup qualifier with some diddy team, who will get 3rd spot, punting you out at the first group stage...

We'll have managed to embarrass ourselves much earlier on in the season though...